Any Single AA throw as far as a Nitecore MT21a?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Any Single AA throw as far as a Nitecore MT21a?
I was hoping for something a bit smaller, I have been out of the game a while though and don't know what emitters have evolved/come out for some time.

I need it for my night shift, any help be much appreciated.

ven

Flashaholic
Other option could be a de-dome t10tvn or a d25avn (de-dome) off vinh

This is the d25cvn on left to give an idea of the de-dome,should at least double the throw of the light(sometimes 3x)

TweakMDS

Enlightened
FWIW, I have an EagleTac P20A2 with XP-G2 and smooth reflector. This throws quite nicely, but it's a 2xAA light. There was at one time a P20A available and now I just need the single battery tube to run the same light on 14500... Forward clicky and reflector are pretty nice, but I dislike the 2xAA. Might as well go for 18650 with that length.

For a single AA, you should probably take a look at the Nitecore EA1. They're reasonably throwy without modding. They keep coming out the throwiest in Selfbuilt's tables anyway...

Sarlix

Enlightened
Would agree with EA1 suggestions. Or an older Jetbeam Jet-I pro if you can find one.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Would agree with EA1 suggestions. Or an older Jetbeam Jet-I pro if you can find one.

I've owned all the lights in this thread. None will reach the 10k lux on the m21. Maybe I should just stick to the m21

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The MT21a is rated at 10k cd and 260 lumens, and after a few minutes (2-3) it drops to around 180 lumens and ~ 6.9k cd.

The Vinh lights mentioned above put out WELL over the cd of the MT21a, so that part is easy to beat for throw...and with more lumens, so farther and with a fatter beam...in a smaller light.

The EA1 puts out ~ 1/3 of the MT21a's throw, so its not even close to replacing it let alone being an upgrade, unless the size is all you wanted to shrink, and 1/3 the throw is OK?

The Vinh lights tend to be balls to the wall as far as performance, so they are a LOT brighter and farther throwing, but, get hot and can't run as LONG as they are using more power to be brighter, etc. Of course, you can set them to a lower output, and still be brighter and farther throwing than the MT21a, but increase the runtime proportionally.

If you want a shorter light, you could look at CR123 sized lights too, etc....and if you went with rechargeable Li-ions, 14500 as an AA size, or, 18650 to go big....you could completely and utterly blow the MT21a out of the water as far as performance (But when you get disposables for free, who cares?) :D

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
The MT21a is rated at 10k cd and 260 lumens, and after a few minutes (2-3) it drops to around 180 lumens and ~ 6.9k cd.

The Vinh lights mentioned above put out WELL over the cd of the MT21a, so that part is easy to beat for throw...and with more lumens, so farther and with a fatter beam...in a smaller light.

The EA1 puts out ~ 1/3 of the MT21a's throw, so its not even close to replacing it let alone being an upgrade, unless the size is all you wanted to shrink, and 1/3 the throw is OK?

The Vinh lights tend to be balls to the wall as far as performance, so they are a LOT brighter and farther throwing, but, get hot and can't run as LONG as they are using more power to be brighter, etc. Of course, you can set them to a lower output, and still be brighter and farther throwing than the MT21a, but increase the runtime proportionally.

If you want a shorter light, you could look at CR123 sized lights too, etc....and if you went with rechargeable Li-ions, 14500 as an AA size, or, 18650 to go big....you could completely and utterly blow the MT21a out of the water as far as performance (But when you get disposables for free, who cares?) :D

Oh wow I missed that post somehow. Where can those be had? They can best the my21 on eneloops?
10k lux for single aa is perfect.