[MINI REVIEW] DQG Spy Ti, tiny key chain light, size comparison.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
DQG first released the brass fairy, very tiny as well with a polished body. Then a Ti version called Spy was released, with a more custom-flashlight look and knurling. It was a must have for me.

The Spy uses a simple twist operation with dual modes. An o-ring holds the head thigh enough to prevent wobble and accidental turn on/loose head. This is technically a flood light, there is no hotspot at all and the reflector doesn't serve much, beam is useless after 4 feet. Dual mode works flawlessly, twist for low, twist more for high.

Construction is quite good I must say, my unit had centered LED, strong knurling, firmly secured trit bar with no sign of glue as other people have reported. I believe one hand operation is impossible.

Before receiving the Spy, I already knew it was tiny. But not this tiny! It measures 27mm long and 12mm diameter (About 1.2in long). Here are some pictures comparing the size with other small objects:

16ll1ds.jpg

Left to Right: Small SS clip, DQG Spy, INOVA squeeze light, INOVA microlight, INOVA STS key chain light.

mjvlag.jpg

Left to Right: Small chocolate bar, CR123, SQG Spy, Sim card, Quarter, Pistachio.

5jtaoh.jpg

My 5 year old Lummi RAW AL, still in perfect working condition!

2rzcl8j.jpg

Gerber GDC Zip Blade, I prefer it over my old "buggy".
30uy7p0.jpg

My "EDC", kept in place by the Exotac Freekey system. This is the very best key chain ring.

I hope this mini review has been useful to you. Any questions are welcome!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info!

I did not buy the DQG charger, but I ordered 2 additional "Veleno Design 10180 batteries" and I will use a 250mA generic li-ion charger for now. I would most likely order the MBI HF Ti along with the cotton picker charger soon, if I find enough reason to get rid of the spy as my key chain light. (not happening that easily!)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those same Veleno 10180 cells for my Quantum.
That charger though is way too high for the 10180 cell.
The cell is around ~80mAh so 250mAh charging will degrade batteries quickly.

I guess another reason to get the MBI HF and charger combo!

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
Was about to order the DQG Fairy then I learned the body has lead and I also spotted this Spy. I would really love this plus the radioactive tritium vial, but these are so expensive :(.

fxsniper

Newly Enlightened
I am going to get the Spy...and adapter to charge. After screwing in the adapter, where do you connect to charge? Only to a computer USB port?

stanmore

Newly Enlightened
I am going to get the Spy...and adapter to charge. After screwing in the adapter, where do you connect to charge? Only to a computer USB port?

Im currently waiting for my fairy to arrive, but USB has a standard protocol. That means any USB socket should be able to power it, inlcuding a port on a computer. However a computer port is usually limited to 500mA, and more is recommended. It's best to use an external adapter/battery pack to avoid lengthening charging times or possible damaging your computer ports (unlikely as it is).

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im currently waiting for my fairy to arrive, but USB has a standard protocol. That means any USB socket should be able to power it, inlcuding a port on a computer. However a computer port is usually limited to 500mA, and more is recommended. It's best to use an external adapter/battery pack to avoid lengthening charging times or possible damaging your computer ports (unlikely as it is).

While led this is generally true, a 10180 doesn't need anywhere near that to charge. Quite a bit less than that actually. Charge your 10180 on 50 mA and leave the 200 mA for 10440 cells.

Last edited:

Latest posts