Elzetta Alpha?

sortafast

Enlightened
Anyone play with an Elzetta Alpha light yet? Pondering getting one. But also thinking about getting a Moddoolar 1cell then run a Malkoff M31 dropin. Anyone have input on either? This would be for a single mode weapon light (more or less) and for picture taking for the webs and such to draw attention to my products.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Alpha light would make an excellent weapon mounted light, as long as it's got enough reach for the intended role.

I presume weight is a primary consideration. If it's not, a Bravo enables a lot of flexibility with both standard (housing pretty much any Malkoff light engine) and AVS heads.

sortafast

Enlightened
An Alpha light would make an excellent weapon mounted light, as long as it's got enough reach for the intended role.

I presume weight is a primary consideration. If it's not, a Bravo enables a lot of flexibility with both standard (housing pretty much any Malkoff light engine) and AVS heads.
For my weapons lights, I prefer more of a hotspot with a fairly dim flood around it for outside usage. This helps with follow up shots and also lets you see out a ways. For indoor, I think the elzetta might have the edge, but I am leaning towards the Malkoff/moddular combo after reading the reviews post above. I should just get both but money doesn't grow on trees around my house, unfortunately.

The main reason for the single cell is to keep things small and light weight and also to make it look different. I love my G2X Tactical, and my 6P and M951's with dropins, but I just want something different and that is made in the US of A.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just slid the Alpha into an Elzetta ZROC, and it would definitely work well indoors. The beam of the Alpha is very similar to a Malkoff M61N behind frosted glass (mine sourced from Oveready) in a 6P, riding on my HD shotty.

The Alpha has a slight spot, while the other offers a gradual transition from center to edge.

Last edited:

sortafast

Enlightened
I just slid the Alpha into an Elzetta ZROC, and it would definitely work well indoors. The beam of the Alpha is very similar to a Malkoff M61N behind frosted glass (mine sourced from Oveready) in a 6P, riding on my HD shotty. The Alpha has a slight spot, while the other offers a gradual transition from center to edge.
Not making this any easier...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
....just trying to give some useful info.

My primary outdoor rifle uses a Surefire KE2-A on a Viking Tactics body in a LaRue offset mount. It weighs a bit over 6 oz with cells.

It's got great throw for the size and dim but usable spill. The spill is an obvious amount brighter than that of a KX2C or LX2.

Last edited:

sortafast

Enlightened
yeah, I am leaning towards building this gun to try to be able to see 100yds with it or so. In all honesty, I want to get both lights. Its just a matter of priorities. I also have a nice long list of SF lights I want to add to the collection.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I was going to move this to the main Elzetta thread, but it is very particular to the Alpha Elzetta, so it will stay here.

Bill

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the goal is to achieve at least 1 lux (3 or more may be necessary) at 100 yards for target location/identification, even an M31 won't be adequate.

About a year ago, I measured some lights at 100 yards, and my Malkoff M61 SHO only delivered .65 lux when fed by two Li-Ions. An LX2 barely squeaked past the 1 lux mark. My E2DL Ultra delivered 1.92 lux.