3D-printable beamshots adapter

Superfonarik.ru

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

We were shooting beamshots for years, and were always having difficulties attaching flashlights to a tripod mount.
Various clamps and bike mounts were more or less ok, but all suffered from various problems, either being too slow to operate, or just not holding expensive items like Polarion HIDs firmly enough.

Finally, we came to custom-designing and 3D-printing of tripod adapter, and would like to share it with community.
Initially, the design was derived from our lab luxmeter stand, proved and easily-printed solution.

It's customizable for various tripods.
beamshot_head_preview_featured.jpg

We cut a slot in the middle to fit a cheap Velcro strap. Also it's designed to use two common rubber bands instead of Velcro.
Fully assembled version:
_____preview_featured.jpg

It's open-source and free to use: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:410392

We would appreciate any reviews and suggestions.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice design :) Don't have a 3D-printer (of course ;) ) and don't know anyone who has, but in the future this maybe come in handy.

Superfonarik.ru

Newly Enlightened
Things progress much faster than one may think :)
For us, just two years ago 3D-printers were something far away, sort of matter just discussed by geeks, and now there are two of them busy almost 24/7 in our own lab, and two dealers selling them just in our not-so-big Moscow business centre :)

In fact, there are lots of US companies who offer extremely cheap 3D-printing service, you upload files to them, and they mail out the things to you next business day. For just a couple of bucks :)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done :thumbsup:

Velcro works great for securing the lights while still allowing them to be changed out quickly and easily. I made something similar to your design (but much more primitive) a couple of years ago thinking I would make something better later on. Several hundred beamshots later, I'm still using it, but your design might be just the upgrade I need. Thanks for sharing it.

Jenifer512

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea! Awesome.. I guess 3D printing will be handy and really cool. Thanks for sharing this one.

Superfonarik.ru

Newly Enlightened
Velcro works well, but not best. As it does not stretch, there is always some rattling, which produces not-so-best fix.

We upgraded it last week (with an office stapler) to add a short strap of rubber band that we usually use in backpacks.
That produces a little tension, just right amount to ensure a secure fix.

____2_preview_featured.jpg