Olight SR95, Spark SP6, or something else?

jdboy

Enlightened
Ok, I know these are two older lights and I've read the terrific reviews for each but I'm still looking for a little guidance from this knowledgeable community. I'm in need of a little more throw than my current light is giving me. I want my cake and eat it too so I need a thrower with a decent amount of spill so I thought one of these 2 may be what I'm looking for. I just need to be able to reach my tree line which is 126 yards and make objects out clearly. My current setup is a Jetbeam M1X with a Surefire FM24 diffuser. When I need throw I open up the diffuser, and opposite if I need a walking around light. This setup has worked for the last couple years but as with most things I'm beginning to look for something better. So back to my question, if both lights are almost the same amount of money which one do you think would work for what I'm wanting better. The Olight is actually about $40 more than the Spark and both will be new in box. Both lights are below my $300 cap for this purchase.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight SR95 or Spark SP6?

The OP asked me to comment here.

The M1X was a great light for it's time, but certainly doesn't compare to modern hand-held lights. For your application, you might find the latest throwers in the 2x18650 class have a lot to offer (eg. Olight M3X XM-2, Armytek Barracuda, or Thrunite Catapult V5). Of those three, the M3X has the widest spill - but the Catapult V5 comes with a diffuser flip-top cover than performs very similar to the FM24.

If you wanted to go up for higher output, I too would probably go for the SR95 over the Spark SP6. The SP6 was a very innovative light (with it's unique reflector), but it doesn't throw as far as the 2x18650 lights cited above. The SR95 is not quite as high output, but has a very useful beam.

But there are also plenty in-between these two classes to consider as well (i.e., the 3x/4x 18650 class). Many of these match the output and/or throw of the SR95 and SP6, but are more portable. Lights the Fenix TK61, Thrunite TN32, Olight SR52 and Supbeam K50 are great all-around throwers. And the MT-G2 lights in this class will give you something approaching the SP6's output and throw (e.g., Thrunite TN35, Niwalker BK-FA02, Eagletac MX25L3), with a neutral white tint.

I've reviewed most of the most of the above, so those individual reviews should help you narrow down. Once you have narrow things down by tint, I recommend you choose primarily on size and user interface preference.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened

I want to start off by thanking Selfbuilt for taking the time to help me out with this decision! I've read reviews and watched videos on nearly every light mentioned above and have it boiled down to 3 lights. These 3 lights are the SR95, the Armytek Barracuda, and the Niwalker BK-FA02. The Armytek is pulling head with it's excellent throw as well as the ability to use my FM24 diffuser to help with flood when needed. I also really like the rugged nature of Armytek lights! Lastly the cost of this light is the lowest of the group. As stated I have a set budget and that just puts a little back if spending the full amount isn't needed. The Niwalker is in very close second at the moment. It doesn't have the max throw of the Armytek but it is adequate along with a terrific spill. Also I'm a tint whore and really appreciate the neutral tint of the Niwalker. I really like the control ring of this light as it would make for a very nice walking around light. Also it leaves money to be put back as it comes in second to cheapest on the list. Another feature that's very welcomed is the lower outputs of the Armytek and Niwalker lights. The SR95 is falling behind at this point to be honest.

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened

Well I ended up going with the Armytek Barracuda. With the robust nature and ease of use of this light it will fit the bill for what I am wanting. It will be used in conjunction with my Surefire FM24 diffuser. This should get me a light with the throw I was looking for as well as a great walking around light with the diffuser in place. An added bonus was a selling point almost 1/3 of the budget I had set in place for this new purchase. Now just waiting on the shipping notice lol!