Maratac aaa rev 3 question

Mgizler

Enlightened
Ok guys just a quick question here. I recently picked up a new rev 3 maratac aaa after carrying a copper maratac aaa for months.

I really love the Cu aaa maratac as the low (1.8lumens) is nice at night when checking on the kids and not feeling blinded when I turn it on.

I did not really think that I needed a 3 mode for just the medium, but thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. Plus it is listed to have a lower (1.5lumen) low. Should be even better.

Well I received my light 2 weeks ago an have yet to get used to the fact that the low is brighter than my Cu aaa version. I understand that they are different emitters and all but there is a huge difference.

The 1.5lm from the rev 3 almost seems like the 5 Lumen low from a fenix I used to own. It's more than double the output of the Cu aaa version.

I still like the light and continue to carry it. But reluctantly use it at night as it's pretty bright on the low. Sort of hurts my night vision.

And if you all are wondering, in sure someone would ask, I hold the light in my left hand with my palm covering the light. So when I switch the light on, and it turns on in medium, my vision is not affected, then I promptly switch it again to the second ,Low,setting.

Anyone else have the same experience.

Again love the light, just wanted to ask.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

gaiageek

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering buying this light, and this is one drawback I see as well: the low not being low enough. One suggestion: try using a plastic lip balm cap (i.e. Chapstick) as a light diffuser. I keep one on my iTP EOS and have come to prefer the diffused light it gives off when making late night trips to the bathroom. To preserve night vision even more, you can try colored caps (Burt's Bees' lip balm sticks have orange and I believe red caps). All this is assuming they fit nicely on the end of the rev 3.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I've been considering buying this light, and this is one drawback I see as well: the low not being low enough. One suggestion: try using a plastic lip balm cap (i.e. Chapstick) as a light diffuser. I keep one on my iTP EOS and have come to prefer the diffused light it gives off when making late night trips to the bathroom. To preserve night vision even more, you can try colored caps (Burt's Bees' lip balm sticks have orange and I believe red caps). All this is assuming they fit nicely on the end of the rev 3.

It is a drawback for me. After I wrote this thread, I had to turn the light on low to check something in the house, and once again it was too bright for my adjusted night vision. I have the diffuser that comes with the light, and it works great, however, I do not like having to keep it with the light just to make it a softer beam.

I find myself using my peak eiger aaa more at night as it can produce a very low low that's great for looking around the house and checking on the kids At night.

The maratac aaa rev 3 is a great light and I love it, just disappointed with the low being to bright for night time use.

The Cu aaa maratac low is great for night time use. I would consider getting one I those if you are looking int purchasing one.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
The Cu aaa maratac low is great for night time use. I would consider getting one I those if you are looking int purchasing one.

Quickly, as I believe it is going to rev 3 as well.

I'm in complete agreement. I love a low-low and prefer LMH to MLH.

Ken

Mgizler

Enlightened
Quickly, as I believe it is going to rev 3 as well.

I'm in complete agreement. I love a low-low and prefer LMH to MLH.

Ken

I think you are correct.

They are great little lights, just to bright of a low for me at night. I find myself using this light during the day, but slowly loosing pocket time to the Cu aaa, and my peak eiger 219 nichia. That light has a super low low.

I also do not understand the MLH. I would much rather the light come on in low.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Yeah, I have 3 Eigers (4 but one is MIA ;) ) and they are great. My favorite AAA by far.

Ken

I would have to agree. I love the aaa platform, and the eiger does not disappoint. Tons of light with a li-on but enough light with an alkaline.

Mine is funny about what kind of lithium batteries it likes.

I have been planning on picking up an eiger x.

Great company to deal with. Robyn is amazing.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
I bought both an X and an Ultra X. I only use the regular Eigers. You give up the tiny format for (IMO) not much gain in light. On 10440s the base Eigers are plenty bright.

The Nichia Mule Lug is on my keys and the neutral pocket is the one MIA (wearing the clip from the Maratac ;) )

Ken

Mgizler

Enlightened
I bought both an X and an Ultra X. I only use the regular Eigers. You give up the tiny format for (IMO) not much gain in light. On 10440s the base Eigers are plenty bright.

The Nichia Mule Lug is on my keys and the neutral pocket is the one MIA (wearing the clip from the Maratac ;) )

Ken

That's good to know. Maybe I will just stick with the regular eiger 219. But get it in brass!!

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
The TI Illuminati is IPX-7 water resistance. Anyone know what the Maratac AAA is?