Fenix or Thrunite?

BloodCleanSoul

Enlightened
Time for a new light! Fenix or Thrunite? Looking at the PD35 2014 (960lm) or the TN12 2014 (1050lm)….Those who own one or the other, thoughts? Which one has better beam? Brighter Hotspot? I read through Selfbuilts reviews of both and saw the white wall shots but still need some clarity from those who have one or both! Looking for some field experience. Is the Thrunite waterproof? Is the $20 extra for the Fenix really worth it?

kj2

Flashaholic
I would choose Fenix a 100 times over Thrunite. Yes, it's more expensive, but the quality is better IMO. I also have better experience with Fenix CS.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose Fenix a 100 times over Thrunite. Yes, it's more expensive, but the quality is better IMO. I also have better experience with Fenix CS.
+1 Though I can't speak for Thrunite CS, my take is that with a few exceptions - older Catapult models? - and generally speaking Fenix quality tends to be higher. Some people may disagree though as Thrunite often offer firefly modes, full lion compatibility and nice clips for some of their models.

Check selfbuilt reviews of the PD35 and TN12 adn draw your own personal conclusions.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with those who suggest reading reviews of both. I own many more Fenix than Thrunite, but the new Thrunites I have purchased demonstrate a much higher build quality than the older ones. Current offerings also suggest an attempt to keep current with the needs/wants of the general flashlight population. I own lights that cannot compete apples to apples, so I cannot give an item by item punch list. I have not dealt with Thrunite warranty, but a couple of emails with questions have been answered promptly. Fenix CS has always been good to me. If you can't decide, FourSevens is always a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on Fenix and the way they are spewing lights out i would not be surprised to see them compete head on with Led Lenser in the far more lucrative retail stores.

BloodCleanSoul

Enlightened
FourSevens is my normal choice….I have a QT2L-X but would like something with a smooth reflector and high lumens. I read the reviews and they both seemed like great lights but I just wasn't sold on the Thrunite for some reason…I'm beginning to see a bit of a pattern here…Seems like my hunch was right!

Big Elf

Newly Enlightened
I've got the Fenix PD35 (not the 2014 version) and the ThruNite TN12 2014. I'm fairly new to LED flashlights so my observations might not be that useful compared to more knowledgeable people.

I can't really detect a difference in brightness at the Turbo setting between the two, that is around 850 lumens and 1050 lumens for the PD35 and TN12 respectively. The PD35 'steps down' after 5 minutes on Turbo then after 30 minutes on High irrespective of the head temperature. The TN12 doesn't appear to step down but the head gets extremely hot after 10-15 minutes on Turbo.

The PD35 has a more focused throw and slightly better flood and has noticeably better build quality and the knurling is 'sharper'. My particular TN12 has a big scratch on the LED. You can use the head from either on the tube and switch from the other so that means I can use the TN12 head with the PD35 Tube and Tactical switch unit.

The original PD35 may still be available at a price slightly more than the TN12. There were a few for sale in the UK at £40 compared to the normal price of £60 but I think they may have been sold now.

ven

Flashaholic
I like both brands,imo thrunite are catching up and offer some excellent lights right now,however out of your given choice personally the pd35 is my 1st choice:thumbsup:

Shiftyk5

Newly Enlightened
The PD35 is a fantastic light, I own a modded version. It's perfect in just about very way but one, it has no moonlight mode. That's the only place the Thrunite wins IMO. I really wish Fenix would start putting a true moonlight mode on their lights. The lowest setting of 12 lumens is just way too bright for me.

The PD35 still wins

cagenuts

Enlightened
The PD35 is a fantastic light, I own a modded version. It's perfect in just about very way but one, it has no moonlight mode. That's the only place the Thrunite wins IMO.

Yes indeed, the lack of a firefly mode is severely lacking. I also like the fact that the TN12 is available in NW but to me the build quality is excellent and compares favourably to my array of Fenix lights (granted only five).

If you need NW and/or low mode then look at the TN12, if not get the PD35. There's also the Zebra Light SC600 and the Nitecore P12 (on fleabay for $40).

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
nekWoPg.jpg

rAeaKcK.jpg

p12 pd35 tn12 all very similar and they all share the same stupid side button interface. no control over what mode they will turn on at

just get a Foursevens QP2L-X, you'll love the size, the deep-carry option, the moonlight mode. most importantly the user-interface doesnt suck!

side by side all these lights are pretty much equal, the eagletac just a tad weaker

Last edited:

drummer132132

Enlightened
Time for a new light! Fenix or Thrunite? Looking at the PD35 2014 (960lm) or the TN12 2014 (1050lm)….Those who own one or the other, thoughts? Which one has better beam? Brighter Hotspot? I read through Selfbuilts reviews of both and saw the white wall shots but still need some clarity from those who have one or both! Looking for some field experience. Is the Thrunite waterproof? Is the $20 extra for the Fenix really worth it?

Hey,

Just throwing this out there as an alternative because its in the same class as the PD35/TN12. Since you're in the browsing mode of lights take a look at the SRT5 from Nitecore. I used to own a PD35 and LOVED it but over the course of time I didn't quite like the UI as sometimes I'd leave the light in a higher brightness setting and when turning it on I had to keep in mind not to blind myself or others. With the SRT5, since it has a magnetic control ring, you can preset the level you want before turning on. Big bonus since we have a newborn and I use it to check up on him once or twice in the night and it helps to be able to start in a moonlight mode and go from there. Some things I miss about the PD35 was its hotspot/spill. The PD35 has an awesome hotspot with really decent spill. The SRT5 doesn't have a drastically smaller hotspot but it is noticeable.

Good Luck

Last edited: