Fenix LD 41 Battery Life

bo35107

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing the Fenix LD 41 (680 lumen model) but i am not sure what the battery life would be like using Alkaline batteries.
So on the Fenix website the LD 41 is rated to

Turbo: 680 lumens = 1.25hrs

High: 240 lumens = 5.75hrs
Mid: 85 lumens = 21hrs
Low: 10 lumens = 150hrs

And my question is, If you put Alkaline batteries in the LD 41 instead of NIMH batteries, would there be much of a difference in run times between the two types of batteries and would Alkaline batteries even be able sustain 680 lumes for more then a couple of seconds?

Regards,
Kieran
:)

Wolf359

Enlightened
halve it on turbo and high the high drain killed my Procells, on medium i was getting 15 hours with procells

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best solution is to use Nimh Batteries Sanyo Eneloop (now known as: Panasonic Eneloop)

If you want to use non-rechargeable batteries look at the Energizer L91 Lithium.
Advantage Energizer L91 Lithium:
No loss of acid
Autonomy very high (3000 mA)
Frost resistance (-40C°)
Low weight (40% lighter)
Low internal resistance
Capable of delivering high current (ideal of powerful flashlights)
No self-discharge - very high a period of storage
They have a higher cost of alkaline but have many advantages

They are admitted according to data from Fenix
(From the manual of the Fenix ​​LD41)

v8gi.jpg

(Translate with Google Translator)

Enlightened
Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing the Fenix LD 41 (680 lumen model) but i am not sure what the battery life would be like using Alkaline batteries. So on the Fenix website the LD 41 is rated to Turbo: 680 lumens = 1.25hrs High: 240 lumens = 5.75hrs Mid: 85 lumens = 21hrs Low: 10 lumens = 150hrs And my question is, If you put Alkaline batteries in the LD 41 instead of NIMH batteries, would there be much of a difference in run times between the two types of batteries and would Alkaline batteries even be able sustain 680 lumes for more then a couple of seconds? Regards, Kieran:)
Low may last longer than on NiMH. Medium could go either way. High and turbo you can forget about it. In the end you should pony up for NiMH batteries so you won't have to worry about leaks destroying your new toy.

Wolf359

Enlightened
I bought 5 x 8pk's of the panasonic pros for my LD41's/D40A's/E40's yep real 4 X AA tart. That being said the Panasonic Pro's do last about 20% longer runtime compared to the eneloop white cells, but remember the white cells 1500 recharge cycles compared to the Pros 500 recharge cycles. White eneloops offer better VFM but at the cost of runtime, but realistically using medium and low will not make any real world differance.

If you want a low moon mode the D40A offers a 1 lumen one btw.

My LD41's are the 520 lumen version

bo35107

Newly Enlightened
Thank for your advice!
I think I will go and get some l91 lithium batteries instead of using alkaline ones but how much of a difference would l91 lithium batteries make compared to alkaline ones?

thanks

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank for your advice!
I think I will go and get some l91 lithium batteries instead of using alkaline ones but how much of a difference would l91 lithium batteries make compared to alkaline ones?

thanks

Difficult to answer exactly.
Around 30% more battery life.
But why do you prefer non-rechargeable batteries?
Look good and cheap as a charger Sanyo MQR06, it is sold already with 4 Eneloop,
Spend more, but after an initial investment, you can use your light with no problems and no extra charges

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be silly using Alkies in the LD41 unless you get them for nothing from work or you have no monetary worries in buying them.Buy a set or preferable two sets of Eneloop(or type) and feed the light with a spare set as a back up.I see no advantage to you in using Lithium unless you live in a very cold area or you have no real need to use the light very much.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as batteries go, I REALLY like the new Duracell Ion Core 2400s. They're reasonably cheap and easy to find ($11 for four at Walmart). Capacity is actually underrated, and the increase over Eneloop 2000s is VERY welcome when spending lots of time on the trail. And they seem to be a well-built Japanese made battery. Some believe that these cells are actually rebadged Eneloop Pros, as they seem to perform exactly the same. But thus far, this hasn't been proven to be true. Regardless, my Duraloop 2000s sit largely unused since I started using the Ion Cores.

bo35107

Newly Enlightened
Grand thanks, I will just have to go and get some rechargable batteries and maybe some lithium ones just to try them out and i really like using non-rechargable batteries because when i go away on camping trips and stuff like that, i dont think there would be the facilities at a camp site to charge batteries. :)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like using non-rechargable batteries because when i go away on camping trips and stuff like that, i dont think there would be the facilities at a camp site to charge batteries. :)

Depending on where you camp, there will also not likely be places where you can buy more alkaline batteries. And if there IS a store out there, you will probably pay ALOT for plain old alkalines (and not be able to buy L91 lithiums). You would be better off from both a performance and economic standpoint bringing with you extra rechargeable batteries. And with good high capacity NiMH batteries such as the Duracell Ion Core widely available, you don't have to worry about rechargeables having significantly lower capacity than alkalines. Also, if you camp alot, you should look into other recharging options such as solar chargers or even just using a 12V car charger (if you are car camping, that is).

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grand thanks, I will just have to go and get some rechargable batteries and maybe some lithium ones just to try them out and i really like using non-rechargable batteries because when i go away on camping trips and stuff like that, i dont think there would be the facilities at a camp site to charge batteries. :)

In the UK there would be plenty of facilities and the secret is to go prepared and in the case of the LD41 you are making a big mistake running it on Alkies but seems you are not listening so i am out good luck.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go wild camping probably not but on a managed campsite if you need a satellite dish, they'll give it to you so I don't think finding a socket will be a problem. I'd recommend Energizer lithium though: much lighter to carry than alka-leaks and nihms and they are supposed to give better runtimes too. Just buy a few before leaving for your trip: online you can get them for €4 a pack instead of the €10 to 20 you'd get charged in supermarkets.

For every day use, you are better off using eneloops or other high-performance nihms: mid long term it's going to save you a lot of money while keeping your flashlight safe!

bo35107

Newly Enlightened
I was mostly concerned about when my scout group goes on weekend hikes and the battery usage is high and there might not be sockets in the smaller campsites that we would be staying at. But thanks for your advice, I will purchase some energiser l91's and some eneloop batteries and a charger but would anyone happen to know the best/cheapest place to buy those types of batteries? :)

regards

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mostly concerned about when my scout group goes on weekend hikes and the battery usage is high and there might not be sockets in the smaller campsites that we would be staying at. But thanks for your advice, I will purchase some energiser l91's and some eneloop batteries and a charger but would anyone happen to know the best/cheapest place to buy those types of batteries? :)

regards

I pay a pack (4 batteries) of L91 Energizer approximately 6.50 euro (in the supermarket)

If you live in Europe, I think the best place for Eneloop and charger is the site Nkon (Dutch site)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Fenix LD41 with 520 lumens max has a better runtime of 2 hours and 10 minutes according the official specs. The difference between the 520 and 680 lumens isn't much.