New guy having problems with the Nitecore P12

MrBrrx

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

New to this forum and wasn't sure where to post this, so here I go.

I'm new to the flashlight world and I bought my very first " real " flashlight 4 months ago and wow was I impressed, I got the Nitecore P12 after watching some really cool reviews on youtube, any way I got the flashlight and was more than happy for a couple of months and then the issues started, light would flicker from time to time when switching modes or it would even skip one step ( skipping medium when cycling through the modes straight from low to max just blinking through the medium setting, I also started to notice that the blue led under the mode switch would blink from time to time when switching from max to moonlight mode, so of course I contacted the seller about my problems but to no help, he can not provide any warranty service since he is not a authorized reseller of the flashlight ( I live in the Philippines, and this guy would buy the lights from amazon and have them shipped here in bulk ) any way the issue was there but I could still use my flashlight... at least I thought so but the problem got worse, now my flashlight shuts off randomly while I use it would change mode randomly while used and would blink from time to time, or turn of for 2 sec and then turn back on, or turn of completely and I would have to press the mode switch and it would do the battery level check and then turn back on, this will also happen 80 % of the time when turning on the flashlight with the tailcap, the flashlight wont turn on unless I then press the mode switch and wait for the power check to finish, I've tried different batteries to rule that out and problem is still there.. has any one had same problems or any suggestions on what I can do ?

I haven't given up totally on Nitecore yet I was considering getting the SRT7 but I must say that I have started to look at other brands now after this problem occurred.

Thank you in advance for any help given in regards to this issue.

Ps. I have also tried to adjust the switch in the tail cap but that didn't help either.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's more Nitecore issue threads than all the rest put together. I've had a 100% failure rate with four Nitecores. A friend that bought a Nitecore against my better judgement has issues with his. Warranty service is sketchy too. I had sent two back for repair. One came back with the issue unresolved, the other was fixed...for two days.

They're junk IMO, and I will never buy another Nitecore.

Dan FO

Enlightened
It sounds like a complete cleaning with alcohol and a Q-Tip is in order, then a relube. Make sure the tail switch retaining ring is tight after that.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's more Nitecore issue threads than all the rest put together. I've had a 100% failure rate with four Nitecores. A friend that bought a Nitecore against my better judgement has issues with his. Warranty service is sketchy too. I had sent two back for repair. One came back with the issue unresolved, the other was fixed...for two days.

They're junk IMO, and I will never buy another Nitecore.

I have had several Nitecore lights over the years with not one issue. I have a 5 year old D20 that still works like the day I got it and an 5 year old Nitecore EZ CR2 on my keychain that has never had an issue. I also have some newer Nitecore lights, including the P12, IFE1, SRT3 and SRT7 that as of yet have given me any problems.

To the OP, try a complete cleaning and lube like Dan FO suggests and see if that fixes your problem. You can also try contacting Nitecore directly, and I am sure they will be willing to back up their product.

Last edited:

dlb92

Newly Enlightened
I am having the exact problem as the original poster.

Does anyone have a solution?

The light was not coming on at all but the paperclip trick worked. I tightened the ring and the light comes on but the light changes modes randomly. It is very frustrating. I've had it for a few years so I just want to know if it is fixable.