Novatac MT-G Mule

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay guys,

I have had a dead Novatac sitting in my parts bin for the better part of a year. I kept it on the back burner but it never really left my thoughts, haunting me really. I've done XP-E, XP-G, XM-L, XP-L, Nichia (Both Reflector and Mule) as well as a few Triples. The little voice in my head kept asking......"How are you gonna top those?" Well one day it hit me like a ton of bricks........

Take one standard Novatac light with dead module, remove head and disassemble. Discard reflector and module. Use dremel to remove the taper in the head that the reflector rested on and make it an even bore.

Take plenty of measurements. Using 1" copper plumbing pipe as a base, construct the heatsink.

While building the heatsink make sure to leave a cavity in the bottom for the 3 amp Zener modded linear driver. That's right, this baby is powered by 2xIMR18350's! Not my prettiest soldering work but hey, it works great.

Also while building the heatsink be sure to leave just enough of a cavity for the big A$$ emitter to clear the lens. Yep, she's an MT-G2 on Noctigon copper 20mm board. The 3/4" copper pipe has an I.D. of just slightly less than the MT-G2 board so some minor filing had to be done but she definitely looks at home in there.

On the tail end side of things.................I was going to use a guts from an old Surefire Z41 just as Lightjunk did in his triple mod. As I took the tale apart I got out the meter and did some checking. It turns out that the battery negative spring and the outer ring that attaches to the body are already connected. The momentary contact in the switch only makes contact with the middle ring that the signal spring rides on. With that theory in place I did a quick check and sure enough, the tail can be used as is just like a Z41 on a Surefire so that end is done for me.

The Driver runs the NLite program and I have it set for moonlight, low, med, high (120 second timer) with no memory so it always starts on moon.
A quick check of the Drive Levels......
Moonlight------24ma
Low-----------145ma
Med-----------953ma
OMG---------2906ma

Powered by 2 Purple Efest V2 IMR18350's 700ma

Here it is beside my 120P Nichia Mule.

It's a little nose heavy with all that copper but it feels good attached to the pocket with the Dark Sucks pocket clip.

Maybe one day I will learn how to take better pics.

Thanks for looking,

Jamie

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novatac 1800M

Nice work! I have yet to play with that giant LED. Maybe one day soon.

How much light does it put out full blast?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

This one is a 4000k and the sheet says around 1800 at 3 amps.

I have an Armytek Wizard pro wide Cool 1010 Lumen and it washes it out on the wall.

This was my first endeavor with the MT-G2 but I bet it won't be my last.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

How toasty does it get?

Haven't ran it very long yet but you can feel the temperature change in the first 30 seconds.

EDIT: I just ran it until the 120 seconds stepdown kicked in and it was already toasty but not burning. Similar to but not as intense as holding a fresh mug of coffee.

I really built the light for the moon, low and 1 amp medium. The 3 amp High is just for giggles and reactions.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like it! I may have to do this to mine. :)

LightJunk

Enlightened

WOW...very nice mod with the MT-G2. I was having problem with my tailcap as I couldn't switch the light off with the Tri EDC dropin. Thus the gutting of the stock switch.

I might want to copy this mod. Excellent build. What reflector are you going to use?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW...very nice mod with the MT-G2. I was having problem with my tailcap as I couldn't switch the light off with the Tri EDC dropin. Thus the gutting of the stock switch.

I might want to copy this mod. Excellent build. What reflector are you going to use?

None, I'm gonna leave it a Mule. I may build another soon and try using a Ledil Boom.