Who Mods/Makes the most powerful 1x18650 lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike1985

Enlightened
In your opinion, which custom modder/builder makes/mods the most poweful 1x18650 lights?

Thank You

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if they are the MOST powerful, but Vinh Nguyen certainly has some contenders. Does a lot of current boosting on a wide variety of 1x18650 lights. Check out his sub-forum in the custom/modder section.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Keep in mind that output is going to be dependent on the battery used and the output is going to sag as things heat up and battery voltage droops. Also best engineering practice dictates a turbo timer so you do not cook the light. I have a three LED Convoy custom from RMM at Mountain Electronics that is pulling close to 6 amps from one 18650 and it does not stay in Turbo for long. Outstanding output though for a <1" diameter by 115mm long pocket light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, "Most Powerful" could mean most boosted so the run time is sacrificed for out put rate (Like a race car gets lousy MPG, but is definitely more powerful than a Prius, etc)

But, it could also mean higher cd, or, lumens for example, and, then, you could add, for how long?

ALL small lights need to shed the massive heat generated by high output operation.

Some lights manage their max out put for a bout 30 seconds, as the ANSI TEST doesn't require more than that....so they can advertise X lumens for their max out put, but, 45 seconds later, it might be at 0.5 X lumens.

If light #1 can put out 1,000 L for 45 seconds, and light #2 can put out 1,100 L for 30 seconds, and 550 L for another 15 seconds, which is more powerful?

:D

If light #1 can hit a target 1 mile away, with 0.3 lux on it, from a 1,000 lumen output, and light #2 can hit a target 1 mile away with 0.2 lux on it from a 1,100 L output, which is more powerful?

And so forth.

Last edited:

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Good question, but the first thing that same to mind was the Malkoff Hound Dog.
the description states "The output is approximately 1150 (measured) Out the Front Lumens at turn on and 1000 sustained. It was designed primarily for throw (reach) and will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet.".

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, but the first thing that same to mind was the Malkoff Hound Dog.
the description states "The output is approximately 1150 (measured) Out the Front Lumens at turn on and 1000 sustained. It was designed primarily for throw (reach) and will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet.".

The Hound Dog is not a 1x18650 light, though. According to the description, it requires a minimum of 5V. So it definitely cannot be run on a single cell.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we all define power differently as we all prefer slightly to completely different beam profiles, here are 2 other possible contenders without technical details:

-Lux RC (change the optics on the go or use a longer tube for more lumens/runtime on top of it)
-MBi has something in the works that should fall into this category

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
SkyLumen SL1 no question in my mind. For security or search-and-rescue, this puppy out-barks the 2X18650 Hound Dog,

Now if the OP spoke of maximum lumens for the longest time, I don't know. The thing about Vinh's SL1 is the heat management is so good. The low setting run continuously in upper 60 degree weather makes the base of the reflector cone next to the first heat fin just barely on the warm side; That's it. I still have not run it on high long enough to get a true sense of how the torch heats up. The terrain where I walk at night simply does not need that kind of sustained throw.

But as has been said, without more details in the inquiry, this thread smacks of 'braggin rights' for candlepower cowboys.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As the OP never came back, or said what "Powerful" means, I suppose this is all a waste of time.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
As the OP never came back, or said what "Powerful" means, I suppose this is all a waste of time.

Discussions of flashlights are NEVER a waste of time ;) They may or may not be of any benefit to the OP but we're still here ;)

Ken

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
We already see a lot of 1x18650 lights who as a result of the lumen race are overpowered and can't manage the claimed performance. This because of as well lack of adequate heatsink and that the output is more than a single cell can handle for more than a(few) minute(s). Despite a claimed runtime of more than an hour.

Therefore the OP´s question is a bit incomplete.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
We already see a lot of 1x18650 lights who as a result of the lumen race are overpowered and can't manage the claimed performance. This because of as well lack of adequate heatsink and that the output is more than a single cell can handle for more than a(few) minute(s). Despite a claimed runtime of more than an hour.

Therefore the OP´s question is a bit incomplete.

LOL

Exactly what I mentioned too.

We don't even know if "powerful" means lumens or cd, etc....and if runtime is even an issue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.