laser noob safety question

markr6

Flashaholic
I've tried three of these recently. The first one was great; obviously WAY over spec. Unfortunatley the focusing got messed up. The second one was DOA. The third I just got is pretty nice; not as powerful as the first but still very bright. IMO it would be too much power for a presentation, but great for outdoors. The 1xAAA I have seems more appropriate for the screen.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look for member Tmack. He is the local laser guru. He can best answer those questions. I can tell you that high power lasers are not safe for inside use with out proper eye protection for that laser spectrum.

Arilou

Newly Enlightened
So the seller claims this is 350mA @ 3.7V. Assuming that is true, with typical components that would give about 50 mW output. Certainly more than 5 mW. You'll be able to see the beam pretty easily at night.

Is it safe? Not if you get it directly in your eye.

inetdog

Enlightened
Essentially all "laser pointers" sold on the internet are prominently labelled as 5mw to make them legal for unrestricted sale. The makers assume that you know the real power that you are ordering from the indirect evidence of the drive specs, separate reviews, or word of mouth.

Kennethplut

Newly Enlightened
I have had very good luck with the Trimble 422 and CR600 receiver. We also have a Trimble 722 for the auto laser system on our D5 that has been good so far.