Cranky flashlights

schuster

Newly Enlightened
I tend to buy goodies in pairs; use one, keep the other in reserve.

I ordered the first ARC AAA's from Mr. Gransee way back. Both of them were DOA due to a problem with electrical contact in the head (he replaced them immediately). One has been in service, the other kept in reserve. When I lost the first one on a trip, I pulled the other out of the drawer only to find it dead too. I mailed it back but it seems to have gotten lost and nobody at ARC could find evidence of my having returned it.

Two of my CMG Infinity task lights have developed intermittent contact in the head and were replaced.

I also have two CMG Sonics. One would not light after replacing the battery or opening the cover. Shaking or squeezing the barrel helped; CMG said there was intermittent PCB contact and to try shoving a pencil eraser up the tube to cram it in place. Then it died completely; awaiting replacement. My second Sonic pressed into service ... after a week is it exhibiting the same symptoms!

Why is electrical contact such a big issue with LED flahslights? sheesh.

Empath

Flashaholic
Hmmm.... maybe you're with flashlights like some people are with watches. Some people can't wear a watch without it stopping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I don't think I'll let you near my lights. Nope, no way.
Just kidding. It sounds like you've had a run of bad luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I used to have a similar problem with cell phones and PDAs--I'd have to exchange more than one in order to get a properly working device.

Probably won't make you feel better, but your run of cranky lights is just a coincidence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Much as I love these little LED lights, I can't escape from the feeling that they're inherently less reliable than models with no electronics. Always carry backups.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Much as I love these little LED lights, I can't escape from the feeling that they're inherently less reliable than models with no electronics. Always carry backups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Paul,

You are absolutely correct, DirectDrive baby! I know, I know, there are now converter-ized lights among the mods I make, but I always have a DD light or two around -- just in case...

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
You might want to try spraying some contact cleaner of some sort into the circuitry of the faulty lights. I had an Infinity Ultra that would flicker and I'd have to fight with it to get it to come on, sprayed some CRC 2-26 in there and haven't had a problem since. I've had a few bad Arc AAA's and a AA that I had to send back, tried spraying the AA but didn't help any. It might help and probably wouldn't hurt.