Need help finding public financial records for house

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to ask the CPF collective if anyone knows what to search for or where to look when trying to find public records of all financial actions in a certain houses past. I'm looking for ownership info, any loans taken against the house and the like.

The house is in Marrero Louisiana (not mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I have the address and the present owner info.

The reason I'm looking is that we (my family) thinks someone forged my dads name on a loan against the house without his knowledge. The house is now up for sale and this is putting a halt to things. Mostly we are trying to get to the bottom of who did this.

I have found pages on Louisiana Government agencies, but I'm not sure which one to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what I'd do is hire an Abstractor to dig into it, they are the pros at doing that kind of stuff, lots easier than trying to track stuff down yourself. It will cost you some money though.

Yahoo lists a local outfit there you can call: YAHOO PAGE

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, we are going to search the public records at the courthouse tomorrow. If we can't find what we are looking for we might have to use an Abstractor.

I was mostly looking for any info I can get free online tonight. And any other help or tips on what to do.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that you can find any online info on that sort of thing tonight. Most towns / counties don't have that kind of stuff online yet.

You could sign up at Equifax or the other credit reporting websites and see if they list any loans etc in your Dad's name, but the absence of such things wouldn't necessarily prove anything either. (Don't bother with any of the "free credit report" sites. They aren't worth the effort. Spend the thirty bucks at the real credit report agencies.)

Sorry I don't know of anything that is sure to help. Maybe someone else has more knowledge and experience than I do in this area.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the sites I find want a fee to search. Oh well... We'll see what we can dig up tomorrow. Thanks anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in California all sales of real property are listed in the "County Recorders Office"

GregR