HDS rotary UI question

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I've tried to find the answer to this, but their UI, described only words on a page, makes my head hurt. I'm sure this is a dead-simple answer if you have one of these lights in your hands, but I for some reason can't wrap my mind around it.

Here's what my dream setup would be, if this possible?:

Click on = brightness selected by the rotary dial
Press and hold = MAX, both from ON and from OFF

Essentially, I want the momentary to always be MAX. I'm willing to lose the momentary function in other modes.

I know the current 250 rotary model, you have to click, press and hold for MAX. But that has both a delay in giving you the MAX, and a short pre-flash of the currently-selected Rotary brightness. This behavior puts me off, for my particular use.

I know they make a Tactical version of the Rotary, but I'd like to combine the EDC convenience of the full-range rotary control, with the simple "mash-the-button-for-MAX" mode to use with a sidearm in a stressful situation.

karp

Newly Enlightened
I've tried to find the answer to this, but their UI, described only words on a page, makes my head hurt. I'm sure this is a dead-simple answer if you have one of these lights in your hands, but I for some reason can't wrap my mind around it.

Here's what my dream setup would be, if this possible?:

Click on = brightness selected by the rotary dial
Press and hold = MAX, both from ON and from OFF

Essentially, I want the momentary to always be MAX. I'm willing to lose the momentary function in other modes.

I know the current 250 rotary model, you have to click, press and hold for MAX. But that has both a delay in giving you the MAX, and a short pre-flash of the currently-selected Rotary brightness. This behavior puts me off, for my particular use.

I know they make a Tactical version of the Rotary, but I'd like to combine the EDC convenience of the full-range rotary control, with the simple "mash-the-button-for-MAX" mode to use with a sidearm in a stressful situation.

I just received the rotary on Saturday. So you're saying you want to skip whatever the dial is at and go to max if you hold it down? The easy way to do that is just to twist it to max before turning it on. I would recommend always keeping the dial on max then. Also, you can triple click to go to tactical flash mode, which is a pretty cool feature.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I've kept the idea of always keeping it at max as a distant second. My priority is the momentary MAX. I can do that now by carrying a single mode Surefire, but I also carry a V11R for everyday tasks. If I can downsize to just the HDS but keep both the momentary MAX and the full rotary control via the "CLICK", then it'd be worth the $200 to me. But I need that KISS-principle MAX always available via simple press-and-hold no matter what the light is set at.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can quite get what you are asking for. If you set the default on mode to be max, you will have that as momentary. But when you click on, it will also have to be max. You would then need to double click, at least, to switch to the rotary setting.

So, if it clicks on to the rotary setting, that is what it will have for momentary. I don't know how to make the momentary from off different from the click on from off setting.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I would be OK with having to double-click to get to the rotary control, it would only be for everyday tasks where time if not of the essence. But, would the double-click go through a MAX pre-flash, since the single click would be MAX?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Actually, you would be turning on in max, double clicking to the rotary setting. So you would be in max until you finish the double click after the single click to turn on, three clicks in all. If the rotary is on a low setting, which you want, you would probably want to cover the bezel while clicking to prevent spoiling your night vision.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... But I need that KISS-principle MAX always available via simple press-and-hold no matter what the light is set at.

Momentary max from ON is my favorite UI "feature" and I'm looking for another light that can do it - will keep tabs on this thread to hear if the HDS can.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
As you can tell, I am no expert, but I do believe that the rotary does have momentary MAX when ON, my wish is that it would have it from OFF too. That's where I'd have to click-press-and-hold. From ON, it's much simpler, just press and hold for MAX.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Momentary max from ON is my favorite UI "feature" and I'm looking for another light that can do it - will keep tabs on this thread to hear if the HDS can.

The HDS can do that. Also several SureFire lights have that feature but all of them are just a little bit bigger than the HDS :devil:

As you can tell, I am no expert, but I do believe that the rotary does have momentary MAX when ON, my wish is that it would have it from OFF too. That's where I'd have to click-press-and-hold. From ON, it's much simpler, just press and hold for MAX.

Your understanding is correct. From OFF a single click or press and hold activate the same preset, whatever it may be.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

The HDS can do that. Also several SureFire lights have that feature but all of them are just a little bit bigger than the HDS :devil:

Your understanding is correct. From OFF a single click or press and hold activate the same preset, whatever it may be.

Thanks guys, the HDS's "... and hold" requirement doesn't sound like true momentary from ON - could you signal a fast morse code, or fire 2-3 flashes in <1 second, and the light always returns to its previously used low mode, for example?

I like Surefire's two stage switch though, that does look like a true momentary max from ON, and kind of from OFF, but it only has 1 low mode from what I can tell - I'm trying to beat a 0.3/3/20 lumen low with 400 momentary max from ON, and ideally in HDS or smaller size ;). But the OP's UI definition would be the ideal for me too.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, the HDS's "... and hold" requirement doesn't sound like true momentary from ON - could you signal a fast morse code, or fire 2-3 flashes in <1 second, and the light always returns to its previously used low mode, for example?

You couldn't do a fast morse code or several flashes in a second as there is a slight lag when using the momentary high mode. Aside from that it does return to the preset output when the button is released.

I like Surefire's two stage switch though, that does look like a true momentary max from ON, and kind of from OFF, but it only has 1 low mode from what I can tell - I'm trying to beat a 0.3/3/20 lumen low with 400 momentary max from ON, and ideally in HDS or smaller size ;). But the OP's UI definition would be the ideal for me too.

The two stage switch is effectively momentary max from on or off and as you noted it only provides two modes on lights like the L1, L2, LX2, EB1 and EB2. The bigger lights such as the UB3T Invictus, UBR Invictus, UNR Commander, and R1 Lawman have additional modes but they are about 10x the size of an HDS. You can get a similar effect with the A2L Aviator or K2 Kroma but they are nothing like the HDS either.

karp

Newly Enlightened
I've kept the idea of always keeping it at max as a distant second. My priority is the momentary MAX. I can do that now by carrying a single mode Surefire, but I also carry a V11R for everyday tasks. If I can downsize to just the HDS but keep both the momentary MAX and the full rotary control via the "CLICK", then it'd be worth the $200 to me. But I need that KISS-principle MAX always available via simple press-and-hold no matter what the light is set at.

It is, but you'll have a very brief, less than half second of whatever the dial is set at first.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You couldn't do a fast morse code or several flashes in a second as there is a slight lag when using the momentary high mode. Aside from that it does return to the preset output when the button is released.

The two stage switch is effectively momentary max from on or off and as you noted it only provides two modes on lights like the L1, L2, LX2, EB1 and EB2. The bigger lights such as the UB3T Invictus, UBR Invictus, UNR Commander, and R1 Lawman have additional modes but they are about 10x the size of an HDS. You can get a similar effect with the A2L Aviator or K2 Kroma but they are nothing like the HDS either.

Thanks 880arm... good info - UIs are not perfect, but may suffice for my purposes. Last couple of questions, do all the HDS and SFs lights fully support 16340s, or 16650/17670/18650s in 2 cell version (ie, all low modes retained at spec)? And do the SF two-stage switches twist lock-in low mode, and then allow momentary button presses? (Only video I found of it showed the two-stage momentary button, OR the two-stage twist action, but not the combo of both)

Thanks

KQL

Newly Enlightened
On the EDC Rotary, is there a detent at MAX on the rotary dial? How likely is the dial to move from MAX if carried in HDS's own kydex holster?

Thank you all for your help with this matter.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 880arm... good info - UIs are not perfect, but may suffice for my purposes. Last couple of questions, do all the HDS and SFs lights fully support 16340s, or 16650/17670/18650s in 2 cell version (ie, all low modes retained at spec)? And do the SF two-stage switches twist lock-in low mode, and then allow momentary button presses? (Only video I found of it showed the two-stage momentary button, OR the two-stage twist action, but not the combo of both)

Thanks

HDS supports the 16340s. SureFire is a mixed bag. Officially the only rechargeables they support are LiFePO4, specifically the K2 Energy LFP123 cells. Based on my experience and that of others around here you can use some of the other rechargeable chemistries but they aren't always a direct replacement for CR123s.

The SureFire two-stage switches can be twisted to activate constant-on low mode and still provide momentary maximum output with a full press of the switch.

On the EDC Rotary, is there a detent at MAX on the rotary dial? How likely is the dial to move from MAX if carried in HDS's own kydex holster?

Thank you all for your help with this matter.

There is a hard stop (actually a screw) that limits travel of the rotary tailcap in either direction. I don't have any experience with the Kydex holster but I wouldn't expect the tailcap to move when carried in it. It's easy to turn intentionally but still does a pretty good job of staying in one place, even when carried in a pocket.