Smallest 18650 800+ lumen light.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
***UPDATE****

Since I have last logged on, my husband bought a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and two Olight S10 L2 Baton keychain lights (one for each of us) to go with his TM26 that he is no longer taking to work.

He is now interested in buying the smallest single 18650 battery flashlight with at least 800 lumens but preferably over 900 lumens. That appears to be the Zebralight SC600w MKII. Is there one smaller that meets that description? He would like to try neutral white since his other three lights are all cool white but that's not a must.

PS: Yvonne from Nitecore did confirm to me in Skype chat that a TM26 tail will fit on a TM36 head. I asked about buying tails separately and she said she'd speak to corporate. No response so far on that one.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
If you do not mind going semi-custom take a look at the Mountain Electronics "S3" EDC 18650 Flashlight - Triple XP-G2 - Black. 1200+ lumens estimated for the highest current version. Different LED tints and drive current levels available. Look under Flashlights on the Mountain Electronics web site. The light is 24mm diameter x 115mm long. The owner, Richard, is very good about answering messages.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I didn't check the lumen specs, and certainly the NW will be lower than the CW tint, but you might look at the
DQG 18650 II Cree XM-L2
1100 for cool and 1020 for neutral. My husband will forego the 80 lumens to try neutral since every other light he has is cool.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
If you do not mind going semi-custom take a look at the Mountain Electronics "S3" EDC 18650 Flashlight - Triple XP-G2 - Black. 1200+ lumens estimated for the highest current version. Different LED tints and drive current levels available. Look under Flashlights on the Mountain Electronics web site. The light is 24mm diameter x 115mm long. The owner, Richard, is very good about answering messages.

My husband is happier than a pig in poop with this. He thinks it's awesome and cannot thank you enough. I have a ton of questions for them regarding swapping out customizable parts but I also have one for you. Do you know the measurements on this light?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
My husband is happier than a pig in poop with this. He thinks it's awesome and cannot thank you enough. I have a ton of questions for them regarding swapping out customizable parts but I also have one for you. Do you know the measurements on this light?

I believe I listed the metric measurements but if you want them in inches the light is very close to 15/16" in diameter and 4.5" long. One of the most compact 18650 battery flashlights made that has a tail switch rather than being "twisty" operation.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you do not mind going semi-custom take a look at the Mountain Electronics "S3" EDC 18650 Flashlight - Triple XP-G2 - Black. 1200+ lumens estimated for the highest current version.

I have and often recommend the convoy S2 less than $16. It is typically recommended that it is driven at 1400 ma, and can be ordered at 2800 ma from fasttech or banggood or illuminationsupply, certainly others sell it, as the convoy brand catches on. Most say, that when it is driven at 2800 ma it heats up too quickly. I think that Mtn ELectronics pushes it to 5 amps! Wouldn't that make the S2 S3 S4 lights too hot to handle within a minute or two?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Mountain Electronics maximum current version pushes it all the way to 5.8 Amps but also includes a 90 second automatic step down from maximum output mode. The web site description clearly warns of fast heating but there are also versions with 3.0 and 4.4 Amps maximum drive levels available. One advantage of ordering a custom light like this one is the build versatility achievable with choices available for almost all features. The OP asked about a maximum output 18650 minimum size flashlight and so far as I know this is it. I have the maximum current version and per the owner of Mountain Electronics the next to highest output level is OK for continuous operation. No problems yet with mine.

I believe that ALL Mountain Electronics high output lights include Turbo Timers to prevent the lights overheating and self destructing.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading the specs on this light. I see it is triple which puts out high lumens, but not made for throw. As long as they don't need the throw it sounds lilke a good light.

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Olight m18 striker will give you 800lm and Is quite small for single 18650.

Lightning Bub

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a couple Skyray stainless steel flashlights that take a single 18650.

Specifications:
Emitter Type: CREE XM-L T6 LED
Light Color: White
LED Quantity: 1
Battery Configurations:1x 18650 3.7v
Switch Location: Tail
5 switch Mode: high / middle / low / strobe / sos
Brightness: 1000 lumens
LED Lifespan: 100,000 hours
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum smooth reflector
Casing Color: white
Size(mm):125mm x 32(bezel)/32(body)
Weight: 120g

I will report back once they arrive from China.

41-18bK3a8L.jpg

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Lightning Bub;

Chinese Lumens as a single XM-L is not even rated for 1000 lumens by Cree at maximum current so far as I know. Additionally stainless steel is a poor heat conductor compared to Aluminum so a minimal size high output light made of it is guaranteed to overheat internally unless it has a turbo timeout function to limit the time it remains in high output mode. I have a CustomLites Inc stainless steel 3 amps XML2 18650 light and it may be somewhere near 1000 LED Lumens which I suspect is no more than about 800 or so out the front lumens. It also gets hot fast. Diameter is the same as the Mountain Electronics light and it is about 1/2" longer.

I NEVER trust claimed Lumens listings from Chinese sellers as they are typically inflated by a factor of 1.5X to as much as 4X compared to accurate ANSI "Out The Front" lumens listings. If you read many of the flashlight specifications pages of Chinese sellers for their lights the claims are both inconsistent and impossible. Just like the claimed 5000mAh and greater claimed capacities for some 18650 Batteries from the same sellers. The absolute maximum current actual capacity for a 18650 size Lithium Ion battery is 3600 mAh and protected versions of the genuine battery cost $20+ each.

Even some of the ANSI specifications are such as to allow greatly exaggerated claims. ANSI listed run times are to 10% of maximum output level which for many lights is far below when a normal user would replace the batteries and in the case of many Lithium Ion battery lights is beyond the safe discharge level of the batteries. Better lights have a voltage sensor function that cuts off the light to prevent damage to Lithium Ion batteries from excessive discharge. "Protected" lithium Ion batteries have added circuit boards to protect against over charge, over discharge and electrical shorting of the battery. ANSI throw specifications are for illuminating a target to 1/4 Lumen light level. This is too low for many people to see anything of the target. Practical throw distance is 1/2 the claimed distance or less for many people.

Last edited: