Review: Fenix LD02 (XP-E2, 1x AAA, 100 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
A newcomer in the Fenix LD-series, is the LD02. This lights runs off one AAA-batteries, and has a max of 100 lumens. That's a bright pocket-light ;)
Besides the LD02, Fenix also released the LD09. The LD09 is the bigger brother and runs off a AA-battery.

2i0x5ld.jpg
2m77s5w.jpg

Packaging:

The LD02 comes in a nice presentation style box. I personally prefer this type of packaging because, when you want
to sell your light later on, you can ship the light nicely and it looks better than a cut-open clamp-shell package.

Inside the box you'll find; the LD02, pocketclip (already on the light), a manual, Fenix ad-paper, warranty-card, one spare o-ring and a alkaline battery.

264qt8l.jpg
2dqvyt.jpg

295eu0p.jpg
2hqzfht.jpg

j8m7v9.jpg

Specifications: (Given by Fenix)

262oz81.jpg

100 lumens is quite a lot, from a light this size. Length is 76mm, with a diameter of 15mm. Weight without battery is 16 gram.
Although it's longer than a twisty light, it would fit on a key-chain.
The 8 lumens Low-mode is to bright at night. Specially when you used it indoors. Outdoors I can understand the 8 lumens, but
otherwise it's to bright.

User Interface:

Switching modes is simple. Click to turn on, and click to turn off. Tap the switch, like a half-press, to switch modes. The LD02 always turns-on in Medium. From off the sequence is; Medium, Low, High, Medium, Low, ...
The light doesn't feature a momentary-on. High-mode will run for 3 minutes and then steps-down to medium.

The light and size-comparison:

11kk0ew.jpg
dq66bs.jpg

29dv4f6.jpg
8wmuzo.jpg

The threads are smooth and came well lubed on my sample.

adl1mb.jpg
2nj8k8.jpg

The LD02 has a pocketclip which can be handy when you used it as EDC. The clip grips the light enough, so it won't come-off that easily.
On the other hand, the clip isn't that tight. It bends easy and doesn't really catch my pants. In the last couple of days, I'd two moments where the light barely held-on my jeans.
I think if Fenix used a closed-clip, the tension will be better.

At the head you can see the anti-polarity. This ring will prevent the light to turn-on, when the battery isn't inserted properly.

27zzu6e.jpg

The LD02 uses a TIR-optic which spreads out the light evenly. From what I can feel, the optic is made from plastic.

wheecg.jpg
726d14.jpg

One of the first things I noticed when I opened the box, was how small the light is. It's about the size of a regular lighter.

wia4r6.jpg
xogz9h.jpg

LD02 - Eneloop AAA and LD02 next to a Lumintop Tool AAA

2jes8dv.jpg
34e6pls.jpg

( Fenix E11, LD02, E01, Eneloop AAA )

As you can see the LD02 isn't that much bigger than the E01.

Beamshots:
(​wall is approx 2 meters away from light and camera) shot with Canon 500D. Used provided alkaline battery for the beamshots.

0.8 sec, ISO800, f/3.5

2u7akpt.jpg
nupep.jpg

5ogpw2.jpg

0.5sec, ISO400, f/3.5

24pw6fa.jpg
akzza0.jpg

2a5d6zd.jpg

Conclusion:

The LD02 may be the light you need, if you're looking for a small-sized EDC light. The light can be used straight out-of the box.
As mentioned before, the pocketclip and Low-mode can be negative for some users. I personally would prefer a 'real' Low-mode on this light. Something around the 1-2 lumens maximum.
Will be using this light as EDC and will report back in awhile :)

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
kj2, does it have the same beam profile like E11/E12 ? Apparently it's using the same optics. I might be wrong though. E11/12 throws pretty good - close to 2,000 lux - while LD02 is supposed to put only 500lux. The head diameter is a bit smaller though.
Good luck for Oranje tomorrow, I hope we'll see a European final :)

kj2

Flashaholic
kj2, does it have the same beam profile like E11/E12 ? Apparently it's using the same optics. I might be wrong though. E11/12 throws pretty good - close to 2,000 lux - while LD02 is supposed to put only 500lux. The head diameter is a bit smaller though.
Good luck for Oranje tomorrow, I hope we'll see a European final :)

Let me check. Will report back soon :)
Hup Holland :D

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review! I, as well, wish there was a moonlight mode.

radu1976

Enlightened
Thank you ... somehow close but not identical.
E11/12 is supposed to be a mix between throw and flood while LD02 is supposed to be a floody type of light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thank you ... somehow close but not identical.
E11/12 is supposed to be a mix between throw and flood while LD02 is supposed to be a floody type of light.

E11 is indeed more intense. For indoor usage I prefer the LD02 beam, for outdoors I would grab the E11 sooner.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light I won't buy because the modes aren't right for the format. AAA lights don't need to be any more than 30-50 lumens. More than that and you're going to be grabbing a bigger light.

This light would have been great if it was 0.2, 5, and 30-40 lumens. Fenix makes great lights, but sometimes I wonder what they drank with their lunch before they went back to work and made decisions about their products.

kj2

Flashaholic
Another light I won't buy because the modes aren't right for the format. AAA lights don't need to be any more than 30-50 lumens. More than that and you're going to be grabbing a bigger light.

This light would have been great if it was 0.2, 5, and 30-40 lumens.
100 lumens is indeed bright for a AAA-sized light. Fenix could even take it a step further. Using a 'standard'-head with a max of 40-50, and have a optional head for more lumens. Like a 'Turbo-head'. Although I wonder if that would sell...

Fenix does get a lot of feedback on CPF, and I do think Fenix reads most of it. So it should be a matter of time to see lower lows on small(er) Fenix lights.

mcnabb100

Newly Enlightened
What kind of difference in would there be in run-time if you used a 1.5v lithium rather than alkaline? Energizer says they will last longer, but would it be a significant amount? I'm shopping for my next light and I haven't completely decided on if I want something in AA/AAA or the cr123 primaries.

american

Enlightened
Just got mine I hate how warm it gets after 10 seconds on high. I also have a clixky titanium preon and a micro stream. The Fenix also steps back into medium after 3 mins. Much better tint then the preon and a better switch.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review kj2. I think this works pretty good for people who are looking for a small AAA size clicky light. I think this is one of the smallest and best looking clicky AAA lights.

i also concur with Jash on the ideal levels for an AAA light. I would like a very low low, 8 lumens, and around 30-40 lumens for high. Any higher lumens and you loose a ton of runtime from the tiny AAA cell. I grab a larger light if I need more lumens.

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Nice review, thanks for that! I've been looking for an AAA clicky for a long time, but at the sdame time, this doesn't look all that much smaller than (or example) an EagleTac D25A clicky. Still like it though, so I might pick one up on the next order at knivesandtools if I happen to make one.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Nice review kj2 and great size comparison shots! I absolutely do not need this light but I'm such a sucker for 1xAAA clicky lights. Out of curiosity, have you tried running a 10440 battery in it? I'm sure it's not supported or recommended, but wonder if it would work in this little light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice review kj2 and great size comparison shots! I absolutely do not need this light but I'm such a sucker for 1xAAA clicky lights. Out of curiosity, have you tried running a 10440 battery in it? I'm sure it's not supported or recommended, but wonder if it would work in this little light.
Haven't tried it, and don't have that kind of battery ;)
Maybe someone else can try? :)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I like small lights, and while i dont see this replacing my LD01SS on my keychain it looks like an very nice light since therevare nit really many nice clickies in AAA format. This might be a great gift light.

Well the 100 lumens is a bit of an overkill i would bet from a sales point of view Fenix made the right choice there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this light handles as it's been a long time since ive seen an interesting aaa clicky.