NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Arc-2 HID

Default Re: Surefire Arc-2 HID

That's why he has 2 batteries, he bought an extra spare.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    That's why he has 2 batteries, he bought an extra spare.
    Doesnt everyone always buy a Backup/Spare Battery when purchasing a new light? Always been a no brainer to me..
    Surefire Hellfighter-5 Surefire Arc2-8C, LeMax LX70 Superpower,Lupine Betty TL2, Lupine Piko TL, Lupine Betty R14, Lupine Betty6, Lupine Piko2

Quote Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
    Doesnt everyone always buy a Backup/Spare Battery when purchasing a new light? Always been a no brainer to me..
    That's an interesting thought process. Most people don't buy $2,600.00 dollar searchlights, and $1,300.00 spare batteries.
    But with infinite cash laying around "what the heck". A spare bulb makes more sense to me than a battery. But I don't know what bulb they are using, likely either a D2S or D1S off the shelf bulb, likely 35 watt rating since they are only pushing it to 45 watts and a true 50 watt bulb would likely be 4 to 5X the cost to them. The bulb has basically an infinite shelf life.

No "most" do not, it depends if its a "toy" or a "tool" for the buyer and how much run time is needed. At $1,300 a pop, I bet 80 to 90% won't buy a spare. You need to maintain batteries, they don't have infinite shelf life.
    You need to not let its charge drop very low when not in use possibly for months or years. I would say maybe 1/3rd of buyers, buy a spare battery. That's often because a discount is offered on the spare compared with the normal price if purchased separately. A better price is offered when you buy a 2nd battery with the light purchase.

Default How Arc2 is packed

When you buy as a kit, this is how it is sent out from Surefire. I am very happy with the quality of the packing,however was wanting a pretty fancied up box.

http://www.pbase.com/image/160897049
    Surefire Hellfighter-5 Surefire Arc2-8C, LeMax LX70 Superpower,Lupine Betty TL2, Lupine Piko TL, Lupine Betty R14, Lupine Betty6, Lupine Piko2

Default Re: How Arc2 is packed

I really don't care about the box, I want to see beam shots, preferably with known distances. Please! Pretty Please!
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    I really don't care about the box, I want to see beam shots, preferably with known distances. Please! Pretty Please!
    I highly doubt i would ever be doing any beam shots as thats great fodder to compare it to a $125.00 Stanly HID.. I can tell you that i have had it out several times and it feels like it touches the moon.. You will have to wait until one of the "BEAM SHOT" Pros do there review. Are you planning on buying one yourself..?

I highly doubt we will see a "pro review" anytime soon... come on post some beam shots... Take the pics with your phone in a decent distance, we all want to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by richardcpf View Post
    I highly doubt we will see a "pro review" anytime soon... come on post some beam shots... Take the pics with your phone in a decent distance, we all want to see it!
    I dont think a picture of this flame throwers beam would prove anything but someone with a Wallies Special HID saying it blows the Arc2 out of the water.. I been down this same road on a camera forum with guys having $12,000.00 Lenses and you get someone with there Point and Shoot claiming how the picture of his is 10 times better...

http://www.pbase.com/image/160930696

Update on recent purchase of the Surefire Arc2-8C Outfit. I have managed to charge up this unit with a 10AMP power converter after putting a fan on the converter for cooling as it kept kicking out for overheating. This is quite a big and robust unit and not sure why it would keep overheating as i charged up the searchlight. I did draw some attention early this morning about 430am walking around with it outside. There was several cars that slowed down to see what i was doing.. So far I am quite please, just bugged it did not come in a fancy box like the rest of the surefire lights do..

Anyone else here in candlepower forum land snag one of these new Surefire Arc Lights..? I see the Arc3 is on the market too as of yesterday..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mbly_with.html B&H Just received more of the Surefire Arc28C Kits if anyone is looking to snag one..

Quote Originally Posted by richardcpf View Post
    I guess inside the battery pack there are 8x18650 in 4S2P configuration. Surefire is not known for using the lastest tech so I expect the batteries to be 2600mAh at best. This light comes without a AC charger and it makes sense, the primary use for this light is for vehicles, not to keep at home like a regular flashlight.

I really like how it looks, but 80 minutes runtime is a way too short. For the price of the battery pack they've done so much better, even for SF standards. A decent battery pack could do ~100Wh, providing this beast more than 120 minutes of runtime.
    I can't believe the battery capacity could be that low, even Polarion uses a 4400mAh battery on their PH40 and they also get 80 minutes, so this battery must be in the same approximate 4400mAh capacity, or maybe even slightly higher.

The standard battery (same) on both of the XeVision XeRay lights is 8500 mAh. It's good for 200 minutes at 35 Watts output, 140 minutes at 50 watts and 100 minutes at 70 output watts.

A larger capacity battery (Heavier) and or a longer battery / handle would help the ARC-2 with hand carry balance point ergonomics, the head is so very heavy.
    Last edited by XeRay; 08-13-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Flashaholic*

I can't believe the battery capacity could be that low, even Polarion uses a 4400mAh battery on their PH40 and they also get 80 minutes, so this battery must be in the same approximate 4400mAh capacity, or maybe even slightly higher.

The standard battery (same) on both of the XeVision XeRay lights is 8500 mAh. It's good for 200 minutes at 35 Watts output, 140 minutes at 50 watts and 100 minutes at 70 output watts.

A larger capacity battery (Heavier) and or a longer battery / handle would help the ARC-2 with hand carry balance point ergonomics, the head is so very heavy.
    don't be so certain. although its a LED light, the new dominator's battery pack is 7.4v and only 2200mah. in a light that also takes 12 CR123's I might add.

He's referring to the capacity of each cell. So if the Polarion is using 8 x 18650 it would be using 2200mAh cells in 4s2p configuration giving 14.4V 4400mAh which is consistent given the age of the Polarion.

Even the recently released Surefire P1R is only using a 2600mAh 18650.

I dont know how many B&H get in on a order but they are now Out OF Stock again on the Surefire Arc2-8C Searchlight for the 2nd time. Still no reviews from ny of the pro's yet on this marvelous light.

Can someone give me a few pointers on BEAM SHOTS..? I have a very good 35MM SLR and just need some guiding...Since know one yet has done anything yet on this lovely Arc2 Surefire, I will attempt to..

Can someone give me a few pointers on BEAM SHOTS..? I have a very good 35MM SLR and just need some guiding...Since know one yet has done anything yet on this lovely Arc2 Surefire, I will attempt to..
    Look in Flashlight Reviews for Selfbuilt's review of the TM16. He shows the exposure settings he uses for the various shots. They would be a good place to start.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

The technique is the same as any other night photography really.

You'll need a steady tripod for the camera and a way of keeping the flashlight reasonably steady during the exposure. To trigger the shutter, you can use a cable release or a remote, or you can just set the self-timer for a 2s delay to avoid camera shake.

Set the camera to it's base ISO, usually ISO 100 or 200, to ensure lowest possible noise and high dynamic range.

The aperture should not be too wide e.g. f1.4 as this will give you lower image quality and you may not get enough depth of field. The aperture shouldn't be too narrow either e.g. f16 as you don't want to be waiting forever for your exposure. f2-5.6 is ideal depending on light levels and how good your lens is.

Use your camera's built in light meter to determine the shutter speed for the first shot and bracket exposures accordingly. You can use the histogram to assess the exposure. You may need to use bulb shutter mode if you need shutter speeds greater than 30s.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 09-21-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Disappointing that SF sent this out in a cardboard box!

My Beast II came in a custom Pelican case with aluminum interior and built in charger.
    Last edited by seery; 09-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    Disappointing that SF sent this out in a cardboard box!

My Beast II came in a custom Pelican case with aluminum interior and built in charger.
    Yes I was also quite disapointed to say the least, however I am still quite content with the Light itself..

What?? No beam shot comparisons?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    What?? No beam shot comparisons?
    Was waiting for the pro beam shotters to start posting a few but not seen any myself yet..

Battery Life and proper care. I have a couple questions about maintaining healthy batteries for my Arc2..? I have used the light several time now just messing around with it and have about 65% fuel yet left in it. My questions is..? Does it hurt letting it set like this or should it be kept at full charge? Thoughts and comments much appreciated..

50% charge is best if you want to store a Li-Ion battery. Storing a battery fully charged (cell_voltage_without_load >= 4V) and especially fully discharged is bad for the battery. High temperatures during storage are also bad. Li-Ion batteries constantly "decay" (i.e. lose capacity). Storing them under good conditions and never fully charging and discharging them reduces the rate of decay to almost zero. This is how Tesla achieves thousands of charge cycles with the batteries in their cars and also why cell phone batteries wear out in 1-3 years.

The question really is: how often do you need the light? How ready does it need to be (i.e. does it need to always be fully charged)? The more you take care of the batteries, the more impractical everything becomes.
    Last edited by The_Driver; 11-10-2015 at 08:14 AM.

I like all the Lithium chemistries but have never liked the fact that storing my LiIon and LiPoly battery lights at full charge (they need to be ready to use, right?) tends to shorten their lives as mentioned above. That's why, whenever I can, I convert to Lithium Iron cells. Storing them at full charge for very long periods of time does not shorten their lives. But where I can't, I just live with the shortened life. What good is a flashlight if you can't grab it and go and get full run time out of it.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    50% charge is best if you want to store a Li-Ion battery. Storing a battery fully charged (cell_voltage_without_load >= 4V) and especially fully discharged is bad for the battery. High temperatures during storage are also bad. Li-Ion batteries constantly "decay" (i.e. lose capacity). Storing them under good conditions and never fully charging and discharging them reduces the rate of decay to almost zero. This is how Tesla achieves thousands of charge cycles with the batteries in their cars and also why cell phone batteries wear out in 1-3 years.

The question really is: how often do you need the light? How ready does it need to be (i.e. does it need to always be fully charged)? The more you take care of the batteries, the more impractical everything becomes.
    I hardly ever use it as it is still on its very first charge since i bought it back a few months ago. I am at about 65% now. So say I use it and run it down to less then 10% then only recharge it back to about 50%..? Am I ruining the battery while doing this..?

I hardly ever use it as it is still on its very first charge since i bought it back a few months ago. I am at about 65% now. So say I use it and run it down to less then 10% then only recharge it back to about 50%..? Am I ruining the battery while doing this..?
    Well "ruining" it sounds a bit harsh. How long will this take? If you really need months to discharge half of the battery once (!) then I would suggest charging it to 80% and discharging no lower than say 20%. Long periods of storage at very low and very high voltages are the bad thing.
    Last edited by The_Driver; 12-01-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Has anyone got there hands on one of these bad boys yet? I see B&H has them on the website but not in stock..

Flashaholic*

I've got a Hellfighter 4, but no 5, yet.

The Hellfighter 4 is much cooler in color temperature than the original Hellfire/Hellfighter is in addition to having a tighter beam pattern and the internal battery pack.

I'd like the higher output of the Hellfighter 5, but I don't need another Hellfighter. I've got a few too many right now, and will be thinning the herd after Christmas.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast