4Sevens Quark clips... Anyone find the newly branded clips are lower quality?

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a new Quark with another deep carry clip. It came and I immediately noticed the clips were much easier to remove and install than my old ones. I remember I could barely get the old ones off without using some sort of a prying tool. After one day of use, the new deep carry clip was sprung enough that the tip of the clip no longer touched the light. Looking back at my old clips, regular and deep carry, they are all very strong. I compared the old regular clip to my new clip that I removed on the new Quark, and it appears that all the new clips are not nearly as hard as the old ones.

In an email to 4Sevens, I asked if the steel was changed and they assured me it wasn't. So, they sent a replacement thinking it was just one bad clip. The replacement came and it is the same crappy clip I got before. Now, I am considering switching my EDC light because this clip is just not going to stand up to daily use at all. I just emailed them again to ask if they are going to do anything about the quality, but it appears I am the only one who has said anything about it. I can't believe nobody else has noticed, the difference is HUGE!

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
language man :eek:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crappy

crap·py

adjective \ˈkra-pē\: of poor quality : not good

crap·pi·ercrap·pi·est

Full Definition of CRAPPY

slang: markedly inferior in quality : lousy

Didn't realize that was a "bad" word, but ok, sorry.

Got a new Quark a few months ago, the new clip is as sturdy as my five year old Quark clip. These aren't deep carry clips.

If the one you got were as weak as mine, you would notice a big difference. I just pulled out my lights with the standard clips on them and I can barely pull the tip of the old clip off the body of the light with the tip of one finger. I can actually slip my entire pinky finger under the new clip. This must be a bad batch, then. I'll follow up here when I hear back from 4Sevens.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few old logo and new logo Quark clips in both regular and deep pocket carry versions, but I have not purchased one in the last few months. All my clips are very consistent and actually my favorite of any light for the combination of the steel's strength yet flexibility, and secure mount yet easy field repairability (ie, no tools required).

If the one you got were as weak as mine, you would notice a big difference. I just pulled out my lights with the standard clips on them and I can barely pull the tip of the old clip off the body of the light with the tip of one finger. I can actually slip my entire pinky finger under the new clip. This must be a bad batch, then. I'll follow up here when I hear back from 4Sevens.

Interestingly, this ^^ description is true of all my deep pocket Quark clips, simply due the length of steel and leverage from tip to mount. I can easily clip my DPC clips to my pinkie, and yet it always springs back to easily hold the weight of the light on piece of thin receipt paper (my clip tension test). Most of my other lights' clips won't even rebound if clipped to something as thin as a baseball cap bill.

Bummer if the latest batch of clips are weaker than the previous versions... (although I have plenty of stock).

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Clips are important... I think I must hang upside down a lot cuz if my clips aren't good I'll loose my lights and knives.

I'm going thru the same thing with Benchmade right now - seeing a massive difference in what they used to have and what they have now. Jurry is still out though and we're trying to see if possibly I got a couple back to back counterfeits.