Small and EDC or Big and Bright?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Or it could be both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was thinking about what usually tickles me the most in flashlights - its size. The smaller the better. That's the reason i bought this Soiltaire, that's the reason i bought nearly all the lights i did.

I'm still looking for a small LED light that's small, looks good :)p) and is EDC'able. Yup, i've tried the Arc AAA.

I didn't make this post as a suggest-me type of thread, but rather to gauge how many people like small and light, versus big and bright. I have the standard-issue modded Mag 2C, a Blaster III 3W, and the requisite BB400 and tried the MM+. The light that consistently impressed me was my Dorcy AAA. The rest are iffy - i simply don't like bigger flashlights, bright as they may be.

So what is it - M6 or E1E? Firefly or Fatmag? Arc AAA or Blaster III?

I know they have wildly different purposes, but i'm just more drawn to the smaller lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

As an aside, i don't like the Photon lights. Weird eh?

d'mo

Enlightened
It's been said before that the best flashlight is the one you have when you need it and logic dictates that the smaller something is, the more likely you'll be to take it with you. Small is good. Bright is good. Small and bright is great!

Mark, I'm in the same boat. The Arc LS is about the limit for EDC size for me. I had an L4, but sold it because it was too big to carry comfortably.

I'm also quite partial to single battery flashlights. A single cell is easier to EDC or locate in a pinch, particularly if it's a common AA or AAA. Goofy sized cells are a PITA and I generally avoid them.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I'm still impressed with my FireFly! Small (smaller than my thumb)and very bright and almsot always in my left front pants pocket!

Geode

Enlightened
Mark,

I have been thinking about your topic too, and in all honesty, small is the way to go for my 80% of EDC needs. To me this means an Arc LS of some type, with an ultra-small as a secondary (Arc AAA or photon).

During the Winter, jacket pocket carry EDC can be larger - E2e or TT2L. I have held off on buying the A2 and L4 because they are too big for non-jacket carry. However, the "toy" factor will probably get me in the short run.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer small flashlights. Of course it depends on what I am doing.

I had never felt the great need for anything other than my mini Brinkman and C cell Mag lights. I periodically bought a small cheap plastic AA light that worked fine.

Then my son wanted a SF E2e. When I got that I wanted one and liked the brightness that none of my lights had.
SO, I bought one for myself, and have on order Streamlight TT1L and TT2L. I also bought a Pelican M6.
I really like the Pelican M6, and it is brighter at long range than the E2e, because of the spot.

Considering what I do with them, I really have little need for such bright lights, except for the self defense blinding aspect. I am not out at night that much, but it is nice to have sometning like the E2e or the PM6.

I almost bought a PM6 for a gift. But realistically I do not think that it is particularlly useful for most people.
The primary reason is the short battery life, and the cost of the batteries, even at $15 for 12 at Surefire.

I am looking forward to the TTLs, and they may fill the need for brightness and long battery life in the LED mode. I am hoping that in the xenon mode they are as bright as my 2C Mag lights.

Flashlights are fun, but in my opinion, most people, except for emergency and LEO are not well served by the expensive to buy and expensive to operate Lithium flashlights.
The TTL series as EDC in the small ones, and for car use any of them might be an exception.
I admit that I have reached for my light only to learn that the batteries were down, and sometimes had leaked and ruined my flashlight. Lithium batteries are a real advantage here.

Rechargeable batteries are never full strength and are sometimes depleted when I want them.

In general when I travel or camp I carry a lantern light. I think they are more useable for changing a tire, etc. I have never felt the need for a brighter light than the C Mag Lights.

BUT, the best light is the light you have when you need it. I do not even consider carrying a Mag light to the store at night. It must be small to carry on my person, and therefore only small lights will do for EDC.
If it is bright enough I think the TT1L will be ideal to carry in my pocket. If it isn't maybe the TT2L will be.

Since I stopped 'possum hunting as a boy, I don't need a light to knock one out of a tree.

I DO intend to keep the bright lights that I have just bought. In fact, I am tempted to buy another PM6. I think BOTACH has them for less than $30. But what would I do with another???

I guess I told more about my thoughts than you wanted to know, but I had been thinking about this since the "Camping Light Strategy" thread.
Small is better than large, and bright is better than dim. Long battery life is important.

Now let's figure how to get a very small, bright light, that does not use up $3 worth of batteries every hour. That would not be enough if you were lost and trying to find your way to camp or a lost hunter.

Jerry

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I doubt the TT1L will be small enough for EDC. I can't bring myself to carry a CNC-123 (about the same size as an Arc LS), even though its bright and has a few features the Arc is missing. (Upgradability, expandability and stand-on-endability)

EDIT: I also agree with your comments about flashlights not being useful for people other than LEOs and the like. They might be useful in some circumstances, but so can many other things.

I work security at my university myself, and have never needed a flashlight at the job.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I prefer smaller, even if it means that it won't be as bright. EDC is just that; every day carry. I want something that I can take with me everywhere. A large flashlight will probably be left at home unless I expect to use it.

To me, anything larger that a 2aa minimag, or in my case an Arc LS with 2AA tail piece, is too large to carry.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
I'm currently on the fence regarding this issue. For me, since I pretty much wear a belt all the time, the size of a light isn't really an issue as long as I have a belt holster of some sort.

But, having said that, I used to carry both my PDA and phone on different holsters (one on each side)--I don't do that now, because I found that these devices would just get in my way. So I'm slowing going back to the smaller carry (though not as bright perhaps?) is a better option.

Having said that, I have an L5 on order. I'll try to find a case/holster of some sort, and see if it is comfortable to EDC in my jacket.

As others have mentioned, unless people have a specific need for a bigger light, they will likely EDC a smaller light instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

leng

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Prolepsis said:
I'm currently on the fence regarding this issue. For me, since I pretty much wear a belt all the time, the size of a light isn't really an issue as long as I have a belt holster of some sort.

But, having said that, I used to carry both my PDA and phone on different holsters (one on each side)--I don't do that now, because I found that these devices would just get in my way. So I'm slowing going back to the smaller carry (though not as bright perhaps?) is a better option.

Having said that, I have an L5 on order. I'll try to find a case/holster of some sort, and see if it is comfortable to EDC in my jacket.

As others have mentioned, unless people have a specific need for a bigger light, they will likely EDC a smaller light instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not to thread steal, but a SOE link pouch for an M2 will fit an L5.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
A smaller light is more likely to be carried, thus is there when (or if) you need it. A larger light is more likely to be left at home where it won't do you any good unless you're home too.

Unless you: have specific needs, have really large pockets, and/or you're a uber-flashaholic that simply MUST have the brightest, then I can probably speak for everyone when I say smaller is prefered in most cases. Does anyone disagree?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I guess I come from the old school of use the right tool for the job. I do EDC, I guess I started it because it was part of what I needed for my job, but it also because I found it even more useful to have a light on me for various tasks wherever I go. I started out with a MiniMag on my belt and a Mag Solitaire on my keyring. At work I kept thinking, there has got to be something better and brighter than a MiniMag, so I finally took the leap to a SF. After 2 weeks of carrying a 6P, I'm hooked. I'm not going back to anything else for belt carry. I even ordered a G2 as one that I wouldn't care if I really beat up on it.

I do keep D cell Mags in my car and in my house. Those have their place too. The point is, I am usually within some range of my car, so I can go 5-D if I need to, or at home I can go to my nightstand for my 3-D.

My job requires me to be on call a lot and come into work at really odd hours in the middle of the night. And it's not in the safest part of town either. So I did carry that 5-D in with me many nights. I figured it was bright and would make a very useful club if I needed it. But now I am just as comfortable with my SF's. Can't use them for a club, but they are plenty bright to give me the few extra seconds I need to escape if I am stuck in a bad situation.

So yes, IMO every light has it's place. It's just really nice to have super bright really small lights as well.

And BTW, if any of you haven't tried SF's holsters, I must say the quality is right up there with their lights and if you wear one on your belt, you hardly even notice it is there.

--Jason

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, any light that needs a pouch to carry will not be my EDC. Lights of that size tend to be left home all the time. Having said that and having an ARC-AAA on my keychain, the ARC is not my favorite EDC.

I want a light that is small and much brighter than normal. I'm willing to trade that off with runtime. If the runtime is 60 minutes that's good enough.

Right now my Firefly is just about perfect.

What would be super is to have a two cell firefly with one of the Luxeon III's inside. But them maybe that is what the ARC-LS5 will be?

GregR

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leng said... not to thread steal, but a SOE link pouch for an M2 will fit an L5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks leng--I'll check out the link in detail later at home. Much appreciated.

paulr

Flashaholic
You can get an Arc AAA modded with a Luxeon. Won't be as bright as a Firefly, but is still much brighter than a stock Arc. Runtime is somewhat over 1 hour too.

I'm paranoid about EDC'ing expensive lights because they're so easy to lose. I EDC a PT Blast which is a 2aaa incan about the same size and brightness as an Arc LS. I lost it a couple weeks ago, shrugged my shoulders and ordered three more of them from TTS for $6.50 each (the "lost" one turned up under my bed a few days later). I think a small incandescent is a nice backup to a 1-LED light for when the LED isn't bright enough, and the LED is a good backup to the incan if the incan's batteries or bulb go out.

scuba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:
I've tried the Arc AAA mod. Didn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious: what didn't you like about it?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Small and EDC all the way. Just don't need real bright that much and definitely don't want big. What I'd really like to see is an Arc AAA with LS4 type switching. Maybe squeeze in another LED for that little extra in boost mode, but have it dimmable too.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I like small, longlasting and decent light so I carry an AAA-LE on my neck and an AA on my keychain. I like bright and decent runtime so I carry a LSHF-P in my front pocket. I like a wall of light so I carry a L4 next to my wallet. I love to have throw, so I carry a 9P on my belt. I don't carry them because I need them a lot, but I use them a lot because I have them and I enjoy them. So I like small/edc and big/bright.
imgadgetman

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Around 98% of the time I wear jeans with a belt.

I can choose among SL 1L or 2L TTs, most 4AA lights, etc.

It has come down to what is easiest to get out and put into use. My main EDC therefore is a Surefire G2 modded with a Garrity clickie and carried in a shortened Garrity holster (open top just like carrying a minim*g).

I haven't found it to be too bright so far, since I primarily am a daytime user with lots of natural light about.

I also ALWAYS (usually in watch pocket, left front otherwise) carry an ARC AAA to handle theater chores or total dark light. Also useful for long runtime in an emergency.

Big bright stuff for me are toys. I rarely actually NEED a super bright light.

They are fun to have all the same!

rlhess

Enlightened
The Arc AAA LE comes in handy for many things, but I love the wall of light from the L4. These are my two EDC. The L4 with Pila rechargeable.

Happy Holidays!

Richard