Why don't more lights come with protectors?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are, you wouldn't want to carry your expensive smartphone around without some sort of protector. After seeing cracked screens, we all know where THAT leads! But thus far, the only lights I have seen with any kind of protectors are the Armormax lights from Defiant at Home Depot. Why isn't this something we see for pricier lights? I'm sure there are LOTS of people here who would rather not scratch up their lights from an accidental drop.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be better posting the question to the makers as no one here can give you an answer as we are in the same boat as you and any reply you will get will be an armchair enthusiasts best guess.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying you want rubber bumpers on all your lights? I personally would definitely NOT want that. They tend to collect dust, and make it more difficult to holster and draw a light. It also doesn't last forever...rubber deteriorates and dries out over time.

I think the analogy to phones is a bit misguided...the lights I buy are generally a lot tougher than a phone. Sure, they might take minor cosmetic damage, but with an aluminum body, there isn't really anything to break. Even the window, the closest thing to the smartphone screen, is protected by a bezel. In any case, I don't have any shelf queens...all my lights get used, and I don't consider minor cosmetic damage to be an issue.

I do carry my phone around without a case, though, so perhaps I'm not the one to ask.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that protective cases might reduce thermal regulation of lights. That is, they might heat up and cook the LED, because the heat can't escape very easily with a rubber shield around the light.

I sometimes use the rubber hand-grip that comes with 4sevens Quarks as a protective sleeve for the head and tail of the light, but I usually remove it if I'm using the light on maximum for more than a few minutes. I think the head gets too hot underneath the rubber. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't want to risk damage or premature aging to the LED by overheating it.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Stainless bezel rings and lanyards can help. Scratches and chips add character anyway ;).

The Rayovac/Varta indestructible range also have rubberised cases.