Can you really buy 7000 lumen for £30? B$?

Satansjester

Newly Enlightened
Hi
So I was telling a mate how I've got a few flashlights including a tk35ue modded by vin and he tells me he got a 7000 lumen light from ebay for less than £30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7000LM-CR...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2c73677c99

what's the crack with these lights? I've been on the forum long enough to be aware of mighty claims on the internet but does this really do what it claims?

what are the drawbacks to these cheap lights from china? (If any)

many thanks for any input.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as buying lasers from the bay.

These people would be hard pressed to tell you what a lumen or millawatt is, much less give an accurate number.

I've seen tiny single emitters claim 5000lm off a single xml.
I've also seen 10,000mw from a $20 laser pen.

Just marketing to the ignorant.

These companies use the cheapest quality parts available. You get what you pay for.

ven

Flashaholic
Certainly not 7000lm but does depend on leds and how its driven,even if you say 4-500lm per led then 2000lm would be a guestimate.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumen is most likely the aggregate (if multi led) of the LED's maximum capable output as advertised by the led manufacturer. What is not taken into account would be how hard the light is driven, the transparency of the lens, loss in efficiency due to poor reflector quality etc. The premium lights over no name ones would give you the light with better design, better implementation, tighter QC, customer service, etc.

Satansjester

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,
as I suspected to be honest, its easy to claim ten billion lumen and sell cheap stuff to people.

i was a bit worried when I saw it and mentioned to him that he needs to take care when charging it etc, as it's probably got the cheapest cells (probably unprotected?) available in it, he did say he left it on charge for 3 days once...

As I was looking at the ebay page he said "yeah, bet you want one of those now don't you!?"

err, no... no I don't.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The usual rubbish from the flea and there other site glue tree is even worse mainly full of junk and many many fakes.People should realise nothing gets thrown away.How do you think Poundland etc sells brands so cheap?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't trust it. No information about what kind and how many batteries. Just an extreme lumen advert. Not serious.

TotalDbag

Newly Enlightened
Though that

Doesn't match that...... Unless they got some crazy low output/voltage 18650's

magicstone12

Banned
even though it has an max output of 7000 lumens ,but what is the runtime?How long can it last? If a few minutes, if is not useful