shots of my lights

crucialcolin

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to post up some shots and thoughts about my led flashlights after winning a Nitecore TM11vn here in the giveway thread. Thanks again thedoc007!

Anywho before recently the only LED based flaslights I had were maglites with LED modules. MY 4D had an official mag lite drop in bulb replacement. Then my AA mag had a terralux tle-5ex. For whatever reason my 4D liked to eat D cell alkaline for lunch if I left it sitting around any with the batteries inserted. I'm talking about a month or two time frame. Then my AA which seemed to get great battery life but the dome on the LED module recently melted off. Thus I figured it probably wont last much longer. Thus my search for better lights began. Around the same time I got the TM11vm I also bought a Thrunite TN2014.

here are the comparison shots I took tonight in a local park with my Panasonic FZ200 using manual settings and with each light at its max output level. Not sure of the distance of these since I am by no means an expert at beam shots.

First up is the Mini maglite AA with Teralux:
14666515886_219eb8bf98_c.jpg

Second is the Big 4D LED Maglite:
14686355231_df92565e61_c.jpg

Third is the Thrunite TN2014
14502882619_3053634182_c.jpg

Lastly the awesomeness that is the TM11vn
14709411403_62c604273a_c.jpg

Then here are two additional shots between the TN2014 and TM11vn.
14502890748_95db1d7760_c.jpg

14666516876_83d83f0fb6_c.jpg

As you can see both the Thrunite TN2014 and Nitecore TM11vn put the maglites to shame.

Last edited:

crucialcolin

Newly Enlightened
Additional thoughts:

Both the TN2014 and TM11vn seem pretty similar in throw output. Of course with the spill being wider on the TM11vn. When I first got the TM11vn I sort of wanted a bit more throw however I'm not sure I would be willing to give up much in the spill. Interestingly however after comparing it to my 4D which at its max distance(basically pencil beam) I felt the TM11vn throws twice the distance. Supposedly the 4D is rated at 335m by Maglite a number that has to be way off.

While both lights heat up pretty quickly on their highest setting. The Thrunite is quickly concerning how hot it can get! The TM11vn just seems to get uncomfortable to hold after awhile. At least in bare hands.

As far as the TM11vn I got from the thedoc007. I will say I've been having a bit of troubles figuring out the switch UI so far. Plus I will admit I've always been a fan of the tactical style lights. However I recently took this light on walk and actually found it better suited then a switch on the back. I also quickly discovered that its lowest output setting works best. Again at high or turbo I felt it became pretty uncomfortable to hold during my testing as I was trying to see if it hit the step down over a period of about 5-10 minutes. As I'm looking to start walking more(to hot during the day around these parts lately) this will definitely become my go to light for that purpose.

At any rate I've found that both new lights have their uses. In fact the TN12 2014 will be replacing my 2AA and the TM11vn will be replacing my 4D. So it worked out perfect for me :) I see myself getting a ton of use out of both.

Honestly I will probably use the TN12 as more an EDC since the TM11vn can bit awkward to carry even its its holster for that purpose. Doesn't fit well while driving with seat belt on for example. I really like the momentary on tactical style with the TN12 as well. Its well suited for times where I might want to quickly light something up. On the flip side the TM11vn will be used for everything else including the previously mentioned night walks.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots! I have GOT to get a decent camera. My cell phone just isn't up to the job.

Glad you are liking the TM11!

crucialcolin

Newly Enlightened
Could be worse you could be like me and not really know how to use your camera properly. One of these days I need to learn :laughing: Its got an amazing amount of functionality built in.

In fact I'd my fz200 is a lot like the TM11. The constant 2.8 Aperture Leica lens is what really makes the camera(even with the small P&S sensor). Although its a few years old now I don't think you can get anything similar.