Advice on Cummings 7 x 12 lathe

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found a used Cummings 7 x 12 lathe for $300. It has some rust on it and the seller said that it is surface rust. I am adding a picture.

Does this look like a good deal?

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be worried about some surface rust. The thing to look for is of it runs true, or true enough for what you want to do. Is the motor in good shape? Does the head function well? Do you have a dedicated power line that will feed it?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, change of plans. It look like I might have scored a 7 x 10 for $225 that has only been used for 20 hours.

I know it is a smaller lathe but it is in much better shape and I am sure I will be able to recoup my money if I ever decide to sell it and upgrade.

If anyone is in Georgia and interested in the lathe above PM me.

TexLite

Enlightened
Your probably better off with the 7x10. Has the same swing, your really only losing a couple of inches of length, which if this is for flashlight stuff your gonna run into shortcomings with the bore size before you have an issue with length, that was my experience with my 7x12 anyway.

The rust on the chucks of the 7x12's not really an issue, it doesn't look like its on the jaw faces where it would affect clearances, but the ways look pretty rough from the pic. Seemed a little high to me, but it did have a quick change tool post.

You'll find tons of uses for it, mines one of the more used tools in my shop, congrats on the score.

-Michael