Malkoff MDC - The “Poor Man's Haiku” - Another Ideal EDC

nbp

Flashaholic
Malkoff MDC - The "Poor Man's Haiku" - Another Ideal EDC

As many know, I have been a tireless proponent of the McGizmo Haiku since mid 2011 when I first got mine. I love the Haiku in all its iterations! Frankly, I don't think Don (McGizmo) can make a bad light, but I digress. Ever in the search of the perfect EDC, I settled on the Haiku and I still think that it is as close to perfect as I have come in my travels through flashaholism since about 2007 when I joined CPF. If you are interested in reading my thoughts on the Haiku, you can read my review here.

However, when suggesting the Haiku to others I am often met with criticism. "Yeah sure, I bet it is great, but at $400+ I won't be trying one anytime soon." I have heard more than one member say they wish that Don would offer aluminum versions of his lights so people could experience them without the same cash outlay.

Fortunately, I have a solution! As I have continued my search for additional Made in USA high end and Custom EDC lights, I have found a fantastic light made by another one of CPF's finest - Gene Malkoff. Although many people are familiar with Gene's dropins, I don't see so much discussion of the MDC outside of the main MDC thread. But the Malkoff MDC is a super light that needs more attention! I'd like to talk a little bit about why I feel the MDC is a very comparable alternative to the Haiku, even sharing some genetic material with the McGizmo, and available at about 1/4 the price. Interested in the Haiku experience but on a budget? Consider the MDC.

The MDC alongside a few of my favorite EDC lights. A worthy addition!

2014-02-18162927_zps86c62701.jpg

Modularity:

One of the great things about Don's lights is the modularity they afford. Different heads, bodies, and converters are available, and his lights are cross compatible, as well as compatible with SureFire E-series lights and with other Custom components built to work off that platform.

Well, the MDC series is similarly modular! Gene offers AA and CR123 bodies and heads designed to work on AA, CR123, or li-ion rechargeables with several different options as to output and modes. Cool right? Plus, MDC parts are similarly E-series compatible. If you want to put your MDC head on an E1L body or a Ti McGizmo clicky pak, you can!! Some members have come up with some pretty neat Legos using Malkoff parts, even altering the UI by combining MDC heads with alternative switching mechanisms. I have been using a Lego of a McGizmo Pak with an MDC head and I really like it.

2014-08-04200632_zpsd650f39a.jpg

2014-08-04200747_zpsbb429f59.jpg

McClicky Switch:

Remember how I said that the MDC shared genetic material with the Haiku? One of the ways is in the McClicky switch used in the MDC and designed by Don. Gene has been using McClickies for years as I recall, and they are widely known around the forum as one of the most reliable and toughest aftermarket Clicky switches around. They are excellent and responsive switches, and they are easy to remove and replace if somehow you wear one out. A dash of Don in the tail of this light and it's a beautiful thing. In McGizmoan style it is sealed in with an o-ring to keep out the elements and make this light ready for action in whatever conditions you throw at it.

2014-08-04200451_zps189e42a9.jpg

User Interface:

Gene offers a couple of mode systems, including single mode, Tac modes starting at High, and a standard EDC starting at Low. I am speaking primarily about the standard Low-Med-High in this review.

Gene describes the UI as follows: The mode will advance each time the light is momentarily activated and the switch debounce time has passed. If the light is left on for more than 2 seconds, the next off/on cycle will return the light to low. If the light is not left on for 2 seconds the next off/on cycle will advance the mode. In most normal use, the light will always come on in LowLow.

So, basically, quick taps on the switch will cycle through the modes, a hard press latches on. After turning it off and back on, it will start again in Low, and cycle through Low-Med-High. This is very similar to the 3S converters Don uses in his lights, including of course the Haiku. Don too uses a well spaced 3 mode progression, Low-Med-High, except Don's lights have a memory mode. While I don't mind that, I actually really like that the MDC starts over in Low mode each time I turn it OFF/ON. In fact, I may actually prefer that, as I never forget what mode I am in, and I can simply tap through to the mode I want. A simple three mode light is definitely satisfactory for most EDC purposes and is oh so simple to operate. And for me, the 3 speeds of the MDC CR123 at 3/25/250 lumens are just about PERFECT. I love the UI and mode spacing on this little machine.

Ergonomics:

The MDC is very comparable to the Haiku in size, shape and ergonomics, especially since both can be had with either a CR123 or AA battery compartments. I find the MDC to be quite comfortable to hold, though a little more slippery than the Haiku. The ribs in the Ti on the Haiku as well as the fins on the head offer a lot of purchase on the light, even when wet. The MDC does not have knurling or ribs as such on either the body or head, and its anodized aluminum body is a bit slicker. I personally don't mind it too much as it's gentler on my pockets, but if you work in wet, muddy, bloody or gooey environments, you might want to try legoing the head with a SureFire E-series body with some knurling. Legos FTW!! Also, this is why I am working with the McMalkoff lego I showed above.

2014-08-04200418_zps369c9fa6.jpg

Pocket Clip:

Clips are a must for me for EDC lights. When it comes to Don's lights, I think he has the freakin' awesomest clip ever made. IMHO. The clip is my single biggest quibble with the MDC. It's OK, but it's not awesome. At least it is there and it faces the right direction though, which is more than many manufacturers can say!! I like that it is a true deep carry, and dives low in the pocket, especially in dress pants, but it is skinny. It's kind of hard to get onto my pocket edge sometime and it doesn't clamp in place quite like Don's does. I'm sure this is a non issue for most people but I am a clip snob and I just plain love the McGizmo clip.

2014-02-18162731_zps49f6d688.jpg

p1000871x.jpg

Beam Quality:

The beam quality on the MDC is excellent, as it features another bit of DNA from McGizmo, the reflector. Once again, I believe Gene has been using McRs for many years, but it is another great example of his using the best quality components for the job. Don has been designing reflectors for years and is known for excellent quality beam patterns in his own lights. The MDC is no exception. The combination of the XP-G2 with Don's reflector serves up a plate of "punchy flood" that suits me very well, and is very comparable to the Haiku. It has plenty of throw for most applications with a generous hotspot and considerable spill. Yummy! The transition is pretty smooth and devoid of irritating rings or artifacts. For me, these lights share a similar beam that is basically ideal for EDC purposes. I like the throw of a TIR on occasion, or the perfect flood of my Mule indoors, but when you need one light for general usage throughout a day, an XP-G/2 with a McR selected for it gives the perfect blend of spot and flood.

2014-02-18175311_zpsad12a49a.jpg

Output/Runtime:

One of the nice things about McGizmo's lights is that he is moderate in selecting drive levels so as to give a nice blend of adequate output as well as runtime, and heatsinks the lights well to allow the lights to be run for extended periods on high without damage. While some of Gene's lights are higher output, the MDC is fairly moderately driven to give at least an hour on high and many hours on the lower modes, and well heatsinked with a brass pill screwed into the head for good dissipation. I have run the MDC on high for extended periods and while it gets warm, I have not found it to get too hot where it is uncomfortable to hold.

Personally, I don't really see the need for 1000 lumen EDC lights. I don't ever need that much light and usually runtime suffers or you need a big battery to power it, both of which make a light subpar for EDC in my opinion. I like the output ranges chosen by both Don and Gene and they are very comparable. If you like lower output for your daily tasks and have a use for a sub lumen level, the AA variant of the MDC has a very functional range of 0.3 lumens/9 lumens/115 lumens on the three modes with runtimes of 200+hrs/18+hrs/1hr. The CR123 version, which I have, has 3 lumens/25 lumens/250 lumens modes with runtimes of 100hrs/20hrs/1hr. For me these modes are great. I have designated low level lights for night time prowling, so the modes on the MDC are excellent for general EDC. 3 lumens may be just right for a dark closet or reading a menu at a restaurant, while 250 lumens is more than enough for scoping out the property at night or going for a walk. Meanwhile, the runtime is ample so I am not burning through cells all the time.

One of the nice things about the MDC is that the required voltage is 1-3v, so it is really a battery vampire!! It will drain the battery down to nothing. When the battery gets too low to power high mode, it still will turn on and run in a lower mode to get you to safety. I even put a McGizmo AA Pak on my CR123 MDC head and ran it on an Eneloop as an experiement. I lost High, but I still had light!

Durability/Reliability:

One thing McGizmo has always been recognized for is his dedication to reliability in his lights. You can read stories of them surviving all sorts of catastrophe, including jungle expeditions and motorcycle accidents. That is what drew me to McGizmo, after having some disappointing experiences with other lights: his impeccable record for durable and reliable lights. Gene likewise has made it his aim to offer the most reliable lighting tools possible. His name is synonymous with quality and commitment to post-purchase customer service on this forum and his products are trusted by LEO, military and others who demand dependability.

The MDC is certainly a rugged and reliable light! I have not had the chance to submit mine to too much abuse yet, but I am confident it will take it handily. I think that when compared to the Haiku, the only demerit in the area of durability will be its aluminum shell vs. the Haiku's titanium shell. Now, the aluminum is what is allowing us to get this light at a fraction of the cost, so we will not complain about that, but the reality is that the aluminum will not take quite as much abuse as Ti will without dings, dents and deformation. Will it likely take anything you survive? Most likely. The MDC's beautifully machined body and head are thick and sturdy. On the flip side, the MDC does have one significant advantage and that is full potting. McGizmo does not pot his electronics in epoxy as he likes to leave them open for modding and service and make it easy to swap light engines between lights. Gene is going for maximum protection when used with a weapon or in other high impact situations. So, as you look in the head you can see the fully potted electronics. This also is an advantage in the event the light is flooded. But you cannot mod it. So, I would give these lights nearly equal marks in reliability.

2014-08-04200554_zps02b86efb.jpg

SO…the end of the matter is that I feel the MDC is a very comparable light to the Haiku in many ways. Its form factor, modularity, switching mechanism, UI and mode availability, durability, output and beam pattern all follow the Haiku very closely. The main differences are going to be in the body of the light, in both material and hand-feel. There is no doubt that when you hold a Haiku, you know you are holding something exceptional in your hand. A precision made tool, executed to the brink of perfection. There is nothing quite like McGizmos, except perhaps a few other Ti Customs from our esteemed builders. But the MDC is a very respectable light with outstanding build quality and gives a very similar functionality at just ¼ of the price. For that, I think it is a slam dunk! I think it is an excellent EDC light and definitely deserves more discussion than it has been given so far. Rock on Gene, the MDC is awesome and will be finding its way into my pocket a lot!

rickyro

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review and comparison! I really love the sharing of reflector and click design.

But I have some concerns:
1. MDC's lack of polarity protection worries me. I wish Gene can upgrade the design to address this issue.

2. I think the clip needs to be redesigned. Totally in the way of Mcgizmo or Zebralight SC52. The screws should not be disposed and can be seen from the tail side. And the clip should not protrude.

3. The design of the body should be refined to have better grip.

4. Malkoff should provide LED options, especially with HCRI option.

5. Battery compatibility and resulted level spaces. Now it is quite confusing since the light levels on AA and 123 batteries are different. MDC AA can use 14500 in the beginning, but not now. And even if yes, I think the light levels will be much different, which is not good in my opinion. SC52 will display the same light levels with NiMH or 14500, except the highest burst. I think I like the lowlow in MDC AA more since it is perfect for a bedside light.

6. They should have a dealer within EU.

If all these can be addressed, I think I will take one.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thoughtful comparison with and excellent pictures nbp! The similarities between the MDC and Haiku should not go unnoticed.

I have always wanted an MDC and feel that it is a great EDC light for the price--for some people. The lack of a model that is compatible with both primary cells and Li-Ion cells keeps me from buying one.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've owed a few different models of MDC, which I have since sold. My perfect MDC would be AA 4 level starting on Hi, Med, Low, Moonlight and as already mentioned reverse polarity protection.

Norm

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread. I love my Haiku(s), too. I use them as tools (i.e. I don't abuse them, but they get dirty, dropped or dinged). But sometimes I want something a little less dear to drop in my knapsack in case I lose it or it gets stolen. I have an MDC and it is perfect for this. I have the li-ion version and the modes are well spaced and the output is great. As you noted, the McGizmo DNA means the clicky works like a charm and the beam is wonderful. And the MDC also has Malkoff DNA: very, very robust. The MDC has evolved over time and there are/were different versions. I'm waiting for the neutral version and the AA to get back in stock (the timing has to aligned with a trip to US because Gene only uses high cost shipping to Europe for good reasons). I have 2 other "poor man's Haikus", an MD1 (by Martin D White) and VME on a Vital Gear FBI (which unfortunately doesn't use the McClicky). The combination of McGizmo and Malkoff DNA is great!

image.jpg

I like the MD1 with a slimmer tail:
image.jpg

What I like about these lights, including the Haiku, is the full size beam, great clicky in a pocket sized light. That is what is special about them and it is due to McGizmo DNA.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent writeup! :thumbsup:

I have an EDC AA host with the VME head, and it is becoming one of my favorite "go to" lights.

DQD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great writeup, nbp!

I bought one of the newer, 1xAA MDCs a few weeks ago because I was tired of having durability/reliability problems with my lights, and I wanted to support a business based on quality products, integrity, and great customer service. I haven't been disappointed! The MDC HA 1AA looks and feels solid, and the beam quality is very nice for all-around use. The output on high also seems higher than the specified 115 lumens. I don't know if that perception is because of the excellent beam profile, or if it is just rated conservatively.

Excellent writeup! :thumbsup:

I have an EDC AA host with the VME head, and it is becoming one of my favorite "go to" lights.

Which dropin(s) do you use with the VME head?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write-up.... I own 2 MDC AAs, very nice lights - works of art really. And thank you very much for the compare/contrast to the Haiku, I've been back and forth with getting one of them (AA engine), but now I think I'll pass ;). I like the MDC a lot, it's one of the few lights I bought multiple copies of, but there are some issues that move other lights ahead of it for EDC......for me.

But I'll throw in my contribution to the MDC love fest and say that Gene's 0.3 moonlight mode (which I believe to be his first?) was the most efficient on a lumen-hours (lms x hrs) basis in my side-by-side "bright" moonlight runtime test (@ 60F). It wasn't even close..... and it kicked the living crap of the braggart light claiming to be 2.5x as efficient. ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the kind words Guys, I appreciate it, and I am very happy you liked my review. :) I hope that my comments, along with yours, will help motivate people to support Gene and his products, as they are outstanding.

I understand the MDC is not ideal for everyone, but I think for many people it really is a very suitable EDC, and one you can really feel good about carrying.

Likewise, the Malkoffs are constantly updating and improving, so perhaps they will even get some good ideas for the MDC's evolution from our discussion.

@Reppans - I will have to take a look at your moonlight mode comparison more carefully, I don't recall if I read that one yet, but it looks informative!

Lighteous

Enlightened
Great review! Along with 4 other Malkoff lights, I own two MDC's, the AA and RCR123 versions. Both are excellent lights, although I would prefer a lower low.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NBP-

I have only been a member since last year. When I started researching CPF, it was your articles on both the Haiku and the tri-edc that really stood out. You are an excellent reviewer, and it is very obvious that you have a passion for our hobby.

This is yet again another well written piece!

Cheers and thanks for some fine writing.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice write up and review. We share the same opinion about the Mcgizmo and MDC lights. Gene has done a great job with these lights offering a variety to try and suit most needs. I'm partial to the neutral version but both the cool and neutral have very clean artifact free beams. In my option they are a steal for the quality you get compared to some of the other junk being sold at the same price. I'm still hopeful for a 219b version, he has offered it in a drop in so maybe the MDC will get it's chance also.

nbp

Flashaholic
NBP-

I have only been a member since last year. When I started researching CPF, it was your articles on both the Haiku and the tri-edc that really stood out. You are an excellent reviewer, and it is very obvious that you have a passion for our hobby.

This is yet again another well written piece!

Cheers and thanks for some fine writing.

Gosh, now you're making me blush. :eek: Hahaha. Thanks for the kind words! I know I don't have fancy widgets to measure all kinds of stuff like selfbuilt or these other guys, so my reviews are less "data based" but I think I can present a fair description of what it is like to actually USE a light, and that is always what I like hearing most from others as well. So that is hopefully what I have been able to convey in this review also.

What is more, I find that the higher end lights do not get so much attention when it comes to reviews as the flavor of the month lights. I think people just assume everyone knows they are great and don't feel the need to write about them. But why should guys like Don and Mac and Gene not have reviews of their lights too? These innovators and creators deserve all the support we can give them.

Very nice write up and review. We share the same opinion about the Mcgizmo and MDC lights. Gene has done a great job with these lights offering a variety to try and suit most needs. I'm partial to the neutral version but both the cool and neutral have very clean artifact free beams. In my option they are a steal for the quality you get compared to some of the other junk being sold at the same price. I'm still hopeful for a 219b version, he has offered it in a drop in so maybe the MDC will get it's chance also.

I could not agree more! This is a heck of a good light for $99! And a 219 version would be a must buy for me. :naughty:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the multi-level MDCs do use PWM. Some lights exhibit louder whine than others, with mine only being audible when the light is pressed against my ear.

If someone isn't happy with the amount of whine their light emits, I'm certain Gene will provide options for either a refund or exchange.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the multi-level MDCs do use PWM. Some lights exhibit louder whine than others, with mine only being audible when the light is pressed against my ear.

If someone isn't happy with the amount of whine their light emits, I'm certain Gene will provide options for either a refund or exchange.

Thanks for the answer. The noise can indeed be annoying but my biggest concern about pwm is the frequency that Gene uses. I'm ''allergic'' to the strobe effect PWM produce. Even the 4/7 Mini that is apparently undetectable bothers me a lot.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer. The noise can indeed be annoying but my biggest concern about pwm is the frequency that Gene uses. I'm ''allergic'' to the strobe effect PWM produce. Even the 4/7 Mini that is apparently undetectable bothers me a lot.

Not sure which battery type you're looking at, but if AA, then MDC, QPA-X, Mini MA.... sorry: clicky

I too can see HF PWM in normal use, and although it doesn't bother much, it constantly catches my eye, which I find mildly distracting. Personally, Gene's light gets a pass from me for being so efficient on ML mode :).