HDS Clicky XP-L.

bansuri

Enlightened
Put a 5700k 2d (or 2C?) in my 200 Acme Clicky, reflows easy, nice match for the reflector. It's what you'd get from an XM-L mod, big hotspot, wall-of-light.
I've got a 5000k on the way, will swap that and see if the tint is a little easier to live with.
Anyway, it's equal to or maybe a bit brighter than my new SC62d which claims 320 lumens. Included an iphone shot, both on high, pointed at the ceiling from seated position. Maybe 6'.
The phone shot doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a general idea. Too much tint variation in the 5700, high hopes for the 5000k or else I'll just put a 219 in it.
In person the HDS is mainly cool, with the tint ring around the hotspot, actual tint is not captured well in the photo.

Summary: a useful mod, ekes quite a few more lumens out of an HDS. Larger hotspot. XM-L style tint variation across beam. (at least in the 5700k. Fingers crossed for 5000k)
Here's my walk-through, I've seen some that are better articulated since then, too busy to look for them.

Shot before soldering contacts.
1jrz3m.jpg

HDS on left, SC62d on right. Tint not accurate. Will replace with picture from a real camera if I can get it to capture more realistic comparison.
jzzi4g.jpg

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be interested to here your thoughts on the 5000k. My thoughts are the same as yours on the 5700k, I have that same emitter but in a different light. Looking for something different to put in one of my clickys and have been thinking about the XPL 5000k although a 4500k would be ideal if I can locate one. Great work!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a couple of Novatacs with the XP-L. The 5700k is as you describe, the 4000k is better without the noticeable color ring around the hotspot. I have not experience with the 5000k yet.