Maelstrom MMS, MM-X, MMR-X differences?

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
I have a few questions regarding these lights I think I've narrowed it down to Four Sevens, at least.

What's the difference between these lights led's? Will I notice a real world difference?

Is the rechargeable light comparable to the others? Will I get enough throw out of it for pointing at things 50 yards away?

I have to order six of these for my unit. They'll be in backpacks for the most part, but need to fit in a pocket while doing investigations. They'll get banged around, but nothing to constitute abuse or even heavy use. They'll be in use for anywhere from an hour or two a day.

What are the highest quality battery and charger (18650) I can get for these?

Thanks to you all for any advice.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference between these lights led's? Will I notice a real world difference?

The MMS uses an XP-G2, which has a smaller die...this means surface brightness is higher, and thus it might throw a little better (have more range) than the other two. But looking at the detailed specs, the beam angle (hotpot) only varies from 6-8 degrees depending on model. This is not a huge difference, so I would expect pretty similar performance, throw-wise. Certainly either the MM-X or MMR-X will be brighter for the first minute, but for extended use, they are all right around 400 lumens. Get whichever one you like...

Is the rechargeable light comparable to the others? Will I get enough throw out of it for pointing at things 50 yards away?

Yes, it is comparable. Certainly any of them will be adequate at 50 yards. That is not a very long distance for a modern 18650-based flashlight.

The MMR-X comes with an 18650...if you go with either of the other two, any quality 3400mAh cell should be fine. Illumination Supply has the SoShine 3400 for $20 for a two-pack, with coupon code it averages out to $8.50 each. That's what I would personally go for.

As for the charger, given that you are ordering six of the lights, consider the Xtar WP6. It is a six-bay charger, so you wouldn't have to worry about changing cells out...just insert all six cells, and take 'em out when they are done. Keeping things simple is generally a good idea.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

I was curious to the answer to this question as well! I'm tired of paying for cheap chargers over and over again.

There's a brick and motar store nearby me that carries Fenix, Xstar and nitecore. All 3 have horrendously cheap battery chargers - I bought 2 of the Xstars, and 1 Fenix and 1 nitecore charger. (I gave xstar a second chance as it may have been a fluke on the first one).

Batteries I'm also looking for the answer. Most batteries I have the wrapping quickly comes off, the chip at the bottom quickly falls off etc. I know there are threads on here as to how to keep the cheap junk going but I'm a bit busy for that and would happily pay more for a quality non Chinese product from the start. Xstar batteries are the best that I have - Eagletacs are the worst - the button top always caves in and I have to take my knife and pry it out so there will be a connection.

I'd certainly be willing to pay more, give up a few hundred miliamp hours for quality tough batteries you could throw in your pack. (The same store also has 18650 battery holders to "protect" them when you throw them in a pack BUT they are cheap junk too and so the lid comes open and you are in the same boat!)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries I'm also looking for the answer. Most batteries I have the wrapping quickly comes off, the chip at the bottom quickly falls off etc. I know there are threads on here as to how to keep the cheap junk going but I'm a bit busy for that and would happily pay more for a quality non Chinese product from the start. Xstar batteries are the best that I have - Eagletacs are the worst - the button top always caves in and I have to take my knife and pry it out so there will be a connection.

I'd certainly be willing to pay more, give up a few hundred miliamp hours for quality tough batteries you could throw in your pack. (The same store also has 18650 battery holders to "protect" them when you throw them in a pack BUT they are cheap junk too and so the lid comes open and you are in the same boat!)

If you don't mind paying for quality,check out the Xtar VP2. Three choices for charging speed means great compatibility with any number of sizes of cells. Smooth sliders, can accommodate anything from 10440 to 26650 with no trouble (and without spacers). Clear digital display with voltage readout. Support for 3.2V, 3.6/3.7V, and 3.8V cells. Just a solid product - as it should be for the price.

Pretty much all quality 18650s are based on just a few different cells. The wrapper, protection circuit, and button top (or lack thereof) are the main differences. So it isn't a matter of giving up capacity...there isn't one brand of cell that is dramatically tougher than the others. I've had good luck with Orbtronic, SoShine, Keeppower, and Xtar cells. I agree that the Eagletac's button top leaves a lot to be desired...no way would I buy more of those, especially given that they are among the most expensive cells.

Illumination Supply has SoShine 3400mAh cells for $20 for two. With coupon code, works out to $8.50 each. They come with a decent case...double clips, I've never had one open accidentally. If you still have problems, maybe you could just wrap a rubber band around the cases...a lot better to do that than to let your cells get damaged.

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
I went with six of the MM-X, two of the VP2 chargers, and a bunch of Olight 3400 batteries. We've been using 2aa pelican lights for years, so I'm pretty excited to watch these guys light these things up.

Thanks again for all the advice.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks doc007 for the leads. I'll look into the VP2.

On the batteries the wrapper, protection circuit and button top are precisely the 3 things that drive me nuts!!

I just noticed a few moments ago my favorite - Xstar 3400 are loosing the wrappers on the newest ones I've bought (2 weeks ago) but the wrappers on my 3 month old batteries are still holding up; hence they were my favorites!

It seems everyone is playing the game now of trying to get you to trust them and then cutting back on the quality,