Who really likes clips on their lights ?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't have any "clipped" lights until I bought some ARC AAAs, and several SL TL series LEDs and Xenons. I have found I REALLY like this addition.

I've ordered clips for my Infinity Ultra-Gs, and will note whether other new lights have them or not.

I can't think of any negatives, they don't make the lights significantly larger, and it is nice to have the light secured so that I KNOW where it is.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a clip fan. They don't seem to work for me.

I took the clip off my SF L5 to make it more comfortable to hold. I added a lanyard which I often wear around my neck with the light in my shirt pocket. I love the L5/lanyard combination.

I tried to take the clip off my L4 but had to put it back because its absence caused issues with the front O ring. It's small enough it doesn't matter.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only on lights as small or smaller than an E2 the clip on the D3 and TL3 is a waist IMO.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Most of my lights have clips, but I find that they cause my pockets to fray, or the clip is too tight to fit around a belt (especially Surefire).

I much prefer carrying my lights in a holster or in a pocket with a lanyard.

However, this does not stop me from buying lights with clips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't mind not having clips on the larger lights (such as TurboHead models or the M6 / 10X / TigerLight) but my EDC must have a PocketClip. Otherwise I can not access it fast enough for it to be worth carrying. The E2e/L1/L4/A2 "short" PocketClip has been fantastic EDC for several years of daily carry.

Al

artar

Enlightened
works well for me. i carry my E2e like that :

DSC01770_S.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
artar,

Do you find it "rides" well at that point on the pocket?
I put mine up against the back edge of the pocket (far left as you look at the photo)

Thanks

Al

Geode

Enlightened
I am a huge fan of clips and look forward to the Arc LS4 having the clip feature.

Flashlights get clipped to jacket as well as pants or vest pickets, so even larger lights (Streamlight TL3) with clips are a plus. All the clipped lights I own have removable clips, so I assume not all people like the clip feature. Having the option of clip or no clip is definitely the way to go.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I find longer clips more secure. L4 with M2 clip in L front pocket, TL-2 clipped to address book in R rear pocket.

Brightnorm

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The short L4 clip works well for me. It keeps it attached to the flashlight loop on my CO-73 holster and in a more casual carry, I clip it across the rear-center belt loop and it stays there nice and balanced and facilitates an easy, quick draw.

Wilkey

jtice

Flashaholic
I love clips, and wear them as Size15s does.
I like how it can keep my main, clipped light up high in my pocket, so its not touching my secondary light thats in the bottom of my pocket. (Arc AA)

artar

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
artar,

Do you find it "rides" well at that point on the pocket?
I put mine up against the back edge of the pocket (far left as you look at the photo)

Thanks

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

On this kind of pants (diesel cheyenne jeans) i think this is the best position to carry (head more in the middle, body down left).

Sometimes I carry the E2e more then 14 hours a day like that.
Sits very comfortable and secure.

It does not attract attention, sometimes i also forget that i have this light on me.

torment

Newly Enlightened
My dad took the clip off his ARC AAA so he could put it on his keyring without the extra stuff. I use the clip on my L4 all the time.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
large lights --> no clip needed, won't work anyway
mid-sized ights: clip might come in handy, especially with good clips like SF
keychain: no clips needed, especially when bad quality like the AAA clip
penlights: clip is a must, such a light cannot exist without one
bernhard

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, another use for a clip. My wife informed me the upstairs hall potty was on the blink. Didn't have a good light above the back bowl.

My 3C Propolymer has a BIG clip on it. I just popped it on the pottie side. Job done quickly.

I was trying to get rid of that light, might keep it now.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, I use a pouch, but away from there, the clip on my E2e/L4 is indispensable. I recently clipped it to the brim of my cap for the first time, and found another handy use for it.
Same for the clip on the E1e, which allows it to ride securely inside a belt loop, as long as I'm wearing a belt. That works for the 2 cell body as well, but isn't nearly as inconspicuous.
I think I would like the clip even on bigger lights like the D3, too, since I can comfortably carry a Z3 in a front pocket of my jeans (but the "combat grip" interferes with withdrawal).
Wouldn't want one on a smaller light, particularly one used for keychain carry, unless it was being carried in a shirt pocket, or inside pocket of a jacket.
I generally carry the L4 clipped in the left pocket, all the way back against the seam, and can quickly access it with either hand. A knife takes that place on the right side.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Another good use of a pocketclip is to clip it to a baseball cap for a make-shift headlight. The E1e+KL4 works well for this I've found.

My Pelican Super SabreLite has a large clip on it. I'm not sure what it's for since it's large but not especially strong - I guess for firefighters or similar thick jacket users?

Al

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
Any light that I actually carry with me will necessarily be small and I just drop it into a pocket. A clip just hangs up and once the light is in my hand makes it less comfortable to hold. Larger lights reside in a drawer or on a shelf and the clip is clearly redundant (but still a cause of carrying discomfort). If it is possible to do so I remove all clips from my flashlights. I might add I do the same with my pocketknives where a clip plague is also spreading.
Terry