Klarus XT11 (new switch) vs Nitecore P20. Review and comparison.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
InOjxua.jpg

yCy7pe3.jpg

Klarus' dual-button tailcap design has been around for quite a while and has been very well received, providing users with direct access to strobe as well as the ability to change modes without changing your grip on the flashlight. The 3rd-generation of this design incorporated a metal "lever" over the strobe button. It was only a matter of time before someone would copy it :)

qufwfzE.jpg

(Nitecore P20 left. Klarus XT11 right)

Let's leave it to these two companies to duke it out in the courts but the similarity is obvious to say the least... Nitecore's "lever" seems to be die-cast metal, while Klarus' is stamped metal. The Klarus requires greater force to activate and has no tactile feedback. The Nitecore needs a very light push and has some tactile feedback, but with no audible click. I hate to say it but the copycat seems to have the better strobe button...

oGQa0WC.jpg

P20, smooth and very shallow which means a WIDE spillbeam i.e. less tunnel vision. XT11 has a deeper, heavily-textured reflector so has a smoother hotspot-to-spill transition

AT08481.jpg

P20 clip "lands" at the wrong spot. Very thin and flexy. XT11's is better

USER-INTERFACE

XT11: Main button always starts at HIGH. Once on, short-press with strobe button changes levels, descending (HIGH, MID, LOW). From OFF, the strobe button activates strobe (short press momentary, long press activates strobe continuously)

P20 is a bit more complicated. Has 3 mode groups. But strobe button always strobes from OFF (ALWAYS momentary only) in any mode group

Group1 P20 "Tactical Mode". Main button always starts at HIGH. Once on, strobe button toggles between strobe and high (long and short presses do the same thing)

Group2 P20 "Law Enforcement Mode". Main button always starts at HIGH. Once on, short presses on strobe button toggles between high and med (long press activates strobe)

Group3 P20 "General Mode". Main button starts at memorized mode, either low, med, high, or strobe (YES strobe can be memorized for the main button). Once on, short presses on strobe button changes levels (L, M, H) in ASCENDING order (long press activates strobe)

To change mode group, loosen head slightly, then press and hold the strobe button, then tighten head. The P20 flashes 1x, 2x, or 3x (tactical, LE, general mode, respectively). Repeat to get to the desired mode group.

CONCLUSION

Unfortunately for Klarus their latest version of the strobe button does feel very "mushy". I actually prefer the bare rubber switch without the metal lever over it. So I have to say the Nitecore implementation is better, though it does activate a bit too easily. Not a deal-breaker through.

I leave it to you to decide which UI works better for you but I have to point out that there's no mode group in the Nitecore that completely emulates the Klarus' behaviour. However I have to say that the Nitecore "General Mode" does allow it to be suitable as a general-purpose flashlight, something the Klarus couldn't do very well. Unfortunately the Nitecore's LOW setting doesn't go as low as the Klarus'...

The Klarus does have an advantage with the stainless steel bezel. Sharper and more agressive crenellations compared to the Nitecore.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

I love the Nitecore's mode groups, and if the strobe button is improved, even better. My one concern about Nitecore has been the question of quality -- doesn't seem to be quite at ZL lows, but I worry a bit about the "I dropped my once, it stopped working" stories. My Klarus's have been rock solid through many drops, etc.

A question about Nitecore's tactical mode. Can you confirm my understanding below?

From OFF:
- The primary button gives either momentary or constant-on access to high, based on whether you mash it down low enough to latch it on.
- The secondary button gives either momentary or constant-on access to strobe, based on whether you mash it down low enough to latch it on.

From ON in high:
- A slight press of the secondary button puts the light in strobe, until you let go of the button, in which case the light goes back onto high
- A full press of the secondary button puts the light in constant-on strobe

Whew, that was harder to write than it should be. The above is what I think of as the most intuitive interface, just wondering if it works that way.

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you for the review/comparison :) i do like the look of the p20 for a work light,especially with its more compact form factor(over the klarus anyway) for easy pocket carry(works overalls).Burst or short turbo use is required so forward clicky is preferred in my work and anywhere around 200lm-300lm is more than adequate for longer use.

Seems like the p20 is a good contender when i decide on "another" work light at a later date:)

outofdoor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I love the Nitecore's mode groups, and if the strobe button is improved, even better. My one concern about Nitecore has been the question of quality -- doesn't seem to be quite at ZL lows, but I worry a bit about the "I dropped my once, it stopped working" stories. My Klarus's have been rock solid through many drops, etc.

A question about Nitecore's tactical mode. Can you confirm my understanding below?

From OFF:
- The primary button gives either momentary or constant-on access to high, based on whether you mash it down low enough to latch it on.
- The secondary button gives either momentary or constant-on access to strobe, based on whether you mash it down low enough to latch it on.

From ON in high:
- A slight press of the secondary button puts the light in strobe, until you let go of the button, in which case the light goes back onto high

Whew, that was harder to write than it should be. The above is what I think of as the most intuitive interface, just wondering if it works that way.

Agree with you. The StrobeReady button is facility.

Fumer Tue

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... interesting.

The P20 showed up in SHOT SHOW 2014, months before XT11's launch.
Got me wondering who is the copy cat as well (though I do not actually care for this :nana:)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

From OFF:

From ON in high:

from off, the secondary button is always momentary only. here it differs from the klarus

from on, short press on secondary button changes modes. but in group1 "tactical mode" the only other mode is strobe so in this group short press gives you strobe. long press also activates strobe just like in the other mode groups.

btw the term "full press" doesn't apply to the secondary button because physically it's a momentary-only electronic switch i.e. like mouse button, so i use "long press" and "short press"

Xak

Enlightened
How well does XT11 tailstand? Can it be used without crenelated bezel?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
How well does XT11 tailstand? Can it be used without crenelated bezel?

This is a tactical light. Should have easy access to buttons so its not supposed to tailstand. So it doesn't :)

Yep can be used without bezel I.e. it doesn't retain the lens and reflector assembly like on other designs. So theoretically better impact resistance for the glass lens. Will try to take a picture later...