How do you measure beam angle?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, not a review...but a question relating to review writing, in my case anyway.

What's the best way to do this?

(Okay...nice little typo in the title there...let's try that again!)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Since I am one of the worst spellers on the planet, I need to tread lightly here but bean??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I took the liberty to change the title.

I believe the convention is to measure and provide 1/2 theata as the beam angle. I find this very confusing since the viewing angle has been cut in half by convention??!?! Anyway, for what I would consider to be a realistic approach, if you lay the light on its side, you can often get a good idea of the angle from viewing the dispersion of the beam as it's seen on a flat surface the light is on. You can also measure the diameter of the beam at a known distance from the light source and use some trig to calculate the angle.

Sorry not much help but I did get rid of the bean! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally beam dispersions are specified as the half-angle to which the intensity is half that at the center. Photometrists assume an ideal beam which is round and smooth, none of those Maglite rings, Luxeon-5-watter donuts and Surefire ovals. Angle measures start in the middle and go outward since they see little need to measure the same thing twice - remember they assume the spot is the same all the way round. The full-angle does get quoted now and then though, that`s just twice the half angle - from the half-intensity point on one side going through the center spot to the half-intensity point on the other side.

I use a beam target calibrated to give half-angle values when the light is 50cm away form the surface, which is fine for small lights like LEDs but does give false results with tighter beams such as Spotlights and similar long throwing incandescents - the beam isn`t fully formed at such close distances. I just eyeball the approximate half-angle from the digital photo of each beam profile, but a more scientific way would be to use a light meter with a small photocell (not one of those large-window ones), measure the brightness in the middle then slowly move out till it reads half that peak value. That`s your half-angle right there. You don`t need a target to do this though - as Don suggests, laying the light on a flat surface with the beam shining along will also allow you to measure its angle. If you remember Trigonometry and stuff like that from school (I don`t!) you can measure the intensity and calculate the angle at whatever distance you choose, space permitting of course.

Bean angles on the other hand, can be measured by placing the bean on top of a protractor with the curved part of the bean at the middle zero-point. I can draw a diagram if it helps. Light meters don`t work too well at determining their half-angles.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think a target like the one you're using would be the most simple way by the sound of it Chris M, and given that I only have one spotlight, I doubt they're much of an issue (just use trig for that one!), you don't know where I'd find one do you?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">...you don't know where I'd find one do you?</font>

Mine was made for me ages ago, but I don`t have any spare copies on hand unfortunately. I don`t think it`s a standard thing you can buy, but it isn`t hard to make your own variant by hand on a big bit of A3 or A2 paper, calculating the spacing using that trigonometry stuff.
I`d reccomend doing one calibrated at one meter ideally, mine was done shorter because originally I didn`t have a lot of room where it was to fit the camera and light in. It`s since been moved and I have meant to produce a new one for a longer range, plus a large one of some kind that could go outside for Spotlights and other long-throwers. Beam shapes at a half-meter for a Spotlight with a 7 inch diameter reflector can be very misleading.....

wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, I take beamshots from 1m (which is kinda decided by my camera as much as anything else), will run a few numbers tonight, see what I can put together.

Thanks for the info!