L10C Nichia 219

markr6

Flashaholic
I decided to do a runtime test with my L10C w/ Nichia 219 since MEDIUM it's not listed in the specs. After looking thru some other posts on the L10, 8 hours seemed to be an estimate.

Since I don't have any proper device to measure the output, I used a lux meter app on my iPhone 5 to get a relative number. While it doesn't mean much, it is fairly consistent and less subjective than my eyes alone.

I used a freshly charged 2nd gen Eneloop for this test (mfg 2011). I wanted to use my 2500mAh Eneloop XX for this, but I was in a hurry and couldn't find them. I also received some new 4th gen Eneloops, but didn't have them fully charged yet.

hh:mm:ss
00:00:01 - 590lx
07:00:00 - 589lx
07:33:45 - 43lx

Unfortunately I got distracted and missed the time when it started dimming. But somewhere between 7:15 and 7:33 was when it started to dim substantially.

Around 7:40, it was still putting out a decent amount of light (maybe comparable to LOW setting). When I turned it off and back on, it would not even work on LOW.

Pretty good! So at least 7hrs is a safe bet with a healthy 2000mAh cell.

WOAH! Wait a minute...as I'm typing this it just came on by itself right in front of me on my desk! LOL. Pretty bright too! I thought it was clicked off!

Like the L10, it's one of my favorite lights despite being the least expensive!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for test results. I always thought it was weird that they didn't provide a listing for the medium runtime, and now we know. BTW, I agree that what's important is the relative output number, which shows excellent consistency over the main 7 hours of output. Very nice.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also ran a few runtime tests with my L10 N219 twisty... I got the same as you, 7.5 hrs, on an Eneloop BUT the cell is years old and my C9000 refresh/analyze function rates it's capacity ~1600 mah, so I think the light can do ~9 hrs on a new Eneloop. That said, I meter it at 20 lumens (ET/47s scale).

Try a low lumen run.... I got 49 hrs on a 1600 mah Eneloop at what I meter 2.5 lms.... should do ~60 hrs or double the spec, a refreshing breath of conservatism :).

markr6

Flashaholic
One of the few lights I can carry and not notice...especially with dress pants where everything seems to weigh 10x it's actual weight!

The deep carry clip is key. One reason I don't carry my SC52w often is the tail protruding from my pocket, and the overall thickness. It may not look like much, but compared to something slim like this L10C, the difference is night and day.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I just found out about the L10C. Already had an L10 (or two) on my wishlist since they came out, but the lack of clip and clicky held me back, as well as availability.

Unfortunately I can't find any locally and shipping from SB will cost me $15,-

markr6

Flashaholic
I tried a 14500 in mine last night. Had to use a small ball of foil to extend the button top. As expected, the modes were high>barely higher>crazy bright! Very impressive, but not something I would ever do for practical use.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not so good that shipping.
if it was half , I would probably order.
Im sure if it was illumination supply, it would be around $6.80.
Hopefully they will stock some up real soon for us Europeans!.

I just found out about the L10C. Already had an L10 (or two) on my wishlist since they came out, but the lack of clip and clicky held me back, as well as availability.

Unfortunately I can't find any locally and shipping from SB will cost me $15,-

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a 14500 in mine last night. Had to use a small ball of foil to extend the button top. As expected, the modes were high>barely higher>crazy bright! Very impressive, but not something I would ever do for practical use.

I'm surprised that the high voltage doesn't fry the light. It must be designed with just a boost driver, since it's meant for 1xAA.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm surprised that the high voltage doesn't fry the light. It must be designed with just a boost driver, since it's meant for 1xAA.

A few members reported using 14500s in their L10 lights regularly, so I figured it would be the same here. But like I said, not practical in my opinion with basically 3 high modes :eek:.

"14500 batteries are not recommeded, because they heat up quickly." per specs

hatman

Enlightened
Mark, how does your L10C compare to your Xeno E03 Nichia?

Is one noticeably brighter?

markr6

Flashaholic
Mark, how does your L10C compare to your Xeno E03 Nichia?

Is one noticeably brighter?

That's a really good question! Didn't think to compare them, but I did compare my L10 (twist version) and Xeno E03 last year. They were very similar in person; I think the only difference was due to the slightly different beam pattern.

e03_l10.jpg

BTW, last night I compared my L10 and L10C, mainly to check for tint differences. I took photos, but they were honestly so close it wouldn't be worth the time to get off my camera and post. My D25LC2 Nichia 219 is another story...much warmer and I almost like it better. Can't decide since they both so nice!

Last edited:

turkeylord

Enlightened
Got mine on Monday & am happy with it.

L10C and L10 with their Maratac peers and my most compact 18650 lights (Zebra H60w and H600w MkII) for comparison. All pocketable in my book.
NH1W8a5l.jpg

I like the L10C, but I also like running 14500s, so it will probably get a lithium cell and live in my backpack or center console.

I think my ultimate is going to be the clicky copper Maratac body with a 219B modded 47s Mini MA pill. :D

liquidrazer

Newly Enlightened
I love my L10C however, it broke. I replaced my Foursevens Preon1 with the L10C for EDC. I came home from work one day last week and when i went to use my L10C, it just didnt work. I didnt drop it or abuse it or anything and was a week old. im pretty sure i would have remembered busting my *** and breaking the light on butt. but anyways sbflashlights is RMAing it. Fingers crossed! Anyone else have an issue like this?

Edit 1: i used a 3rd gen eneloop and a regular duracell to confirm that the light died. didnt even get a full cell discharge out of the light before failing. =/
Edit 2: i received my replacement on 2014-10-21. seems to be working fine. i will say that the anodizing is more green tinted on this replacement. doest matter to me, just figured i would mention it.
Edit 3: the replacement died 2014-12-22. i am done with this light.

Last edited: