Wifey is Perplexed: My Obsession...

mrkennethtong

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy Flashlights. The light generated brings pleasure to me. She does not understand my fascination. Nevertheless, I persevere.

Taz80

Enlightened
Me to, it generally goes like this " whats that? you didn't buy another flashlight did you?" Well umm yah umm unhuh. "What for you have hundreds of flashlights". Well umm the last one broke and umm I need it for work. " Yah right"

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to the States in August to visit family and friends. I'm having packages sent to my best friend - one way to make sure I visit him and spend some time chilling out with him. Now I'm getting emails - another package arrived, are these all flashlights?

The wife gave up a long time ago.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucky for me, when I got married, I already had tons of lights. So she knew what she was getting into. Turns out she was a closet flashaholic. She likes the "little shiny" ones the most. Must remind her of diamonds? I tell her diamonds are womens best friend, and damascus is a mans! So she gets it.

UnderPar

Enlightened
No issues at all for me. Even when she sees new lights, she doesn't mind at all coz she know how obsessed I am with light, AC or DC powered. Very understanding, in short. :cool: :cool:

caleb_v

Newly Enlightened
I have always liked torches but in the last month I have become obsessed with them and bought 4. My wife is not happy about it. I have to just smile and wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Mine too.... Well, ex-wife that is. She gave me that old line, "it's her or the flashlights" ... It really isn't even worth Fighting over! ....I did shine a light for her while she packed her stuff to the car. Snakes are crawlin' this time of yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you are not over-extending yourself, and are just using "play" money, just remind her of all the other crazy things you could be spending money on. Flashlights are a pretty benign hobby compared to a LOT of other things. And at least it does have SOME use...

Taz80

Enlightened
My wife is an accountant, so there is no such thing as play money, That said she,d rather me buy things that shine than things that go boom. And she does reluctantly admit that they are useful.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually i don't think my wife realized it was a weird obsession because i slowly crawled into it. i'm pretty good about it though and don't buy multiple lights at the same time. her friends probably thinks i'm weird but it's normal for her now. oddly enough i never got a flashlight as a gift from the wifey but from another girl friend. scandalous.

the wifey did made a comment on our last trip that i was "smart to bring 3 flashlights" when we explored a tourist cave while with her girl friend. so i think as long as there is a function she can never complain even though partly i just like playing with lights unnecessarily.

dansranch

Newly Enlightened
just share this observation with her.. "look Honey someday even you will see that it is very very dark under six feet of earth, so until then, one should enjoy the pleasure of all the light he can find..."

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife doesn't get it either. Oddly, guns, knives and watches, she "gets," though I try not to tell her how much they cost. It's my play money, so no big deal. But lights, even though she uses them, she doesn't get. And then she'll complain about the UI on whatever light of MINE she grabs (not hers), or the lack of just the right level ...but of course, then she didn't want the one with infinitely variable brightness magnetic ring interface...

wjv

Enlightened
Given all the ways people can blow money (drugs, gambling, sex, booze and such) spouses should be happy if all we spend money on is flashlights. . . .

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my mantra from nbp: buy it, use it, and love it. He was talking about McGizmos and it is true. I used it with my wife. She took (dragged) me out to buy a new handbag. She kept looking at one particular bag. Do you like it? Yes, but it's expensive. "Buy it, use it, and love it." I may not have saved any money, but I saved at least 2 hours of handbag shopping. And she deserves it - just like I deserve my lights.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I got my mantra from nbp: buy it, use it, and love it. He was talking about McGizmos and it is true. I used it with my wife. She took (dragged) me out to buy a new handbag. She kept looking at one particular bag. Do you like it? Yes, but it's expensive. "Buy it, use it, and love it." I may not have saved any money, but I saved at least 2 hours of handbag shopping. And she deserves it - just like I deserve my lights.

And... the BEST part of this story... "And she deserves it - just like I deserve my lights"

Gotta love ya man :thumbsup:

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
And... the BEST part of this story... "And she deserves it - just like I deserve my lights"

Gotta love ya man :thumbsup:

That was smooooooothe lol may have to tag that line for myself!!

My wife is kinda like "really anooother flashlight?" and then just laughs and walks away lol. She sometimes is even intrigued herself but not really. I have other hobbies that are a little worse and more expensive so to her a flashlight is nothing... Just dont tell her how much they cost and I'm good.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom has the same non-understanding of my flashlight hobby.

(She's usually saying "Mike,you ordered ANOTHER light?")..

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife doesn't get it, but she's used to it. It's an odd hobby to have but no more silly than collecting coins or stamps or some other stuff. Unlike RC cars though which have no resale value you can at least re-sell all your lights and probably get around 80% or your value as long as you keep them in good condition.

Enjoy your hobbies if they make you happy. As long as you can make your other bills and maybe save a little - enjoy it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep telling my wife that she loves flashlights too, but she doesn't seem quite as convinced. She definitely doesn't appear to mind my obsession though, so that's good. :) She certainly thinks they're very useful.

Latest posts