Mag 2D upgrade or replacement

Blikbok

Enlightened
In the last round of splurge spending, I stashed 2D Maglights around the house and cars, about 6 or more, I don't think I could find them all anymore
frown.gif

These are my Everyone-Grab-a-Light lights, and I'd like to upgrade/replace them, since I've grown so tired of the crappy light output. Even when there is life left in the cells, the output is nearly useless.
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rougly same brightness as stock bulb or 1W LS, but longer useful runtime. I'm afraid this means I might need regulated LED mods, but I'm not ready for that yet-- it may break my budget.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Still use D cells. I have a crate or two
wink.gif
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Minimal work. I don't solder.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Less than $20 per light.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My focus just as strong on using D cells as using the existing lights. I'm not ready to completely replace them and move to AA or 123...yet. If I decide to abandon them, then it's a whole new set of variables.
Any suggestions, comments or similar experiences appreciated.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec Surge is good. But you probably know that already. It cost more than $20 and uses AAs. This is one of the best AA routes

Brinkmann Legend LX uses 123s. But only have a 1 hour run time. Output should be the same as the Surge on used batteries or so.

For D cell solutions, maybe you can go to your local store and see if they have any blown out sale and get some 4D lanterns or lights at a cheap price. Then get some KPR113 bulbs (or any other 3.6 volts 0.5 amps minimum Krpyton bulbs) and replace the light's with the bulb. You should get a decent amount of light.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I haven't played with the Surge except for a little bit. I've been thinking about a layered strategy, with 4-AA or 2-123a lights for the cars and heavier lights for the house. But the more I think about this, I'm fearing I have wandered into LED modding territory
frown.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
That may be the ticket.
(BTW: the url doesn't seem to work right. I went to the www.leddynamics.com page and navigated from there.)

Except I can't find a link to order from. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try my link again...-I fixed it.
FYI- they will be releasing that multi-voltage side emitter in about a week.

Got this very interesting new info. from another thread -going on right now..8>)

Blikbok

Enlightened
I've got to admit I like the EverLED better. I'm guessing this thread is moving more and more into the LED or modified section.
frown.gif

I will be checking out the EverLED as soon as possible. The PR-2 seems to dim and too limited for my purpose of a long-runtime equivalent. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ReconTech:
Anyone have any clue how much one of these unit will run? I assume they are luxeon emitters in the PR base?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think I remember reading somewhere on here that this side emitting Luxeon will be just under $40.USD.

**3 members on another thread have already gotten something that sounds very similar. see: "Have any members seen or purchased the Epieon from Ledcorp?" [in the LEDs, Electroluminescent and Lasers section]

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blikbok:
A drop in LED module for your 2D sounds good. Do some research - find out the BRIGHTEST replacement BULBS to get for your 2D, and do the research for the best LED module. The mags do tend to be sturdy little lights, and the spare bulb in the tailcap is a nice option. (Plus, there is always the ongoing R & D into new colors and finishes that Mag has become so famous for.)

Latest posts