NES - The console of all time

Catapult

Enlightened
The Nintendo Entertainment System was the longest lasting video game console. It also sold the most units of all consoles to date. But who cares?

What I love about it is that it is my childhood console. I grew up with it. So many memories, and so many games. More than 200 games were available for it! I've probably played over 150 games, and I own only about 70 games. And yep, I still fire up the NES and play it occasionally. Perhaps it is due to nostolgia, but I know for sure I still play them becuase these type of games are no longer being made, and they're just so much fun!

Who could forget Super Mario Brothers? Or the Konami code: up up down down left right left right B A select start? Or even the music? Due to computing limitations, early NES games had to use certain sounds to simulate music. The composers did a pretty god job. It is very easy to catch on to the tunes and sing it later. To do that with today's games, I think it would be pretty difficult.

Hey, remember seeing other kids blowing into the game cartridges because of the notorius gray and scrambled screens due to dust? Most people tend to mistreat their games, and simply throw them around or leave them without the sleaves. But when you get through the dust, they work just fine. They're so durable. But if you're like me, keep your games free from dust, and treat them well, then you don't have to do the "blow the dust off" routine. Most of my games works the first time, every time.

There are so many good points. How about the battery backed memory? That's so much more convenient than today's memory cards. I think the NES has the lightest controllers around. I can play for 24 hours straight and not feel the weight of the controller (oh, but the thumb cramps). Remember the Zapper? Hone your marksmanship by playing Duck Hunt and the like. Ooooh, the 4 player adapter. I have some 4 player games. Anyone wanna play several rounds of World Cup? I think this is the best part: reasonable graphics with... no load times! I've got more recent consoles, but none gives me the same feeling as the NES. Anyone still have theirs? Anyone still play with theirs?

BTW, if you're looking to sell your NES games or accessories, drop me a PM, and we'll chat.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading about the up up down down, I have started looking for a NES system of my own. I grew up with NES and games like Contra, Duck Hunt (sometimes putting the gun right in front of the TV for those pesky ducks), Mario, Air Wolf, Operation Wolf, Excite Bike, Double Dragon, and Master Blaster. The controls were light but not very ergonomic.

I remember telling my parents ''This is the last game you will ever have to buy me because its the best!'' and ''Its so much cheaper playing at home than playing at the arcade!''

On ebay NES systems are selling for about as much as they cost when new. I wonder what a unopened NES system would be worth a few years down the line from now?

FNG

Enlightened
Got all this at a garage sale here for $5. Works good as new. Needs some more games though.

You have to right click, copy shortcut, then paste in browser to view pics. Or click and hold on the link, then drag it to the browser.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nes was a good system, i recall trading excitebike for kungfu with a friend one time, but other than that i have a hard time remembering that far back...
the genisis was my first system after that, and at a time when i wam able to remember things from better.

i downloaded a nintendo emulator a while ago, with 150 games, some of the games being copys with altered graphics. for example, mario brothers, and instead of the green pipes, they were....something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only home game I've actually seen and played was the Atari 2600 VCS.
Games like Breakout, Pong, Tanks, Biplane, and such were common to find with the system. Then there were games like Pac Man and Asteroids. Although certainly not rare, you didn't see these games as frequently as the others.

200fr

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a NES from ebay i am waiting for it to arrive tomorrow, i already recieved one of the games in the mail that i also bought which is"roadblasters" i also bought super mario brothers, paperboy and rc pro am. On the other hand i played with my friends gamecube 2 days ago, they have em on ebay for pretty cheap i think i'll pick one up

Catapult

Enlightened
200fr, oooh, Roadblasters. Although far from the best games for the NES, it's fun for a while, but it gets frustrating from chasing those green and orange fuel globes! Prepare your thumbs. It's 50 levels (~2.5 hours) if you choose not to skip along the way.

FNG, I still have that poster in one of the photos. It makes me drool at the games that I don't have. Man, why did Gamestop buy FuncoLand? That used to be my best source for used NES game cartridges. Now the only source for it is on Ebay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

V8TOYTRUCK, putting the zapper to the screen, ay? Where's the fun in that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't like some of the emulators. They either have altered graphics as Roth has montioned, distorted sound, or poor performance (it also depends on the individual roms as well). Really detracts from the actual game. On the other hand, if the emulator is coded very well, I would like to have crack at it. I have a very good SNES emulator. Produces graphics and sound that is close to the real thing.

So, anyone for a game of Bad News Baseball? I've butchered everyone who played against me.

Catapult

Enlightened
Emulators and roms that can be downloaded to your hard drive used to be abundant throughout the net. Now it is mostly dead links and websites. Does anyone know why? I think that there might have been a "crack down" on such places by perhaps the companies that created the games and systems.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
try this i googled it so scan all files I REAPEAT SCAN FILES cant be to carefull
so scan all files lol
scan these

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i can't get that dam online emulator to go slow enough, even when it's turned down all the way.
and i'm on dialup!

Catapult

Enlightened
I've had trouble with the online emulator when I first stumbled upon it more than a year ago. Can't seem to get it to work properly. I've played or currently own most of the games there, so I went directly to my NES instead.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i only tried mario 3...maybe that's the problem?

or maybe that is normal speed, and the compute controls are just too foreign?