Glue for collimator?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
im nearing completion of my angle head flashlight creations.

very exciting!!! so far, i have used jb weld to hold everything together (except for using arctic alumina to mount the LS to the heatsink), so it should be a VERY durable mod.

all i have left is to glue the collimator (fraen LP) to the home-made collimator holder.

the problem? i could use super glue--but i want at least a minute or 2 to adjust the collimator for the best beam. i like the idea of a clear glue, because i dont want the glue (or excess glue) to goof the beam up.

any suggestions?

thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
(got my TT2L...verrrrrrry nice! my wife loves her new jewelry box, anne klein watch and the reservation to swim with the dolphins at Disney in late january!!)

Bob

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I have tried cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) on the Fraens and it gives off fumes that tend to etch a cloudy finish into the optic. Read a little more about it HERE.

I would use something else, although I have not tried other adhesives yet.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
I use Goop (the Outdoor or Marine kind for UV resistance). Holds well, sets slow enough to adjust the parts and cures into a clear stiff non-brittle rubber.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent.

i will look for some goop, and avoid the CA.

i might experiment to see if i can VERY carefully place tiny amounts of jb weld on the collimator lip. i have a spare nx05 to toy around with.

i want these lights to be VERY tough.

thanks for the responses.

Bob

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
With optics, you want something that wont fume, or discolor later, some uv cure glue turn yellow over time, others stay clear, some epoxies too, may be crystal clear at first, but discolor later. honestly i have no clue how to find those, except when manufacturer says so, in other cases it is hit and miss. unless you use stuff that woodworkers use when building slab tables, that stuff stays clear for long, and is solid.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Its so many years after OP asked but If someone needs solution its UV curable glue. Its less visible, do no create fumes and last much longer than superglue. I know it because we used both of them and UV is really much better.