Sonic-G vs Arc AAA?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So does anyone have photo comparisons of the CMG Sonic-G with an Arc AAA or Dorcy AAA? I'd like to see just how big these are before ordering one. Also thinking of ordering an Infinity Ultra-G while i'm at it.

Anything i should be aware of?

paulr

Flashaholic
The flashlightreviews.com review of the Sonic has a photo of it next to an Arc AAA, I think. The Dorcy is a lot bigger.

The Arc is a nicer light than the Sonic by a considerable margin, but more expensive. Meridian Tactical is selling the Sonic for 11.95 which is a good deal. I don't think I'd pay 18.00 or whatever for a Sonic-G since an Arc is just a few bucks more than that. Unfortunately the Meridian Tactical shipping charge is rather steep. Maybe we should do a group buy.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I just found the review - it was in the keychain lights section, while i was looking at the LED section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/images/cmg_sonic/cmg_sonic_size2.jpg

Doesn't look bigger than the Arc AAA to me. That's why i was considering it. I'm used to a Dorcy AAA, which is on par with the Arc AA/CMG Infinity Ultra.

I've handled the Arc AAA, and while it was good, it wasn't "great". Expecting too much, aren't i.

r2

Enlightened
I don't think anyone claimed that the Arc AAA is smaller than the Sonic, just that it's a nicer light. I don't have the thread link handy, but someone compared the output and battery life and the Arc AAA was brighter and lasted longer (the output of the Arc AAA was brighter over the entire life of the battery). It also has a HA-III finish (the Sonic has a softer, HA-II finish) and is waterproof (guaranteed to 50 feet, tested much deeper) while the Sonic is just "water resistent". Finally, it's worth noting that the Arc AAA has gone through several generations with a bunch of little tweaks to the design, and it is now a very reliable and stable product. I'd trust it a lot more than the relatively new Sonic.

For something I carry with me all the time and use all the time, the Arc AAA is well worth the extra few dollars.

- Russ

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Sonic G and Arc aaa, gave the Sonic g away, people like the us gov't engraving.
The beam had a center hotspot and a little wierd sidespill that looked like a guy smoking a pipe. Not any pipe but the Sherlock holmes and Watson type.
I can't stand looking at the beam and this cloudy vision would be on top or bottom depending on how I orient the light. It got to be spooky because it really did look like a ghostly figure.