Rev 3 Maratac AAA CU (copper) available soon

EsthetiX

Enlightened
FYI,

Just received an email back that this will be available in about a month or so @ countycomm.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but I assume it wouldn't be any different than the other REV 3's. :)

This. Can't wait. However, I have noticed a distinct difference in the light quality from the Rev 2 with Cree R3 and the Rev 3 with the Cree XP-G2 R5. The Maratac Rev 2 light has a yellow cast, and though I have never been one to say "hey, I like yellow light," it is far more comfortable to sit for hours in the low mode of the Rev 2 than it is in the low mode of the Rev 3, which seems to be, subjectively of course, a light less pleasing to the eye. I think they have different applications, so I wish CountyComm would continue to produce and sell the Rev 2 along side the Rev 3 (fat chance :/ ).

But I admit I do need that medium mode, for its brightness and its longevity. In reading about what a lot of people think of the Maratacs, they love the Rev 3 for its incredible abilities (wow, bright... lasts a long time... handles Lithion ion, etc), but no one seems to notice, or mention that they notice the actual qualilty of the light (photons) themselves. I find this to be a common oversight in most reviews or comparisons of any flashlights, i.e. they're missing a subjective treatment of the light quality (not just what cast it has, but what it feels like to be submerged in it for a time, and in direct comparison to other "standard" lights that the reader would be familiar with, or with a light source that provides accurate color detection, or contrast, compared to the reviewed light. )

One more thing... I hope they use an orange glowing ring for the Rev 3 Cu, as opposed to the green glowing ring on the standard Rev 3. That would seem a better fit, aesthetically ;)

currently, it appears the standard Al AAA Rev 3 is back in stock. :)
Also, they still have in stock the Cu CR123 and the Cu AA Rev 2.
Watch this page for the release of the Cu AAA Rev 3: http://www.countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
currently, it appears the standard Al AAA Rev 3 is back in stock. :)
Also, they still have in stock the Cu CR123 and the Cu AA Rev 2.
Watch this page for the release of the Cu AAA Rev 3: http://www.countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

uh, oddly the note on the Cu AAA page that said check back today, July 25th, now says "Check back Nov. 21st"

A clever ruse? Or did they sell out within minutes?

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
uh, oddly the note on the Cu AAA page that said check back today, July 25th, now says "Check back Nov. 21st"

A clever ruse? Or did they sell out within minutes?

Here's the email I received a week ago..

"We will start production of these in a few weeks so It will be about a month or so.

Thank you,

Mike"

Not sure what the deal is with that. I did email back just now.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any time a popular product is out of stock, a company loses money with each missed order. I wrote them last week to humbly suggest, even as much as I love their EDC/survival catalog, that they should stop selling anything but flashlights, and focus on keeping them in stock, or at the very least split the Maratac flashlights off from CountyComm site to be sold exclusively through "maratac.com," and open two store fronts, just for flashlights, one in a place like Portland OR, and another on the east coast somewhere, like Nags Head or a resort town in FL. I also suggested they produce a 650-700nm red thrower (because there's only one decent AAA red LED light I'm aware of, the Foursevens Atom A0 with red led, and that's a flood, and probably much more orange than 650nm), and a 375nm UV version of the AAAs, AAs. Some content removed....Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
One post removed. Unfounded conjecture. Poster can go to the Undergound and continue there.

Bill

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rev 2 is current controlled with no pwm. Simple lo-high. I like it. Rev 3 got crappy pwm. Gave that one away. I think pwm is annoying. Might be why some prefer the rev 2 for long term use.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rev 2 is current controlled with no pwm. Simple lo-high. I like it. Rev 3 got crappy pwm. Gave that one away. I think pwm is annoying. Might be why some prefer the rev 2 for long term use.

I thought that the Rev.2 low did have pwm, but I just checked and I cannot see it, but I can see it on the low in Rev.3. The Rev.3 doesn't have it on high, only medium and low.

I have to agree that the Rev.2 is a nicer light, especially that its only available in copper, which has superior thermal properties to aluminum. It makes the light a lot heavier, but should protect its electronics from the heat better if you're going to sport a 10440 (against CountyComm's recommendations, but we know its safe from intrepid owners using it that way for years).

Now that I know there's no pwm on the Rev.2 I'm not sure if that's why its nicer to sit in, or if its the warmer yellow cast. The Rev.3 just feels like a colder, less flattering light, which might be better for searching. And it should be noted the medium on the Rev.3 is nice because often its better to have lower light for more time than the brightest light for less.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sensetive to pwm. I spot it in seconds on all my new lights. High mode rarely uses pwm in any light. its a way to make the light dimmer. I usually dont buy lights with pwm. But some few pwm lights are too nice to ignore :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all in the frequency. I've seen lights where the PWM frequency is high enough that it's not a bother at all, and one of the benefits is that there is no tint shift when changing to lower levels.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is all in the frequency. But i can spot the "invisible pwm" from a quark mini with ease. I think its 2,25 KHz if i remeber correctly. I need a light with way higher frequency to not notice the flicker. And few lights got that fast pwm. Its when i start moving i spot it from glare/reflections in my sideview. If im sitting still in a chair and shine at a wall, then yea its invisible.

radu1976

Enlightened
Wouldn't you guys think that the MARATAC flashlights - nice lights though, no doubt - have hiperinflated output or/and runtime ?!

In regards to AAA version this is how they are rated :
Version 2 : 115 lumens for 1hr
Version 3 : 40 lumens for 7hr
138 lumens for 1:10hr

Well, PELICAN 1910 puts 39 lumens for 1:15hr - first single mode generation - and
MICROSTREAM II puts 28 lumens for 3 hr .... those 2 are using XP-C emitters which have lower efficiency than XP-G2 but so much lower ?!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Pelican-1910-vs-Streamlight-Microstream/page2

Further more .... THRUNITE TIs puts 60 lumens for 1:05hr using an XP-G - not XP-G2 - emitter ...so basically using and updated XP-G2 L.E.D. the MARATAC AAA is almost 2.5 times - 150% more efficient - ?!
FENIX LD09 with its XP-E2 puts 130 lumens for 1:30 hr but using a much larger capacity cell - AA -
FENIX E05 2014 model puts 85 lumens for 0:45hr using same AAA alkaline cell ... so MARATAC AAA is 2.5 times more efficient - again 150% more efficiency - using XP-G2 vs XP-E2 !
Using the same XP-G2 emitter ITP I3s puts 80 lumens for 1 hr ... so it's twice less efficient than MARATAC AAA V3 !

How's the runtime of MARATAC being measured : from its peak to the moment the output is reaching 1 lumen ?!

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't you guys think that the MARATAC flashlights have hiperinflated output or/and runtime ?!

Nope. Someones already tested the rev3s here, a few-couple times. There are graphs. I think on medium it was 5 hours to 50% light. Maratacs claims are to the dying of the light, to dark, to the last little bit it can eak out (they didn't espouse how useful the last 10 mins of light is), that's what they got on a duracell alkaline. YMMV.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone recall what modes rev 1 was? L --> M --> H?

I had a v2 copper and it barely patinaed which made me think it was lower quality copper than the v1/original because those would patina like crazy

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone recall what modes rev 1 was? L --> M --> H?

I had a v2 copper and it barely patinaed which made me think it was lower quality copper than the v1/original because those would patina like crazy

I remember Rev1 having at least two versions. I had a copper LMH and have a stainless MLH, both rev1.