Is the new Zebralight SC52 L2 XM-L2 button mushy or have a definite click to it?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently upgraded my Zebralight SC600 to the newer SC600 MKII XM-L2 model.

I am not that happy with the mushy soft button on it!

I would like to know from those that have already bought the new SC52 XM-L2 whether the button has a nice definite click to it or is it soft and mushy before I buy one.

If the new model is mushy I will pass on it.

CHEERS

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my sc52w l2 when they were new months ago. Mushy switch and i appreciate it.

Later production units have a hard click switch so you may get lucky.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my sc52w l2 when they were new months ago. Mushy switch and i appreciate it.

Later production units have a hard click switch so you may get lucky.

I have emailed a few sellers to ask about the button before I buy one but how do you know that they will tell you the truth.

I have no replies just yet from sellers.

I trust CPF owners of these lights quite a lot more!

I just like the solid feedback of the original button.

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your SC52 L2 have 4 modes of beacon and strobe?

The Zebralight website only mentions beacon and 4hz and 19hz.

My SC600 XM-L2 has four beacon strobe modes.

Beacon at low lumen.

Beacon at a high lumen.

Strobe at 4hz.

Strobe at 19hz.

CHEERS

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I trust the owner of IlluminationSupply. I had several talks with him about ZL products and the info on his stock was clear and detailed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a SC52w-L2 from IS this week. I posted a review of the differences between it and the older SC52, but as for the button, here is my summary:

The SC52w-L2 switch is definitely softer than the SC52. It takes approximately half the pressure to activate the button compared to the SC52 (which I think is definitely hard). However, the SC52w-L2 takes about 4x the pressure to activate compared to a TV remote control (which is definitely mushy). So, I would say it's "soft", but I wouldn't go as far as "mushy". It makes a clicking sound, but it's more quiet than the SC52.

Another difference is the amount that the button is raised. My SC52w-L2 button is slightly more recessed than my SC52, approximately 0.5mm. This makes it more difficult to "double-click" if you have a fat thumb. I have to make sure my thumb is well centered over the button if I'm double-clicking to change modes. Or maybe it's because there's less tactile feedback than the hard SC52 button (which I'm used to).

Whatever the cause, I don't have any problems with single presses. But I sometimes fail to properly double-click. Maybe this will just take some adjusting to the softer button before I get it right. Right now, I still prefer the hard-click of the SC52.

Another issue that came up in a different thread is how well centered the electronic switch button is under the rubber cap. I think the button on my SC52w-L2 may be positioned slightly above dead-center. It's more difficult to activate the button if I press below center than if I press above center. So I think there's some tolerances in button placement, which is not surprising. Pressing in the center is no problem, though, and as I said earlier, you kind of need to because the depression has a small diameter and stops fat thumbs.

Oh, and there are only two stobe modes. A blinkie, and a rapid stobe.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a SC52w-L2 from IS this week. I posted a review of the differences between it and the older SC52, but as for the button, here is my summary:

The SC52w-L2 switch is definitely softer than the SC52. It takes approximately half the pressure to activate the button compared to the SC52 (which I think is definitely hard). However, the SC52w-L2 takes about 4x the pressure to activate compared to a TV remote control (which is definitely mushy). So, I would say it's "soft", but I wouldn't go as far as "mushy". It makes a clicking sound, but it's more quiet than the SC52.

Another difference is the amount that the button is raised. My SC52w-L2 button is slightly more recessed than my SC52, approximately 0.5mm. This makes it more difficult to "double-click" if you have a fat thumb. I have to make sure my thumb is well centered over the button if I'm double-clicking to change modes. Or maybe it's because there's less tactile feedback than the hard SC52 button (which I'm used to).

Whatever the cause, I don't have any problems with single presses. But I sometimes fail to properly double-click. Maybe this will just take some adjusting to the softer button before I get it right. Right now, I still prefer the hard-click of the SC52.

Another issue that came up in a different thread is how well centered the electronic switch button is under the rubber cap. I think the button on my SC52w-L2 may be positioned slightly above dead-center. It's more difficult to activate the button if I press below center than if I press above center. So I think there's some tolerances in button placement, which is not surprising. Pressing in the center is no problem, though, and as I said earlier, you kind of need to because the depression has a small diameter and stops fat thumbs.

Oh, and there are only two stobe modes. A blinkie, and a rapid stobe.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your description.

It is the quick double presses that are hard to do compared to my older SC52.

I think I will be sticking with my older SC52 as I have no problem at all with operating it.

On the new one I sometimes have to look at the LED to see what level it is on at lower lumen outputs.

I would love to be able to change the button on my new SC600 XM-L2 to a harder more positive one.

Why can't they leave things alone that already worked well?

CHEERS

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will be sticking with my older SC52 as I have no problem at all with operating it.

IMO, it's not worth the upgrade from SC52 to SC52-L2. The improvements are minor: a bit better heat-sinking (likely only an issue on a 14500), a somewhat brighter XML2 LED (little difference to the eye), and a strobe by triple-clicking (which I personally don't like).

The reason why the SC52w-L2 is my new EDC, is that it has the neutral-white LED. I much prefer the tint of the neutral white compared to my cool white SC52. That's much more important to me than the feel of the switch, though I do wish they had kept the old hard-switch. The switch seems to be a personal preference, some like it, some don't.

BTW, the tint of the SC52w-L2 is great. Especially when compared to the greenies that seemed to be a problem with the SC52w (and SC52). It's on the warm side of neutral, and a pretty consistent beam with only a little yellow/green in the corona. It's not as good as a Nichia 219 LED, but it's still very good.

On the new one I sometimes have to look at the LED to see what level it is on at lower lumen outputs.

Make sure you have it set to the brightness of moonlight mode you want. When I compare the SC52w-L2 to the SC52 brightness levels, including the 3 moonlight modes, all of them are the same. The dimmest moonlight mode on both the lights is difficult to see unless you're staring right at it. It's okay for navigating around a room in total darkness, but not much else. I'm still glad they include that level for the rare times I actually want it.

I would love to be able to change the button on my new SC600 XM-L2 to a harder more positive one.

I hear ya. I don't think anything is replaceable or modable on Zebralights.