MAG-TAC Battery Help Needed

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
I would like to purchase a charger and rechargeable batteries for my two Maglite MAG-TAC flashlights. I have been searching on both CPF and the Internet, but so far I have not come across a whole lot in the way of recommendations. I am therefore reaching out to the experts here for some suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
I am presently leaning toward the recommendations provided on Robin24k's website.

Lithium-phosphate LFP123A's are the safest type of rechargeable 123A, and we've had great results with the batteries from K2 Energy.
I haven't been able to find better lithium-phosphate 123As than the K2 Energy LFP123A. You can get them from SureFire or direct from K2 Energy [...link removed per forum rules...]. House Of Batteries [...link removed per forum rules...] supplies SureFire, but I'm not sure if they have minimum quantity requirements. I got my charger kit from SureFire and additional batteries from K2 Energy.
UltraFire batteries are dangerous to begin with, regardless of what application, because the manufacturer is known for poor QC and repurposing used batteries. Most 123A lights are not designed to be used with 3.6V or 3.7V lithium-ion batteries if compatibility is not stated by the manufacturer.If you want to use rechargeable cells in the MAG-TAC, we recommend K2 Energy lithium-phosphate LFP123A as they are much safer than lithium-ion.

Before I commit to ordering a charger and lithium-phosphate batteries from Surefire, however, I would appreciate some additional thoughts, suggestions, and discussion from the rest of you.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
212 views (plus another 200 in the general section) without a single reply...

I hate being the new guy. :(

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. I have no idea the voltage requirements of that flashlight so I can't help much. Lifepo4 cells are not very popular due to the fact they have very low capacity and too low voltage for light designed for lithium ion but too high for lights designed for cr123 unless specifically made for them like some surefire lights. I'm sure those cells are of good quality though if surefire sells them

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
I sent an email to Maglite asking what rechargeable batteries they recommend using in place of disposable lithium 3V CR123A batteries. I will post whatever response (if any) that I get from them.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Here is the response I got back from Maglite after specifically asking what rechargeable batteries they recommend using in the MAG-TAC in place of disposable lithium 3V CR123A batteries.

We do not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries in standard Maglites® because rechargeable batteries are rated at 1.2 volts, whereas standard batteries are rated at 1.5 volts. By using rechargeable batteries you loose .3 volts per battery, which means you will have less light output or a dimmer light. Another reason is because the discharge curve on rechargeable batteries stays at a higher voltage longer than standard batteries so the lamp life is less.

Don

Are you kidding me?! :mad:

If this is the kind of service I can now expect from Maglite I will never buy another one of their flashlights again. :thumbsdow

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya they've always said no rechargeables. Their reasons aren't very sound. Especially since alkaline batteries are not 1.5V under load. And you're talking 3.2v batteries

HKJ

Flashaholic
We do not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries in standard Maglites® because rechargeable batteries are rated at 1.2 volts, whereas standard batteries are rated at 1.5 volts. By using rechargeable batteries you loose .3 volts per battery, which means you will have less light output or a dimmer light. Another reason is because the discharge curve on rechargeable batteries stays at a higher voltage longer than standard batteries so the lamp life is less.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Translation: Because rechargeables has less voltage and they have more voltage we cannot recommend them.
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Yep...

That is one of the stupidest email responses I have ever received from a customer service department.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
On a side note: Woohoo!

:party:

I am now enlightened! (Although at the moment I still feel very much in the dark. LOL!)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Alone In The Dark,

Wow... That is bad on so many counts that I can't begin go over all of them. That response sucks big time.

Isn't the idea to have a bright light?

Oh well...

Tom

VicDpaladin

Newly Enlightened
I would like to purchase a charger and rechargeable batteries for my two Maglite MAG-TAC flashlights. I have been searching on both CPF and the Internet, but so far I have not come across a whole lot in the way of recommendations. I am therefore reaching out to the experts here for some suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Im not expert and i also seek same answer as you. I only arrive at conclusion that the only rechargeable battery fit safely for mag tac is RCR123A 3V LiFePO4, since the product's user manual doesnt tell the maximum voltage. You can search for compatible charger on google but i found that NITECORE D2/D4 is most suitable. Im looking forward to purchase the battery soon. Good luck.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 3.2 V K2 Energy LiFePo batteries in my Mag Tac.......don't know if 3.7 V Li-Ion 16340 cell are safe to use in the Mag Tac or not (I don't have any to try and there is some risk of the added Voltage frying something). I charge the K2 LiFePo's on a Xtar VP2 charger.