Armytek Predator / Viking Pro users: how do you have it set up?

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I'm considering a Predator Pro as a car light and to join my floody edc lights as a massive thrower for when the days will get shorter again.
However, I'm having some doubts about the UI and how you can set it up. How do you use your Predator or Viking? And if you're not a LEO / securityguard, what do you mainly use it for?

My thought was to program the first like (head tight) at 75% - 80% of full power (so not turbo, but high - roughly 350 - 400lm). The second line would probably have a low medium (30-ish lm), the maximum mode and the slowest 1Hz strobe (for static traffic cone purposes). Maybe a 100-ish lumen mode in between the 30 and max, but again, that's where the EDC's live.

No real moonlight or anything needed since I have that on pretty much all of my EDC / small lights and I don't think I'd use the predator all on it's own all that often. It's nice to have, considering I might also take this light on a camping trip, and then a whole other style of modes might be needed. That's the nice thing of a programmable interface.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have mine on stock. Don't really need to change mine for what I use it for.
Traffic cone can be difficult to fit on because of the strike bezel.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Traffic cone can be difficult to fit on because of the strike bezel.

Thanks for that heads up. I thought the Nitecore NTW40 looked like it had a pretty long straight base so it would probably fit ok. If not, some minor modifications or duct-tape might just be enough to get it steady.
Fenix has one too, as does Olight I think, and there's also some generic ebay ones.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget the exact values but mine looks something like this:

Head-loose: .1L -> 1.5L -> 5L
Head-tight: 40L -> 150L -> 300L -> 500L

I say 500L cause that corresponds to selfbuilts OTF number for 100% output level for the Pro. I like this setup cause I tend to use this light in two ways, indoors late at night with a diffuser and outdoors for throw. So one line is for indoor and the second line is for outdoor. I could probably condense the second line down to 50->200->450 or something but I like the way it is now. For regulation I usually run stepped but sometimes run the full regulation mode as well.

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Thanks Wiggle, very helpful.

Do you have many other lights (almost afraid to ask around here) and do you find yourself using the Predator a lot indoor? For my case it seems a bit too throwy, and I usually have one or two AA/AAA style lights around. The predator would be purely outdoor for me, although that still needs one or two low modes probably. I always have trouble comprehending the combination of massive throw and low modes, but that's just how I use my lights :)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Wiggle, very helpful.

Do you have many other lights (almost afraid to ask around here) and do you find yourself using the Predator a lot indoor? For my case it seems a bit too throwy, and I usually have one or two AA/AAA style lights around. The predator would be purely outdoor for me, although that still needs one or two low modes probably. I always have trouble comprehending the combination of massive throw and low modes, but that's just how I use my lights :)

I have several lights that make alot more sense to use indoors: Zebralight SC52, Quark AA-T R5, Olight O'pen, Preon P0 (but this is on my keychain usually) but I often find myself reaching for the Predator. I think because the Predator is easy to find and grip in the dark compared to the smaller lights and with the diffuser provides a better indoor beam than any light I have besides the pure flood Preon P0. Sure it's bigger than it has to be but 18650 lights feel the best in hand for me. I also like knowing that if a noise I want to investigate comes up I can tighten to the other line, pull the diffuser and have a capable thrower in less than a couple seconds.

The Predator without the diffuser is not a good indoor light however. The hotspot is tight and the spill is narrow too. I agree with your point about low outputs and high throw not making much sense. Low modes only get used with the diffuser for me. It would really be interesting if Armytek could bake this interface into a more EDC oriented light. The amount of customization would be very impressive.

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
It's a bit surprising how many people left it on stock. I'm still considering buying the none-pro Predator since I can get that for about $30 less. However, I kind of like the idea of being able to set it up, even if I might never actually do that...
The idea of a general purpose ~300 lumen mode on line 1 and a 20 + turbo + semi-beacon mode on line 2 seems very appealing though, as is the option to add a moonlight mode for camping etc.