PT Impact XL vs Streamlight 4AA 7 LED

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the PT Impact XL and returned it. I just didn't think the luminosity/weight ratio was that impressive. I gather from reading other posts that the SL might be better but in any case if I were you I'd purchase it at REI (or MEC in Canada) because of their relatively liberal return policies. I bought one at REI and returned it, saving my money for a 1W luxeon light that can handle full power. Oddly, the Impact XL was not much better than the PT Matrix2 headlight, although 2 x the battery power and at least 2 x the weight. Other metal 1 W luxeon lights reviewed here seem far better. PT might put the 1W LED on top of their old 2 AA hand-held that I believe they discontinued- might be a better light for the price and weight.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
So I guest that the PT Impact XL isn't as good as PT describe it on the web site. I have read about the Impact XL a few months back and can't wait to actually see it but it looks like it's junk...

Unfortunately, Canadian MEC doesn't carry that light yet. I'm hoping they will carry it soon as I want to check it.

Anyone know who have a review on the Impact XL?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Calgary if you do a search of these forums you'll see lots of personal testimony starting with someone who purchased one of the first ones at Ramsey Outdoors in New Jersey...The word "disappointment" is in a lot of the comments. On the other hand, if you do a same search on the SL I think you'll see more people happy with that model. I've been a PT fan for years but know that not everything they make is the greatest and also the Luxeon power is limited by the plastic material used due to heat. I still like to support them though because they've been very responsive to those of us in the outdoor conservation business (good technical support) and I believe they donated many lights on 9/11. I think most people who buy this light will be people who are just looking for a very reliable, waterproof, solid light that lasts far longer than your typical 4AA light, and don't know how bright a Luxeon can really get when fully powered. That includes most people that visit the stores where they are sold, but if you are really looking for the best AA LED lights there are others described in these forums that appear to be much better. In addition to the Streamlight I haven't bought one yet but the ARC light can be purchased with a AA battery case, and I'm sure there are other Luxeons as well. Hope that helps.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far the best "bang for the buck" Luxeon AA lights (IMHO) seem to be the MagLite 2AAs with a BadBoy/MadMax module; very compact, bright and have the added value that they can digest alkalines, NiMHs or Lithiums and make the most of them.

I gave the Streamlight 4AA 7LED to a friend for a gift and it does seem to be a very nice light...but I worry a bit about all of the posts I've read about overheating this plastic light and deforming the reflector, etc.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Maybe I'll pickup the Impact XL once that it comes to Canada. My use is more for emergency and not a daily use light. I want something of long lasting AA LED light but brighness is not as important as reliability (can't take a chance that the reflector melt). Too bad that they didn't put a circutry that will allow me to use 3 LED then 7 LED on second click. ARC LS are nice but I can't spend $150 on a light that I might never use...

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a long-running AA light, get an Arc AA or CMG Infinity Ultra. For an even longer running one, get a CMG Infinity. These are bright enough for most situations where you need a long running light.

I think the SL4AA overheating stuff was only with the early ones and they've since fixed the resistors to lower the power a little.

It may be that the SL4AA is more reliable than a single-LED light. If one of the SL4AA's leds goes out, the rest still work.

If you want a real last ditch emergency light, get a Tek-Tite Trek Lithium. It uses a special 3.6 volt Li AA battery with 20+ year shelf life, runs for 60+ hours, and has no electronics to to fail other than the LED.

BTW, you can get an Arc LS for around 60 USD either from one of Peter's specials or on BST if you keep an eye out. It's a much nicer light than a Minimag+sandwich. Another alternative is a Surefire KL1 head with the Vitalgear 2AA/3x123 battery pack. It's a little larger than a Minimag and gives you a 1 watt Luxeon light with 8+ hours of runtime on three 123's. That would also be about 60 USD.

charliek

Enlightened
I bought the Impact XL at Ramsey- it is not what the PT web site touts it to be... The beam is butt-ugly and it's not NEARLY as bright as any other 1W luxeons I have ever seen. the beam IS very white and it seems to be made rugged and waterproof.... but for $40 it's a ripoff.
Want to drop $40 and be impressed? Get a MadMad+wo drop in for your Minimag- it's a fraction of the size of the XL and throws light like a monster. For the space you save- take an extra battery pack with you.

For the question of Streamlight 7LED.... I'd go with that light every time over the XL- I've had one for quite a while now- and used it extensively- I've never had it overheat. I bought one for my Dad- he loves it.

It's nearly half the price of the XL and outperforms it in every way. It will be some time befor I buy another PT light... the XL really put a bad taste in my mouth.

charliek

Enlightened
Oh, and by the way- I emailed Princeton Tec abou the XL- I sent beamshots I had taken against the CMG reactor (2 2AA Luxeon light that is *very* close to the same brightness) and measurements I had taken while the light was running- (116ma draw... that's about .6w guys) I asked them if this was normal, or did I get a defective unit.... No response... zero....

Want to spend 35-40 on a Luxeon light? Get a Streamlight 3AA Luxeon tasklight. Built tough- brighter than the XL by a good margin- reliable- and a GOOD VALUE at 35 bucks.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Paulr, thanks for mentioning the other long lasting lights.

I'll probably get the Streamlight 4AA LED then since the PT is a bad light. I though low light output mean that the battery will last longer and less chance of killing the light. But I guest that it's not always the case.

Kram

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
Want to spend 35-40 on a Luxeon light? Get a Streamlight 3AA Luxeon tasklight. Built tough- brighter than the XL by a good margin- reliable- and a GOOD VALUE at 35 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to second the opinion regarding the SL 3AA tasklight. I just got one and am VERY pleased. Some on the forum have complained about green tinted luxeons on this light, but mine is the whitest of my lights.

Mark

charliek

Enlightened
View the SL tasklight alone, it looks fine.... maybe a slight greenish tint towards the edges..... view it next to an
ARC LSH-P and it's GREEN... (Some folks are just spoiled)
They must keep in mind the ARC costs nearly 4x as much (Arc lsh-p is $148) as the SL product.

The SL Tasklight is a good value for the money- good beam quality- a nice light output- very well made. I have yet to be disappointed by *any* Streamlight product.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
BTW, you can get an Arc LS for around 60 USD either from one of Peter's specials or on BST if you keep an eye out. It's a much nicer light than a Minimag+sandwich. Another alternative is a Surefire KL1 head with the Vitalgear 2AA/3x123 battery pack. It's a little larger than a Minimag and gives you a 1 watt Luxeon light with 8+ hours of runtime on three 123's. That would also be about 60 USD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who and where I can find this Peter's Special?