HDS Systems        

View Poll Results: Which would you be happier to get as a gift if you didn't have any nice flashlights?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • TM11

4 80.00%
  • DDR30

1 20.00%

Thread: If you received a gift, what would you be happier with?

Default If you received a gift, what would you be happier with?

I'm going to get a light as a gift for a buddy who doesn't presently have a high quality flashlight. Would you rather get a Nitecore TM11 or a Jetbeam DDR30? Why?

Default Re: If you received a gift, what would you be happier with?

Both lights you mention are running on 18650 batteries. Is your 'buddy' familiar with these batteries? Does he have a charger for these batteries?
    I always recommend to give a AAA- or AA-battery light, to someone who is new to the high-end flashlight business.
    Last edited by kj2; 07-23-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Both light you mention are running on 18650 batteries. Is your 'buddy' familiar with these batteries? Does he have a charger for these batteries?
    I always recommend to give a AAA- or AA-battery light, to someone who is new to the high-end flashlight business.
    No, I don't believe that he has a charger yet. I like the fact that the TM11 can use CR123s, but the built-in charger of the DDR30 is nice...

The Nitecore TM11 is a light I used to own. I really, really liked it, only got rid of it because I got the updated version (TM26). It has extremely wide flood, so it is a great hiking or general purpose light. It is also lighter, more than an inch shorter, and takes four instead of three 18650s, so runtime should be better. I really like the voltage indicator also, rather than the dumbed-down battery level indicator on the DDR30. The TM11 has four modes, the DDR30 has only three. It has been my experience that the larger the light is, the more unlikely it is for me to carry it. So I would prefer the TM11 for that reason.

I can definitely see some advantages to the DDR30. The extra size might mean you can run it longer before it gets too hot, although I would have to test that to be sure. It is definitely a better thrower, so if your friend has lots of wide open spaces (hundred meters or more) the DDR30 will easily outperform the TM11. The DDR30 also has a better low mode, so if you need that, that is a deal-breaker for the TM11, which has a low of 200 lumens.

The TM15 and DDR30 are actually closer rivals. The TM11 is more of a flooder. For my purposes, the TM11 would make me happier, but your mileage (or your friend's) may vary.

DDR30, just for the charger really... For gifts I tend to stay with AA or AAA, but 18650 with a built in charger is self contained enough that a none flashaholic would not need to worry about unusual batteries.

I would be happy with a AAA light and happier with a AA.....

Thanks everyone. I wound up going with a Nitecore EAX because of the fact that it accepts AAs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Both light you mention are running on 18650 batteries. Is your 'buddy' familiar with these batteries? Does he have a charger for these batteries?
    +1. There are lots of quality AA and AAA lights to choose from. If he hates rechargeables, he can stick with lithium primaries or even alkalines.