HDS torture test question..

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,....

just wondering seeing torture tests done on a HDS where it was shot at with a .38, and a Prometheus Alpha light was tossed around some 37 times before the switch busted,...

So just wondering if the HDS switch would fail at the same rate of drops more or less even, considering its a totally different kind of switch.
I mean the alpha looks tough enough,...but everything I read HDS, it seems the toughest light around!.
37 drops on a switch and it fails is good but HDS could take more?.

thanks

billbebob

Newly Enlightened
Where did you see those tests at? Are they online videos? I would sure like to see that, maybe with a .357 magmun, or a good old .45 ACP:)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find torture tests to be a bit of a gimmick, most lights constructed in the same manner should hold up equally well and most of those lights can fail randomly just the same. The true test of a lights reliability/durability is, IMO, the test of time. Tells more about the light then dropping it 100 times on the ground. My SFs and Mags have over 20 years of use and they look it but still work like they did when new, didn't even know you were suppose to clean and lub the threads, mine are and always have been dry and squeaky yet NPs. My HDS on the other hand went doa after two years of light use (no pun intended). Again, just my opinion.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, P A S 1, but they are sure fun to watch! I love seeing people destroy their gear. Something very soothing to that. So in the end destruction kinda jazzy to me!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never do a torture test with one of my HDS. I would be afraid to break my concrete...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was always the famous HDS hockey at the old shot shows. I tend to agree though these can be kind of gimmicks and it really makes you upset when the light then fails for some stupid reason. I think the HDS double springs design though came about as analysis of some torture tests.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS used to have a picture on their homepage of an HDS Clicky that had been vigorously abused for over two-hours and never failed.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only will an HDS survive a bullet to the head, an EMP, a washing machine (on hot/warm heavy duty cycle), waist high concrete drops etc. but you can also ingest an HDS, and it will emerge unscathed.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know my HDS and Surefires are built tough and I don't worry about them failing mechanically. It's the software that usually fails. Bad programming or a bad chip/driver. This will usually give out pretty early on though so as said above, the best torture test is time. Once it's been around the block and hasn't failed I trust them.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Not only will an HDS survive a bullet to the head, an EMP, a washing machine (on hot/warm heavy duty cycle), waist high concrete drops etc. but you can also ingest an HDS, and it will emerge unscathed.

Lol! But you might not! :eek: :duh2:

:laughing:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although Henry claims that the clicky would definitely be tougher than the rotary design, I have dropped both my 200 rotary and 120 HCRI rotary multiple times with no issues other than sustaining a few dings on the tail end. The rotary dial on both still function flawlessly and the electronics still work on both. I will not abuse them deliberately just to proof a point, but neither will I baby them. I use them and let time proof their capabilities.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, P A S 1, but they are sure fun to watch! I love seeing people destroy their gear. Something very soothing to that. So in the end destruction kinda jazzy to me!

LOL, agreed.....some of the tests are entertaining.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I ever see an HDS on the market place posted by you I'll be passing up on that purchase.. :eek: ..

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol! But you might not! :eek: :duh2:

:laughing:

pssh walk in the park compared to PK's lineup:

vnovmu.jpg