Opinions on Fenix LD41 vs Nitecore EA41 4xAA Lights

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
All,

I'm looking to by a 4xAA (no lithium worries) around the house light. I've narrowed it down to the LD41 or the EA41(just out). I'm leaning towards the Nitecore EA41 primarily because of the two switch interface that is not on the tail like the switches on the LD41. I've read some mention of switch problems on the EA4, but that was a single button switch.

Interested in hearing your informed opinions on the above.

Thanks

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the EA41. But I DO have the EA4 XM-L2. There are several reasons why I went with the Nitecore rather than the Fenix:

1. 960 lumen burst mode. Yes, it's only for three minutes. But the LD41 doesn't even give you that.

2. No stepdown from high. The Fenix automatically steps down after a half hour. Yes, you can just switch it back. But why deal with it?

3. No battery holder. Battery holders tend to be fragile and introduce a failure point. Not having a battery holder means one less thing to cause problems.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lights from both brands I'd go for a Fenix over a Nitecore without thinking twice about it.

That said, if you don't like tail switches, then the EA41 might be the right choice for you.
The lack of battery holder mentioned by the user above is also a very good point: though I never had problems with the battery holder in my Fenix LD41, it is an additional component that can lead to problems.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
EA41 steps down after 20 minutes, not 3.

Have you thought about Sunwayman D40A?

The old EA4 (even the XM-L2 version) stepped down after three minutes. Anyway, the D40A has the disadvantage of also having a battery holder. Not onlynare battery holders a failure point. They also make battery changes more difficult. This is ESPECIALLY true if you need to change batteries in the dark.

Dubois

Enlightened
Anyway, the D40A has the disadvantage of also having a battery holder. Not onlynare battery holders a failure point. They also make battery changes more difficult. This is ESPECIALLY true if you need to change batteries in the dark.

But surely in the dark you just whip out your back-up light to see what you are doing?:whistle:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the D40A's battery carrier as being a huge disadvantage. I guess there is an additional loose part that can potentially break (although the aluminum cage is quite robust) or be lost, but I think it might actually be easier to load in the dark since all the springs (tactile neg. confirmation) are right there as you load each cell, and the carrier can be inserted into the light in either direction. I understand one big advantage of the carrier design is that the light can be easily and mechanically locked out with a 1/4 twist.... something quite important to me when dealing with parasitic, accidentally-activated, electronic side clickies.

JMHO, but I would go with the light that had best set of low lows. OK, so I know we are talking AA power throwers here, but I really appreciate not having to pull out a second light when I have to (and I always seem to have to) fiddle with something up close without blinding myself.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
EA41 has lower low and you can select it directly from OFF.
The old EA4 (even the XM-L2 version) stepped down after three minutes.
Yes, but we're comparing EA41 so I thought that it was worth mentioning that it's better than both EA4 and LD41 in that matetr.

pblanch

Enlightened
Watching this thread with interest. I have a SRA 40 and man that thing is bright - for 3 minutes then goes way down.

Doesn't even get warm and it ramps down. 20min burst mode in the EA41? that would be fine. I couldn't find the refrence for it though.

cistallus

Enlightened

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
The old EA4 (even the XM-L2 version) stepped down after three minutes. Anyway, the D40A has the disadvantage of also having a battery holder. Not onlynare battery holders a failure point. They also make battery changes more difficult. This is ESPECIALLY true if you need to change batteries in the dark.

I had looked at the D40A, it looks very well made, but I just don't like the looks of that switch. It belongs on a microwave, not flashlight.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
20min burst mode in the EA41? that would be fine. I couldn't find the refrence for it though.
Users manual:
Instant turbo: with the light off, press the mode switch for more thanone sencond to create turbo output of 960 lumens.

NOTE: The EA41 will lower its output lumens after 20 minutes of use to prevent overheating and preserve battery longevity.
http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_EA41_UM_en.pdf
Also in this class of lights consider the EagleTac GX25A3.
It's a nice light but it uses 3xAA which means less runtime (and most chargers have 2 or 4 battery slots), it's more expensive and requires two hands to change mode (+mode spacing is far from perfect).

I think Nitecore nailed it with EA41 and it's one of the best multi-AA flashlight on the market right now.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
All,

I'm looking to by a 4xAA (no lithium worries) around the house light. I've narrowed it down to the LD41 or the EA41(just out). I'm leaning towards the Nitecore EA41 primarily because of the two switch interface that is not on the tail like the switches on the LD41. I've read some mention of switch problems on the EA4, but that was a single button switch.

Interested in hearing your informed opinions on the above.

Thanks

well for an "around the house light" i think the sunwayman F40A is your best choice. since it's got that ring of 12 color LEDs the main reflector is actually smaller so it produces a beam that is better for around the house stuff. EA41 and D40A both have big reflectors that put out a concentrated beam which is not always desirable

the F40A is smaller than the EA41

F40A also has 2-button setup w/ direct access to moonlight from off

F40A switches are easy to find by feel. EA41 buttons are flush

F40A has an included diffuser cap

F40A has strong enough red/blue to be actually useful

sunwayman makes very high quality stuff, arguably the best quality chinese brand. nitecore has a bad track record, the EA4 switch melting / ballooning issue comes to mind

cpf-ea4-melted1.jpg

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ed-Switch-Cover-on-Nitecore-EA4-Pix-Questions

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
EA41 steps down after 20 minutes, not 3.

ea81c2.jpg

unless they have improved the thermal resistance from LED to body (which is highly unlikely) that 20 minute stepdown is actually a bad idea (aside from draining alkalines too fast)

on the ea4/ea8 the LED star is just sitting on a thin metal disk (i.e. the "PATENTED" heatsink board) as you can see is just sitting on that 1mm ledge. this design is common on "budget" flashlights. same design on nitecore's other "explorer" lights like EC2, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
well for an "around the house light" i think the sunwayman F40A is your best choice. since it's got that ring of 12 color LEDs the main reflector is actually smaller so it produces a beam that is better for around the house stuff. EA41 and D40A both have big reflectors that put out a concentrated beam which is not always desirable

the F40A is smaller than the EA41

F40A also has 2-button setup w/ direct access to moonlight from off

F40A switches are easy to find by feel. EA41 buttons are flush

F40A has an included diffuser cap

F40A has strong enough red/blue to be actually useful

sunwayman makes very high quality stuff, arguably the best quality chinese brand. nitecore has a bad track record, the EA4 switch melting / ballooning issue comes to mind

Thanks for the recommendation. Just took a look at the F40A, surprisingly similar to the EA41, but I really have no use for the multicolor capability.

Who was first with the unibody design, Nitecore or Sunwayman??

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation. Just took a look at the F40A, surprisingly similar to the EA41, but I really have no use for the multicolor capability.

Who was first with the unibody design, Nitecore or Sunwayman??

the red/blue arent in the main sequence so are totally non obtrusive. you don't have to use them if you don't want to. but still great to have in case you need them

as i've shown above the EA4 is not a true unibody like a zebralight is for example. EA4 is just a hollow tube w/ the LED sitting on SEPARATE metal pieces. a zebralight LED sits directly on the unibody

Last edited:

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
I ended up buying a Nitecore EA41. It was delivered a few days ago. Time will tell, but it seems very well made and throws an amazing amount of light. I paired it with some Ultimate Lithium AA's. It will basically be a drawer light. I'm hoping that with these batteries, when I do need to use it any time over the next 10+ years! it will still have a charge in the batteries. Unlike alkalines, which always seem to be dead, when you have a power outage.

The one thing that could be improved is the usability of the power and mode buttons. They are quite small and close together making them difficult to use with the pad of your thumb, which rests naturally on the buttons as you grip the light. Instead, you have to use the tip of your thumb to work them. Not a deal breaker, but someone with bigger hands may find it difficult to click through the various modes. I do like the one touch functionality that gets you to low, strobe and turbo from off.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opted for the Fenix, hated the shape at first but now I have found the shape very useful on several occasions. I wish they would bring a mini 2 AA version out in the same shape and whilst at it a single cell AAA and AA version as well.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
By accounts on this forum the EA41 has a parasitic draw due to the electronic switch. So remove the tailcap for 10 year storage... or get some Eneloop Pros and recharge them every 9-12 months.