Liberate your headlamp!

HammerHill

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF,

I'm wondering if anyone else prefers headlamp-style (reflector = 90 degrees to body tube) flashlights to the standard "out-the-front" style? If so, why or why not? I started to use my Zebralight h52w as a handheld torch, and now it's my go-to light for most everything - I love being able to stand it next to whatever I'm working on and use it as a lantern, or clip it to my shirt pocket for headlamp utility without the dorky headband!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angle heads make nice flashlights, the ability to rotate the light to point the beam while clipped or mounted to something is one big added advantage. The downside is that heads have shallow reflectors so they won't throw much - but it's fine for headlamp use. I just clip and roll my traditional flashlight into my shirt collar (under an ear) for hands-free, and I EDC a DIY wallet lantern diffuser, which also has a 90-reflector. I'd buy another 90-angle light if I could find one that I liked though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Moving this to the Headlamp forum. Please post in proper forums. See FORUM index.

Bill

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angle lights are good for certain purposes. For instance, I can set my H600 on a table and use it as a lantern (as mentioned above). But for hand carrying, they can be tiring. It just doesn't feel very natural to carry an angle light vertically while walking around.

mobi

Newly Enlightened
Out walking at night, I'll have a pure flood Zebralight headlamp on my head to light the immediate vicinity, and in my hand carry a Zebra headlamp with a hotspot to light up farther objects. At rest, that is, with the arm swinging as I walk and the hand pointing down, the fingers naturally grip the light in a way that the index finger rests on the switch, so that I can quickly swing the light into position while switching it to the setting I want.