3 D Cell Mag-Lite

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have a 3 D Cell Mag Lite that I have had for a number of years.

The bulb blew out recently and I'd like to replace it with another one.

Looks like I have a few options:

http://www.maglite.com/anatomy_spare_D_LED.asp

White Star Lamp - Original I assume?

Mag-num Star Lamp - Some sort of upgrade?

LED Module

I have read that Mag-Lites are garbage, but I think I'd like to hold on to this light for sentimental reasons while making the most of it if possible.

I have already put money into a nice mount for it and D-Cell batteries.

The "clear lens" is also not so clear at this point in it's life. It has scratches etc. I am very good at sanding and polishing headlight lenses etc etc but I am not sure how this one would turn out.

Sorry this is not my area of expertise, so I decided to come here and ask you about it.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
You can always use Maglite original spare bulb, or update it to a led. Do you know, from what year your Mag is?
I've put a Cree led replacement, in my 2/3D Mag. Those can be found on eBay for example. Mine is 140/180 lumens IIRC, but newer ones are 220 for what I see.

ukiltmybrutha

Newly Enlightened
You can always use Maglite original spare bulb, or update it to a led. Do you know, from what year your Mag is?
I've put a Cree led replacement, in my 2/3D Mag. Those can be found on eBay for example. Mine is 140/180 lumens IIRC, but newer ones are 220 for what I see.

Thanks, it is somewhere between 5-9 years old at this point. First letter in the serial number is D if that helps.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks, it is somewhere between 5-9 years old at this point. First letter in the serial number is D if that helps.
For what I know, those can use the led replacement I bought. Will send you a link via PM, so you can check it out :)

Last edited:

stokaboka

Newly Enlightened
Try a Malkoff Devices dropin. Top quality, easy to install and really bright. It also retains the ability of the Maglite to focus.

Last edited:

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have a 3 D Cell Mag Lite that I have had for a number of years.

The bulb blew out recently and I'd like to replace it with another one.

Looks like I have a few options:

http://www.maglite.com/anatomy_spare_D_LED.asp

White Star Lamp - Original I assume?

Mag-num Star Lamp - Some sort of upgrade?

LED Module

I have read that Mag-Lites are garbage, but I think I'd like to hold on to this light for sentimental reasons while making the most of it if possible.

I have already put money into a nice mount for it and D-Cell batteries.

The "clear lens" is also not so clear at this point in it's life. It has scratches etc. I am very good at sanding and polishing headlight lenses etc etc but I am not sure how this one would turn out.

Sorry this is not my area of expertise, so I decided to come here and ask you about it.

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for that reminder, cuz I recently dug-out my old (2-Cell) Mag* Lite.. ..of which, I've misplaced again! You're right on with now a few options to re-Light it again.

Cheers,
Full Power

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spend the money on a Malkoff dropin and an ultra clear glass lens (UCL) and you won't believe it's the same light.

I've got a Malkoff dropin running two 18650 cells in a 2D Maglite with a shortened spring. Perfect combination of size, simplicity, output and runtime.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also highly recommend the Malkoff drop-in and a glass replacement lens.The TerraLUX TLE-6EXB is a decent lower cost LED replacement but it is not in the same class as the Malkoff and doesn't offer the same performance.

gsr

Enlightened
As stated above, get the Malkoff drop in, and start destroying the dark.