Fenix pd35 2014 and old version Help

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
So I got the pd35 2014 just to see that 110 lumen boost. Now I don't know if its just to the eye but the older pd35 looked brighter than the new one that claims to be 110 lumens brighter. Im not sure if its because of the color or the led or what but off the bat cant really tell. As of right now I like the older version better. Any one else try this or see what I'm seeing why would the older version look brighter. I tried it in the house backyard and in a large field.
20140809_202206.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

Last edited:

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the "old" PD35 a week before the 2014 was released and was able to compare both before I returned the former. I was not able to see a difference in brightness or tint. From what I understand the human eye can't tell the difference of 100 lumens but I kept the 2014 just for the longer claimed run times.

TheVat26

Enlightened
Even if they were both at full power, I don't see how you'd tell the difference. Plus the "old" PD35 put out 900-1000 lumens anyway (multiple reviewers have advised).

Peace Train

Enlightened
Have you noticed whether there's a difference in tints? I wouldn't say your mind's playing tricks on you, just a hunch that the older PD35 may be more favorable to your eye like a worn pair of gloves. QC among lights in different runs can play a role here too.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is always difficult to see much difference no matter what light you are using.The latest offering is for posers who just to have the few extra lumens to impress there friends or bother there neighbours,imo i would not be buying the 2014 edition as i am perfectly happy with the one i bought,would rather spend the money on something else.

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
So I got the pd35 2014 just to see that 110 lumen boost. Now I don't know if its just to the eye but the older pd35 looked brighter than the new one that claims to be 110 lumens brighter. Im not sure if its because of the color or the led or what but off the bat cant really tell. As of right now I like the older version better. Any one else try this or see what I'm seeing why would the older version look brighter. I tried it in the house backyard and in a large field.

Where did you buy this? How much did it cost? I'm interested to know if there will be a noticeable difference between the two, please do some more testing and report.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a lightbox and there's no way I could visually detect the difference between 960 and 850 and the slightest difference in tint or reflectors (shape or orange peel) might even make it look reverse. If you believe in the logarithmic square/square root light perception thing (ie, it takes 4x the lumens to appear 2x as bright), which I do, then 960/850=1.13 (13% more) and 1.13^0.5=1.06, or a 13% lumen increase would appear ~6% brighter to our eyes - that's pretty immaterial.

If you have smartphone, you could download a free light meter app for crude objective measurements using an ambient bounce sampling method (or get a $5 hardware store "light box"). I think that would be able to distinguish the difference.

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
I use a lightbox and there's no way I could visually detect the difference between 960 and 850 and the slightest difference in tint or reflectors (shape or orange peel) might even make it look reverse. If you believe in the logarithmic square/square root light perception thing (ie, it takes 4x the lumens to appear 2x as bright), which I do, then 960/850=1.13 (13% more) and 1.13^0.5=1.06, or a 13% lumen increase would appear ~6% brighter to our eyes - that's pretty immaterial.

If you have smartphone, you could download a free light meter app for crude objective measurements using an ambient bounce sampling method (or get a $5 hardware store "light box"). I think that would be able to distinguish the difference.

Well.... I guess there's not much chance my recently acquired and now "old" PD35 will appear outgunned by the new 2014 model. Where do you think they will take this for 2015? Hard to imagine much more power out a light this size and on a single 18650.

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
I've only seen some poor/incomplete pictures of the new light online. Is the new one actually marked 2014 on the body? If not how will we tell the new one from the old one?

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
Yea I may be over thinking it. I do notice the 2014 version is a cool color blueish tint. I think my eye or me personally may be drawn to the more natural color of the old version. As for telling the difference there is none no markings nothing which I don't like at all. They should have added something what I did was I put the lanyard on the old version so I could tell. I will try and take some shots to compare if it shows up good in a picture. Thanks for the input so far

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
Okay tried to add some pics you tell me if you can see a difference left or right which do you think is brighter

hatman

Enlightened
I have the 2014 PD 35 and it's fantastic -- but I don't like its cool tint.

Peace Train

Enlightened
I'm not sure about brightness. I'd probably lean toward the one on the right, although I tend to prefer the tint and overall beam qualities of the one on the left. Let the others chime in and see what they think before revealing.

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
The right appears to have more flood and definitely has a cooler tint. It might be a bit brighter but as it's been pointed out this can tricky to tell by eye when tint and other factors are added. I'm relatively new to flashlight study and once thought brilliant/blue was brighter and better. I now prefer a more neutral color which can actually be more useful in a variety of situations. My 2013 PD35 has plenty of flood. Based on these pics, I prefer the one on the left, for the color. I'm surprised there are no identifying markings on the new one. What's the thinking there? I note box says the 2014 has a "70 degree wide beam for maximum coverage". I have no idea what the 2013 was.

Last edited: