Review: Eagle Eye X6 (1x XM-L2, 1x 18650)

unknown001

Newly Enlightened
Eagle Eye X6

Reviewer's Overall Rating: ★★★½

Summary:

Battery: 1x 18650
Switch: Reverse Tailcap Clicky
Modes: 5: High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS
Memory: Yes (Off, ~3seconds)
LED Type: 1 x XM-L2 3C (Neutral)
Lens: Glass
Reflector: Aluminum (Smooth)
Tailstands: No
Price: $18.89 Shipped

Pros:
Very comfortable to hold for long periods of time, which you will be doing if you have this flashlight.
smile.png

Machining is superb

• Smooth edges
  • no 'play' in any threaded connections
  • knurling provides grip, but not overly aggressive
Annodization is flawless
Flawless reflector
Perfect, square, lubed threads
No visible/audible PWM
Surprisingly small, makes for a easily pocket-able thrower.
Great thermal management
Serious mod potential
Price

Cons:
Bezel is slightly darker than the rest of the light.
5 Mode driver
Tailcap boot sticks up a bit too far and prevents tailstanding.
Battery tube has very small ridges on the inside and wide protected cells (KP/Generic wrap NCR18650B) tend to catch every now and then and need to be twisted slightly to slide down the rest of the way (No damage to cells or wrap after several battery swaps, it is just a bit annoying).
A bit under-driven.

Function/UI:
Tailcap current (Amps):
HighMediumLow
(Protected & Unprotected NCR18650B 3400mAh)

14300 cd @ 30sec
Standard reverse tailcap clicky switch operation.
Click on. Half press for mode change. H-M-L-Strobe-SOS
Strobe is a fairly slow strobe.

Pictures:
The light arrived in the standard bubble mailer, crushed white box, and bubble wrapped flashlight inside. Got here without a scratch. http:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]It came with a replacement GITD tailcap boot, 2 O-rings, a decent lanyard, and an extremely sturdy clip. Fairly uncommon for a light in this price range.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dPMpPGb.jpg

Here's a 360 view. I'm not a clip guy, but this is a very nice clip. The fact that it is still on for the pictures is saying something.
smile.png

NHLLS2c.png
DCUO13W.png
oJGUB47.png
VO2vWmO.png

7r14JMT.jpg

Some close ups of the fine machining.
JjGKJpv.jpg
eMlO6qj.jpg
QbDft6z.jpg

Mini Breakdown:

tJ700id.jpg

Here are those beautifully lubed, square threads.
19DHz43.jpg
V0Ez1rK.jpg

Perfectly centered XM-L2 Emitter. It's tough to see, but the glass lens is actually a bit dirty on the inside. It did wipe off easily after disassembly though.
6D6kjqN.jpg

Back of the head.
TnRH19Y.jpg

Bezel threads. Triangle cut, plentiful, lubed, O-ring seats beautifully.
Note: One BLF user received this flashlight that had heavily glued bezel threads. Several BLF members and I have received Eagle Eye X6 flashlights with zero glue in the bezel threads.
rNqnVRA.jpg

Back of the reflector. Fits right down around the XM substrate, and away from the solder joints.
hyXAk6s.jpg

The XM-L2 emitter on a 20mm star is secured with some screws.
y6wYI6b.jpg

Size Comparison:
Left to Right: Sk68 - Convoy S2+ - Eagle Eye X6 - Solarforce L2 - Convoy C8
The knurling is a bit more 'grippy' than the S2+, a bit less aggressive than my L2's knurling. A bit more Matte than the L2.
BWY1HqL.jpg

Beamshots:

As with all my beamshots, all pictures are taken in manual mode at the same settings.

The distance is 50yards to the center tree with the majority of the trunk showing.

Eagle Eye X6 : High - Medium - Low
8qWprnD.gif

I wanted to show a wide range of XM-L/XM-L2 lights. All lights are on their Highest mode. All stock except the noted P60.
29dJyXo.gif

I pulled the 3 closest to the Eagle Eye X6. The Convoy (OP Reflector) is slightly brighter with a bit more throw which is consistent with the measured 19kcd and 2.8A drive. The Tangsfire (SMO Reflector) has a much more focused beam measured at 26kcd and 3.4A.
s3smEem.gif

Conclusion:

Simply put, the Eagle Eye X6 is a great light.

It is definitely among the elite few in the less than $20 flashlights that have this level of build quality. The only significant issue I have with this flashlight is the drive current. I would like to see at least 3A drive in a light like this, but it should be able to handle 3.5-4A.
Taking that into consideration and the minor cons of this flashlight like the small ridges inside the battery tube, no tailstanding, color mismatch, and 5 mode driver, I rate the Eagle Eye X6 a 4.5 out of 5.

As far as modding is concerned, I plan on very simply swapping out the driver and reflowing the XM-L2 to a copper star. The result will probably replace my Convoy C8.

This flashlight was provided by Banggood for review.

Last edited by a moderator:

caleb_v

Newly Enlightened
very cool light!!! you say that you want to change the driver. where do you get a driver with a better amp draw?

unknown001

Newly Enlightened
very cool light!!! you say that you want to change the driver. where do you get a driver with a better amp draw?
Banggood/Fasttech/Kaidomain
They carry the particular driver I would use. Nanjg Ak101 (sometimes listed as 'Nanjg 101' or 'Nanjg AkA1'). It needs more 7135 chips stacked up from the stock 1.4A.

If you want to avoid all of that you can still get in on the GroupBuy over at BudgetLightforum. They are doing some awesome things with this light, which includes:
  • Custom Driver and UI
  • A) Amps to 3.5, Turbo w/3 minute stepdown to 2.5 amps (about 71.4%).
    B) Modes: (Turbo/100%, High-stepdown/71.4%, Med./25%, Low/5% and Moon/1%). Starts on moon. One 1/2 click to get it back on Turbo after stepdown.
  • AR Lens
  • Copper mcpcb

ruke

Enlightened
go to this link & ask them to add you to the list: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/32715

pick of CW & NW..

Banggood/Fasttech/Kaidomain
They carry the particular driver I would use. Nanjg Ak101 (sometimes listed as 'Nanjg 101' or 'Nanjg AkA1'). It needs more 7135 chips stacked up from the stock 1.4A.

If you want to avoid all of that you can still get in on the GroupBuy over at BudgetLightforum. They are doing some awesome things with this light, which includes:
  • Custom Driver and UI
  • A) Amps to 3.5, Turbo w/3 minute stepdown to 2.5 amps (about 71.4%).
    B) Modes: (Turbo/100%, High-stepdown/71.4%, Med./25%, Low/5% and Moon/1%). Starts on moon. One 1/2 click to get it back on Turbo after stepdown.
  • AR Lens
  • Copper mcpcb

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang. That is one serious light for 20 dollars. How well is it holding up? How reliable compared to say a Fenix.

1dash1

Enlightened
Eagle Eye X6

Reviewer's Overall Rating: ★★★½

Conclusion:

Simply put, the Eagle Eye X6 is a great light.

It is definitely among the elite few in the less than $20 flashlights that have this level of build quality. The only significant issue I have with this flashlight is the drive current. I would like to see at least 3A drive in a light like this, but it should be able to handle 3.5-4A.

Taking that into consideration and the minor cons of this flashlight like the small ridges inside the battery tube, no tailstanding, color mismatch, and 5 mode driver, I rate the Eagle Eye X6 a 4.5 out of 5.

Well, your wish has been granted. The Eagle Eye X6 now comes in a 4-mode version (turbo, high, medium, low + hidden strobe). The turbo mode is driven at 3.5A, puttng out somewhere around 1200 lumens. :)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLF-...-4Modes-LED-Flashlight-18650/32446517329.html

Not quite as nice a package as the BLF Special Edition, but nearly as good.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/39227