RRT-01 + D25LC2 = perfect EDC :)

industriemechaniker

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys!

Recently I bought a Jetbeam RRT-01 with magnetic control ring.
I really liked the functionality of a fully variable output control, but the beam of the flashlight wasn't too pleasing for my taste, cause I'm a big fan of a good throw and the stock RRT-01 is quite floody.

I had an Eagletac D25LC2 on my shelf collecting dust, since I got a Nitecore EC2. The Eagletac is the twisty version and tends to skip modes, which is rather annoying.

I disassembled both flashlights an made some measurements to find out, how to combine the fully variable brightness control of the jetbeam with the good throw of the Eagletac.

The Eagletac was already modified with an XP-G2 S2, so I unsoldered the LED and put it into the Jetbeam. I removed the o-ring from the reflector and grinded down the outer diameter a little bit to make it fit.
The LOP reflector of the Eagletac is a bit longer and has got a larger diameter than the Jetbeam reflector, so the bezel from the Jetbeam wouldn't fit and the threading wouldn't reach the tube anyway.

I fixed the Eagletac bezel onto the tube with some two-component filling, and grinded down the excess filling.
I went to work and lathed a piece of Aluminum to a tight fit to cover bezel and tube and add stability to the construction.
The diameter of the bezel is 22,5mm, the tube is 22,9mm and the outer diameter of the Aluminum tube is 25mm.

The result is my personal favourite EDC.

An unmodified D25LC2 XP-G2 R5 has got a throw of 9000lux@1m. I used an XP-G2 S2 for my project, which is driven harder in the RRT-01 with 18350 IMR.
My modified Nitecore EC2 with XP-G2 S3(stock: XP-G2 R5) is as bright on turbo as my modified RRT-01. An unmodified EC2 has got a throw of 9500lux@1m.

My modified RRT-01 supposedly reaches over 10000lux@1m, which is double the performance of a stock RRT-01 with XM-L2 :)

I wanted to attach some pictures, but it seems I don't have permission.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking forward to seeing as well. If you need, Email the pic to me and I'll post them.

jamielorrie (at) yahoo (dot) com

industriemechaniker

Newly Enlightened
DSCN0605_zps51e32bd0.jpg

DSCN0606_zpse1a0b13b.jpg

DSCN0607_zpsdda50d07.jpg

DSCN0608_zps9c4852e7.jpg

EC2 XP-G2 S3 turbo on the left, RRT-01 XP-G2 S2 max on the right.

If someone is interested, how I openened the EC2 to mod it without breaking the glass, I drilled a small hole in the stainless steel ring with a 1mm drill and pulled it out with a scriber.

As can bee seen, the hotspot is about the same size as the EC2 hotspot, which is known to be a really good thrower for a small sized reflector flashlight.

Last edited:

industriemechaniker

Newly Enlightened
Today I ripped my RRT-01 apart and dedomed the LED. A great miniature thrower got even better :thumbsup:
The tint is also much more pleasing now.

industriemechaniker

Newly Enlightened
I unsoldered the wires and took out the LED including its base plate. On an other flashlight I tried dedoming without disassembling but the thermal grease got dissolved in the nitro and made it very dirty. So I removed the grease from the base before soaking the LED in nitro this time. It took about 1.5 hours and the dome fell off and left a clean phosphor. I removed the nitro with some alcohol.

The hotspot is very intense now and much brighter than the hotspot from the EC2 on turbo.

I did some searching and found out, that my mobile phone has got a luxmeter built in so I did some testing.

lux@1m

Nitecore EA41 27.9k
Thrunite T30s dd 2A 24.6k
Nitecore EC2 XP-G2 S3 9.7k
Jetbeam RRT-01 XP-G2 S2 dd 13.7k
Thrunite Ti dd 10440 5.1k

So the range to 0.25lux is 234m

The calculated lux@1m from measured lux@2m is

EA41 26.4k
EC2 9.2k
RRT-01 13.3k

Range to 0.25lux is 230m

I found out that dedomed tint is much better suited for outdoor use than ordinary cool white. Subjectively my T30S outthrows my EA41. Nature, like green leaves for example, is barely visible in cool white light, while the slightly yellow tint of a dedomed LED illuminates trees very well.

Last edited: