Sc52 vs lenslight mini,, what are your thoughts ?

oldeng95

Enlightened
I googled results and found no comparison . So I thought who has both ?
Let me know your ideas / thoughts and what triumphs .
For the price range tho I feel we are getting close to macs customs territory .
Thanks Paul

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an aluminum 1xCR123 lenslight mini from 2-3 years ago, with a high CRI XPG emitter. My impressions:

1. It's a zoomable aspheric light. Works very similar to the many budget zoom lights such as the Sipik 68, but is much more solidly built.
2. Like the budget aspherics, the beam pattern is fully adjustable. It's a nice beam for a zoom light... none of the rings that cheap zoom lights tend to have. But it's not perfect. The flood mode isn't very wide and like all zoom lights it feels somewhat less bright than reflector lights due to the lack of any hotspot.
3. The light only had 2 modes: 20 lumen and 200 lumen. And you only got the modes if you used disposable CR123. The light ran fine on 16340, but it worked as a single mode 200 lumen light. The low mode is lost.
4. Protruding switch with no option for tailcap lockout. The light is not suitable for pocket EDC carry because it could easily accidentally turn on in the pocket and can't be locked out. It also can't tailstand.
5. The plastic delrin clip is by far the worst clip I've ever seen. It probably works ok on a thin nylon strap on a backpack. On anything else, such as the edge of your pocket, or your belt, it's worthless. It's extremely awkward and in most cases won't clip at all. unclipping the light from anything is also a 2-handed operation. It cannot be done one-handed. It also sticks far out from the side of the light and has sharp edges on all sides.
6. The light is built like a tank and very heavy ... but there's a downside: It's HUGE for what it is. It's basically the same size as an SC600 even though it runs on a much smaller battery and has a fraction of the output and runtime.
7. The sliding zoom mechanism came with too much grease in it. Every time I cycled the light, the bezel would extend and deposit a bunch of grease in the most natural spot to put my hand. If I wiped it off, a fresh batch of grease would get deposited the next time I zoomed the light. This can probably be fixed by disassembling the light and removing the pill, but that's the kind of thing I expect to have to do in a $10 budget light, not a $200 premium light.

I'm a fan of zoom flashlights. I probably own 20 of them and have very extensively modded some of them. I wasn't impressed with the lenslight. It was huge and heavy, impractical for EDC, and very low power. Many available aspheric budget lights were smaller and easily outperformed it in throw. If you really want a zoom light you might want to try a budget light first. Of course my impression of the lenslight mini was from 2 or 3 years ago. The emitter has changed even if the body looks unchanged.

In contrast the SC52 is a great light. It's very small. At a guess, probably half the size of the lenslight mini. Maybe less. It's one of the best pocket EDC lights available. In my opinion a far better light than lenslight.

Last edited:

oldeng95

Enlightened
Thanks for the input ., with all the colors and titanium options I would have thought it to be a premium edc light ,,, but looks can be deceiving

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Paul, I don't have the Lenslight Mini, but after looking at it on the website, here's what jumps out at me:

1. ZL SC52: $64.
Lenslight Mini: $160.

2. ZL SC52: 10 light levels + 2 strobe functions.
Lenslight Mini: 2 light levels.

3. ZL SC52: Low or high level available with one click from off.
Lenslight Mini: You can order either High first or Low first as an option.

4. ZL SC52: Can use commonly available AA alkaline or NiMh batteries, OR a 14500 lithium-ion cell for increased output on high.
Lenslight Mini: Uses CR123 or RCR123 battery.

5. ZL SC52: Uses electronic side switch.
Lenslight Mini: Uses forward McClicky mechanical tail switch, allowing momentary of constant on.

6. ZL SC52: Uses XM-L L2 LED, in either cool white or warm white, for a more floody beam.
Lenslight Mini: Uses a Premiun Bin HiCRI XPG-2 LED, probably giving a narrower beam.

7. ZL SC52: Glass front cover with Gorilla Glass AR coating.
Lenslight Mini: Patented Aspherical focusing system.

8. ZL SC52: Stainless Steel pocket clip attached with screws for bezel down carry.
Lenslight Mini: Removeable, reversible Delrin pocket clip.

9. Both lights seem well made and water resistant.

Main differences I see are the ZL having 10 light levels and electronic side switch, and running on common AA batteries (with lithium-ion option), while the Lenslight Mini has the Aspherical focusing system, uses CR123 or RCR123 batteries, and uses the mechanical rear tail switch.

Both seem like fine lights (I have the SC52w, so I am biased), but they seem like somewhat different creatures. It might be more apples to apples to compare the SC52 to something like a Led Lenser AA light.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

oldeng95

Enlightened
Too true ,, I was just on instagram and found it interesting that so many people we're fond of the mini,, not to knock the product or compare but it (to me anyways) it's like comparing a TAD knive to a sebenza 25 ,, I'm sure TAD makes a fine knive but 25 quality ,,, I think not.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks fireclaw, ive been on the edge of getting a lenslight mini for awhile now. you have reduced the "want" in me for the mini. :thumbsup:

ive read many reviews and such about the mini, but most reviews dont say much, besides the specifications. my interest is for its simplicity, and durability. but in reviews its specs, and positives are mentioned, but never its negatives. Or folks that dont have a great opinion about it, just doesnt share i guess. which is understandable. there are plenty of brands and lights i dont care for, which i dont ever comment on as well. Ive always felt there was a reason or reasons why lenslight was not more popular here.

anyways, i very much appreciate the honest points you made, especially by someone who has actually long term user experience with it.